PDA

View Full Version : Oil Coolers? Worth doing? What make would you suggest?

ozzymalone
10th May 2012, 11:41 AM
Hi Folks,

In the interest of preventative maintenance I would like to "beef-up" my auto to prolong its life. Vehicle is 98 GU 4.5ltr Dual fuel. The box seems to shift fine at the moment and has no obvious issues however after doing a bit of reading it looks like an additional auto-trans cooler would be a smart option. Thoughts?

Also has this model tb45 of engine got factory coolers already? Two small "radiator" looking things can be found in front of my radiator and appear to run in series and back to the auto box but not too cluey when it comes to this stuff.

As i dont use the vehicle for towing but just touring and boys weekends in the scrub would an auto-cooler just be pointless and would i be better off to go with an extreme valve body?~ to help with downhill control?

Would i be better off getting a larger radiator instead? I don't know

An auto-mechanic just poo-pooed Brown-Davies (?) coolers and suggested drivetech...anyone have any experience with aftermarket auto coolers? Any suggestions.

taslucas
10th May 2012, 12:08 PM
I'd guess that the factory setup is well capable of handling weekend 4wding but If you were concerned about auto temps, you could install an aftermarket temp gauge for a fraction of the price and then monitor if you need more cooling. Wholesale autos do them.

I fitted a nomad extreme valvebody to my tb42 and the difference I'd amazing:-) also from wholesale autos

Tap, crackle, pop

ozzymalone
10th May 2012, 12:20 PM
Cheers Tas....Nomad is ultimately the goal sound like they are the goods offroad and on.
Nowhere in my manual does it show factory trans. oil coolers.....are these what they are?

Obvious difference i take it.....what obvious benefits did you get from the valvebody upgrade?

taslucas
10th May 2012, 12:39 PM
The nomad valvebody gives sharper, quicker gear changes, reduces flaring and stops the box from hunting gears. They claim it makes the gearbox strong enough to handle 3x the standard power output from the engine and make the box last a lot longer. I noticed that when having a bit of fun on the gravel road it always seems to be in the right gear. Really does make it feel like a sports car! Claimed to help engine braking downhill but I didn't do enough of that before fitting the nomad so I can't claim any difference.

Could those small "radiators" be for the aircon?

Tap, crackle, pop

twisty
10th May 2012, 12:42 PM
I've just been through a dead auto saga. It's expensive. Drive the old one into the ground. My new Wholesale Auto Extreme is sweet BUT I'd prefer the lift and muddies!

My 2 cents. start with a new hd copper radiator (copper can be soldered in the bush, aluminium needs a tig). get a pro to give it a full service and flush. Use a fully synthetic oil. Yeah ... and wack in another cooler as well (replace the small factory one). The other small cooler is for power steering). Sounds like a factory tow kit (mine same).

I would have lived happily with my old AT flaring a bit with my cooling system brand new and top notch, the muddies giving me tranction and the lift taking me places I couldn't go before.

ozzymalone
10th May 2012, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the input gents!

Sorry to hear about your saga twisty i was reading all about it this morning. From memory you had a photo similar to what is in front of my radiator. Which cooler is auto which is power steeering?

As money is the main concern (as it is a new vehicle in our family and i dont want to put too much into it so early), I already am up for new tyres (due to non matching rolling diameters all round)(OUCH!), new control arm bushes(OUCH!OUCH!), and then of course go with a couple of inches of reputable lift ~ decisions decisions.

twisty
10th May 2012, 01:39 PM
ATF cooler was on the rhs in mine but could easily be swapped. yeah ... traction and steering first. then cooling, if you still have a stupid plastic radiator.

ozzymalone
10th May 2012, 01:44 PM
Would you go aftermarket with your radiator and also the cooler? Would you still run them in series in your experience? or just have auto cooler as a 1 function device? ~ getting conflicting reports as to better/smarter options.

twisty
10th May 2012, 02:28 PM
the AT uses the radiator to help heat the ATF in cold climates (snow) as well as cool in hot climates. more cooling = better. I would prefer not bypassing the radiator.

oh ... and I wouldn't go to nissan.

twisty
10th May 2012, 02:44 PM
They claim it makes the gearbox strong enough to handle 3x the standard power output from the engine and make the box last a lot longer.

sorry, off topic.

Sorry mate but, that's wrong, even if they did say it. What about the clutch plates that haven't been replaced, EVER.

The bits that wear are the clutches and valves. The valves operate the clutches that engage the gears. If you replace the valve body with a shiny new one it will only put more pressure on already worn clutches.