PDA

View Full Version : Coopers or mickeys?

PATmyROL
10th May 2012, 08:16 PM
Hi all,

I will soon be in need of a new set of tyres for my gu 16" steel rims and am tossing up between cooper st maxx or AT3's or a set of Mickey T's ATZ 4 rib. I'm in the Melbourne area and was wondering if anyone has found a good price for either of the 3 or has a recommendation on which to choose and why. Am willing to travel for a good price/fitter. Any advice greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Mick.

AB
13th May 2012, 04:47 PM
Not getting much response mate. I don't use either so hopefully someone can give you some feedback.

growler2058
13th May 2012, 05:44 PM
I love my MTZ's and wifey has em on her Prado also
BigRig swears by the MT ATZ

Bigrig
13th May 2012, 06:01 PM
I love my MTZ's and wifey has em on her Prado also
BigRig swears by the MT ATZ

Yep, the ATZ 4 Rib are superb ... Great compromise tyre (great for both on and off road I mean)

blackhooded
13th May 2012, 07:29 PM
hey i'm doing about the same as you at the minute but in the 285 75 r16 i'm down in ballarat looking for st maxx $330 fitted and giving a call on wednesday to see about the atz and Federal Couragia muddies.
i'll try and let you know and see if you and i can get a better price

nissanluvr
13th May 2012, 08:55 PM
hey bud i tryd the federals and most of my mates not one of us was happy with them they mite b a bit cheaper but i would deffently spend a little extra and get a known brand. good in mud but horrible on wet bitchy and dont get many ks out of them and side walls are week.

nissannewby
13th May 2012, 11:14 PM
Mickeys are the go for an all round exceptional tyre the coopers you may find will get slightly more k's but at a loss to on and offroad performance.

snicko
13th May 2012, 11:22 PM
Coopers...........Love my coopers but hey they are both made in the same factory!

Clunk
13th May 2012, 11:29 PM
Ive got the MT ATZ's on mine fairly recently, so far so good find the heaps better than me old BFG AT's............................... 33" x 12.5" MT ATZ's will be somewhere in the region of $350 each, maybe more, maybe less, so a good idea to ring around a few places..........

Clunk
13th May 2012, 11:31 PM
Coopers...........Love my coopers but hey they are both made in the same factory!

they certainly are but definitely have different characteristics

blackhooded
14th May 2012, 06:49 AM
hey bud i tryd the federals and most of my mates not one of us was happy with them they mite b a bit cheaper but i would deffently spend a little extra and get a known brand. good in mud but horrible on wet bitchy and dont get many ks out of them and side walls are week.

thank man it nice to read good and bad first hand

ozzymalone
14th May 2012, 10:31 AM
Glad you said that about the Federals Nissanluvr as I was seriously considering them but can find any "real life" reviews on them!

taslucas
14th May 2012, 10:48 AM
Glad you said that about the Federals Nissanluvr as I was seriously considering them but can find any "real life" reviews on them!

My brother has them on his troopy in 35" and although I haven't seen them in proper mud, they are quite useless on the harder greasy clay. (but that could be cause its a toymota! Lol)

I have a with 33" mickeys mtz's on his GU, they are about %75 and damn slippery on the wet bitumen. I have cooper stt's fitted the same time as my mates mtz's, still got over %90 left with about the same k's. The Mickey mtz's have the edge off road when new but they wear quick.

But everyone has a different experience:)

Tap, crackle, pop

TimE
14th May 2012, 10:55 AM
Micky T is owned by Cooper Tires (since 2003), I wonder if they come out of the same factory and how much real difference, other than tread pattern, there really is.

I run Micky T FC IIs, they have been great for wear and drive really well on tar, gravel and are OK in mud. However, I have had one split around the bead, another two loose tread lugs and develop cracks across the face of the tyre, all had done around 35,000k and where replaced at 50% off new price.

Would I buy them again, probably not now since the warranty problems, never had similar issues with other brands I have used over the years. What would I buy next, well I'll probably come back here for advice.

taslucas
14th May 2012, 11:42 AM
Micky T is owned by Cooper Tires (since 2003), I wonder if they come out of the same factory and how much real difference, other than tread pattern, there really is.

