PDA

View Full Version : gq rock sliders

89gqpatrol4x4
8th May 2012, 08:53 PM
hi guys, I am wanting to make my own rock sliders for my gq lwb, does anyone have any tips,hints or photos of theres as i am not quite sure of what size tube to use and how to mount it to the chassis.

97_gq_lwb
8th May 2012, 09:08 PM
their are some plans on mudrhino http://www.mudrhino.com.au/Docs/DIY4.pdf

89gqpatrol4x4
8th May 2012, 10:59 PM
thats a great post thanks

Richo460
14th May 2012, 07:15 AM
you can go with really big heavy wall pipe if your gonna give it a hard time or if not something less. I am a boilermaker and am going to make some for my lwb soon. I am going to use about 3" pipe and prob go for medium wall thickness, normal structural and gal pipe come in extra light, light, medium and heavy wall. Medium will be thick enough for anything i reckon.

Most sliders i have seen, which isn't too many, just have brackets that clamp around the chassis rail. For the lwb i would think 2 backets at the ends and 1 in the middle would be plenty. For the clamp plates, use 8mm plate with 4 holes, 2 above the rail and 2 below, 12mm grade 8.8 bolts should suffice. Sorry i don't have dimensions as i am away for work and cannot measure anything. So all up you would need 12 plates, a 6 meter length of pipe and 24 bolts and nuts and washers. I wasn't going to bother bending pipe or anything, just have them straight and weld up the ends.

Here is a crappy pic i drew in paint, this would be a cross section view, sorry my paint skills are terrible and i don't have autocad.

This is how i am going to do mine anyway.
Hopefully when i get time to do the sliders and rear bar i can take lots of pics and do a DIY post for them.:bananadancing:

89gqpatrol4x4
14th May 2012, 06:16 PM
thanks Richo, I would love to see a write up on your rear bar with some pictures keep us all posted!