PDA

View Full Version : Why go 15's over 16's?

ozzymalone
8th May 2012, 12:46 PM
Very broad question but I am looking to replace at least three of my tyres to match up running sizes.
The wagon currently sits on 16X8' nissan steelies shod with 285/75s on the front with 265/75s on the rear.

In the interest to do the job properly and cost effectively i was wondering why people run 16 inch rims over 15inch. I currently want to run 33's all round so my dilemma is this. Do i purchase play tyres 33inch muddies (Bighorns no doubt) on 15inch rims/16rims and run a set of daily A/T tyres on 15/16's or just replace the three in the 16' rims? HELP PLEASE!

Why go to 15's Pro's/Con's please......what are you running and why? (Lift etc)

nissannewby
8th May 2012, 01:15 PM
16's have to be run on some models to clear calipers etc. However if you can fit 15's on there without any clearance issues it shouldnt be a drama. 15 and 16" tyres are much of a muchness these days in price etc. Theres no real pro's and con's really unless there is a certain tyre you would like to run that is only made in a certain rim size. There maybe a slight difference in "bagging" but this will hardly be noticeable on something where the difference is only an inch. I run 15's on my GQ simply cos thats what it came with and same deal with my GU it came with 16's so thats what i run.

Bigrig
8th May 2012, 01:19 PM
Whoah!! Can of worms being opened people!!!! lmao

Easy decision for me mate, and no doubt you'll get conjecture from everyone as everyone has different needs - so that would be my first point - when deciding, take on the advice BUT weigh up with personal honesty what your 'true' needs would be.

Me? I run 15's. Had 16" alloys which I sold to get King Rims 15" steel. Couple of reasons - I somewhat go at it off road (less touring and more hard track work). Subsequently, I need to be able to repair a bent rim on the side of the road. Also, I want more sidewall on the tyre itself so when I deflate them they bag out more ... smaller rim still using a 33" tyre means more tyre side wall to keep the tyre height - more sidewall generally means more ability to bag and flex about off road. This can also mean more tyres off the bead and more side wall damage, but that's a risk I'm willing to take for the benefit.

Taller side walls also means less handling performance on road, but again, I'm not touring as such so no biggie for me. Smaller the side wall, less flex of the tyre in cornering etc and hence better response feel at the wheel. Same principle as all the rice burners apply who use paper thin profiled tyres on their cars.

Others will be able to offer more comments no doubt boss, and even further detail on side wall strengthening present in larger diameter tyres that go onto smaller rims (to assist in protecting the tyre from puncture generally).

growler2058
8th May 2012, 01:23 PM
!5's more side wall

ozzymalone
8th May 2012, 01:31 PM
Appreciate the input as always! Well I spose' if its got factory 16's I will stay with em' and go for the 33 Bighorns.

It may be less sidewall but im only just getting into the "sport" - i use this term loosely as i like to think of drinking as a "sport" also, so that shouldn't end it for me.
And i guess it saves me buying a whole set of street tyres/rims.

Ta'

taslucas
8th May 2012, 01:32 PM
I kept to 15 when I got new rims because the tyres I wanted were cheaper in 15", and most my mates run 15" so if in trouble I can borrow one, I also have a few odd 15" rims kicking around that I can use if I'm in trouble. I kept with the steel rims for the same reason as bigrig, they can be fixed out on the trail.

Tap, crackle, pop

BillsGU
8th May 2012, 05:18 PM
Ozzy - your current tyre mix (different front to rear) is not a good idea as the tyres can turn at different rates which is not good in 4 wheel drive as you will get wind up happening. Years ago 15s were for some crazy reason much cheaper than 16s. Other than that I agree with Biggus. Just make sure 15s fit on FRONT AND REAR in case they don't clear the brake calipers.