I run Micky T FC IIs, they have been great for wear and drive really well on tar, gravel and are OK in mud. However, I have had one split around the bead, another two loose tread lugs and develop cracks across the face of the tyre, all had done around 35,000k and where replaced at 50% off new price.

Would I buy them again, probably not now since the warranty problems, never had similar issues with other brands I have used over the years. What would I buy next, well I'll probably come back here for advice.

There is a heap of difference in the rubber compound, Mickeys are softer so they have more grip but wear a bit faster.

Tap, crackle, pop

Lambroast
14th May 2012, 01:31 PM
Just swapped my Cooper S/T's for MT ATZ's. Noisy as hell, deadly in the wet on blacktop, and when one delaminated @ 110km's it was time for them to go.
Got 45k out of them + ??kms on before I bought the GQ. Would I go coopers again ? Probably not. Very happy with the MT's so far. Far quieter and softer ride.
I asked questions on this forum before I bought and basically found each to their own.... 50/50 good/bad on all brands.. Not really much help to be honest.

MEGOMONSTER
14th May 2012, 07:47 PM
My choice would be the Coopers ST MAXX and I cant find pricing much different anywhere I go, almost like no one gets a better discount on Cooper tyres from wholesalers

taslucas
14th May 2012, 08:02 PM
My choice would be the Coopers ST MAXX and I cant find pricing much different anywhere I go, almost like no one gets a better discount on Cooper tyres from wholesalers

I got 4 Cooper stt's 33" X 12.5" on 15" X 8" Black Dynamica rims for $400 each fitted and balanced. I think the rims were worth about $60 each.

knakkers
19th May 2012, 06:01 PM
I put Cooper S/T Maxx 285/75R16's (33's) on my GU about 3weeks ago, done about 800kms. Very impressed with the tire on the black stuff, very quiet & smooth. Yet to try them out on the bush tracks tho. Gotta wait till Queens B'day weekend for that, heading to Dargo area
I used to have Mickey Thompson MTZ's prior to that, found they wore to quickly, the ride is no where near as smooth or quiet as the S/T Maxx
I'd definatly go the S/T Maxx

megatexture
19th May 2012, 10:08 PM
go the cooper st if they are mostly for on- road use you won’t regret it .

on a side note I’ve got some dynamic rims on my hilux .. well i had till i lost confidence in them after cracking the welds on 2 rims they swapped them under warranty but seemed a little dodgy to me so i stuck on the stocks again
if you get a flat check the welds also as it deflated the tyre both times.

Ninjaboss
22nd May 2012, 12:05 AM
Am using St Maxx and go good

dion_83
22nd May 2012, 10:31 PM
If I had to choose between the two I'd go for the MT's, They are a brilliant tyre as are the Cooper's, terrific off road performance and they don't have the "Cooper Left Pull" which is no fault of the tyre, It's caused by extra movement in the deeper tread running with the camber of our brilliant roads, In the states it's a non-issue due to there dead flat roads, also a non isssue with any vehicle with Camber/Caster adjustment as you can easily correct it. I drive a GQ so thats not an option. However my tyre of choice would have to be Maxxis M/T's cost effective and a very low claim rate and driving a GQ what's a bit of extra noise.

knakkers
23rd May 2012, 05:51 AM
If I had to choose between the two I'd go for the MT's, They are a brilliant tyre as are the Cooper's, terrific off road performance and they don't have the "Cooper Left Pull" which is no fault of the tyre, It's caused by extra movement in the deeper tread running with the camber of our brilliant roads, In the states it's a non-issue due to there dead flat roads, also a non isssue with any vehicle with Camber/Caster adjustment as you can easily correct it. I drive a GQ so thats not an option. However my tyre of choice would have to be cost effective and a very low claim rate and driving a GQ what's a bit of extra noise.
Ive had both the MTZ & S/T Maxx (which im wearing at the moment) on my GU 265/75R16 (33's), I found the MTZ's were all over the road, wondering, vibrating, steering tracking, noisey, wear quickly etc, tried everything to fix the problems with no result.
How ever the S/T Maxx feels brilliant on the road "No Cooper Left Pull", no complaints at all, & is a pretty aggressive tread & side wall tread for an A/T tire.
I do have OME 2" lift with caster bushes, S/T Maxx wins hands down, between MT's & Cooper. How ever i cant comment on your Maxxis M/T's