PDA

View Full Version : Airbag light staying on?

frankmademedoit
9th May 2012, 08:28 PM
Recently my airbag light has come on in my 2000 st patrol and won't go off.

I spoke to a mechanic who referred me to an auto electrician who then informed me that i will need to buy a new airbag module of rectify the problem?

Any advice on this would be great!!

Cheers....

Rip'n'Shred
9th May 2012, 09:18 PM
My old patrol did this too. It was the clock spring which I believe is a common fault.

The clock spring is the device behind the steering wheel that provides an electrical connection between steering column and the airbag on steering wheel allowing the wheel to be turned. They must be centred correctly otherwise they break on full lock.

Had any steering or front suspension work done lately?

frankmademedoit
10th May 2012, 07:02 AM
No nothing like that at all, been over a few rough roads though and that's when it came on I'm pretty sure.

It was on a few yrs ago but went off by its self, I now need it off to get re-registered.

Stropp
10th May 2012, 02:13 PM
take it to someone who has a scanner and check why it is on , it will tell them! my gt falcon had the airbag light on all the time and it turned out to be the switch under the seat needed resetting.

garrett
11th May 2012, 05:17 PM
if ur lucky and u have a friendly nissan dealer close buy if its a simple fix theyll do it for free. my mate had this problem took it to nissan and the plugged the lil computer in and done

Yendor
11th May 2012, 06:09 PM
The airbag light on means that an electrical faulty has been detected within the airbag system. This could be a current fault or a history fault.

If it is a history fault (the electrical fault is no longer present) then yes clearing the trouble code will turn the airbag light off.

If it is a current fault (the electrical fault is still present) then clearing the trouble code will not turn the airbag light off, well not permanently anyway.

There was a clip on youtube showing you how to clear airbag codes without the use of a computer, I think a link to it may have also been posted on this forum.

I would of thought your auto electrician that you took the vehicle to would have cleared the codes???

As far as performing your own diagnosis on airbag system, I do not recommend this unless you have had been trained in this field.

Does your horn still work?

frankmademedoit
15th May 2012, 08:05 AM
Thanks guys....

I've taken it to Nissan previously and they told me they had no idea why it was on.

The auto electrition hooked his lil computer up and all it says is 71 airbag module (open), it also says no codes to be cleared... Seems to be a bit of a mystery apparently, even another airbag module hasn't helped.

frankmademedoit
15th May 2012, 08:05 AM
And yeh the horn still works