Tank
8th May 2012, 08:23 PM
15's more side wall = more bagging and cheaper tires over here than 16's

Clunk
8th May 2012, 08:37 PM
Iwent 15 for no other reason than price............. approx $300 cheaper for the set of 5 over a full set of 16s. Doesn't sound much I knowbut its 300 to spend on something else.......

And as Bills GU said..... change your current set up as soon as possible, your gonna do some damage to your 4wd system if ya dont

growler2058
8th May 2012, 08:39 PM
Appreciate the input as always! Well I spose' if its got factory 16's I will stay with em' and go for the 33 Bighorns.

It may be less sidewall but im only just getting into the "sport" - i use this term loosely as i like to think of drinking as a "sport" also, so that shouldn't end it for me.
And i guess it saves me buying a whole set of street tyres/rims.

Ta'

15" sunraysia type rims in the offset ya want are about $70 brand new mate

Tappin N Crappin

healy
8th May 2012, 11:01 PM
just bought 15x8" sunnys gecko was the brand for $40 each tyres transfered from one rim to the new x5 fitted and balanced etc $280 drive away

jfarsang
9th May 2012, 09:11 AM
over here in Canada 15" tires/wheels are usually less costly than 16"
standard sizing vs metric

ozzymalone
11th May 2012, 09:45 AM
Keep up the input gents! I might do the old test-try of 15's if I can find a willing Brisbane donor (to make sure they fit and look the goods) cos I wouldn't mind saving a little in the tyre department and it sounds like a smart idea.

I'm not currently doing any 4wd till i match em all up :( . Silly situation that I cant believe i missed on pre-purchase inspection! Unfortunately I already spent a day on the beach and a day up the powerlines so I hope I haven't got too bad a wind-up. Will find out when I get them all matched up i spose'.

growler2058
11th May 2012, 10:01 AM
I think it would be minimul definately not a good idea but were talking 75% of 20mm so 15mm overall difference to the od

Clunk
11th May 2012, 10:04 AM
I think it would be minimul definately not a good idea but were talking 75% of 20mm so 15mm overall difference to the od

And if he's been getting plenty of slippage on the sand n tracks, should be ok.

Taps a lot!!!!!!

ozzymalone
11th May 2012, 10:36 AM
I took it very slow on the powerlines track (not yet realising the different sizes mind you!) (a lot of ledges and gravely sections) and the beach i thought should have been ok (not great mind you)...time will tell spose'

gqpew
11th May 2012, 12:50 PM
15" rim's here because mine came with them and I've had no issues running 31" tyres.

BillsGU
11th May 2012, 05:17 PM
I'm not currently doing any 4wd till i match em all up :( . Silly situation that I cant believe i missed on pre-purchase inspection! Unfortunately I already spent a day on the beach and a day up the powerlines so I hope I haven't got too bad a wind-up. Will find out when I get them all matched up i spose'.

You will know if you have wind up. You will start to lose power, your drive train will make noises, it will be difficult to get the vehicle out of 4 wheel drive and in the worse case - some thing will go BANG !!!!

nissannewby
12th May 2012, 11:48 AM
Keep up the input gents! I might do the old test-try of 15's if I can find a willing Brisbane donor (to make sure they fit and look the goods) cos I wouldn't mind saving a little in the tyre department and it sounds like a smart idea.

I have some here got a set of each actually have 16's and 15's if you wanted to give it a go. If you jack the front up so both wheels are off the ground they tend to unwind a little.

ozzymalone
21st May 2012, 11:04 AM
Cheers nissannewby.....I might take you up on that offer in the upcoming weeks/months if you're cool with that. Got another bub on the way so bit hectic at the moment. It would be great to get you to have a look over the ole girl and see what you think anyways. (You seem to know you're S%#^!), and of course it would be great to put a name to a face! Been up in BrisVegas for about 5 years and honestly haven't met too many like minded blokes so I look forward to it.

nissannewby
24th May 2012, 03:14 PM
Yeah mate to easy just shoot me through a pm and will be able to do what i can if im in brissy (work rostered work in the mines)