PDA

View Full Version : Best way to get rid of surface rust?

num_301
8th May 2012, 08:48 AM
Hey guys, I've found a little bit of surface rust on the body of my gu patrol ute and wnated to get rid of it before it became any worse.
Obviously sand the surface rust down to metal, But what is the best way to cover it up if it is only 5mm by 10mm sort of area?

Is that touch up paint any good? Or what do you guys use?

White Elephant
8th May 2012, 03:25 PM
Nothing worse than a spot of rust right in the middle of a panel! you could try and rub back the affected area, hit it with some rust converter to be sure, then wipe it down with some wax and grease remover.Reprime, repaint, and try and blend it in by polishing but it's sometimes difficult to colour match. There could be a problem with the compatability of paint too. Some paints don't like being hit with touch up and they blister and craze, so then you have to do it all over again. In any case if it's within your buget, I would suggest rubbing the whole panel back and respraying.

My 2 cents. Good luck with it!

Robo
10th May 2012, 12:56 PM
It all depends on the final finish your after.
your thoughts on finish ?

num_301
11th May 2012, 09:56 AM
I want it to look like factory, I think body paint has no compramise (unlike barwork, wheels etc.) should I pay a pro to respray the lot or what sort of look can u get out of touch up stuff?

White Elephant
11th May 2012, 02:36 PM
You can still get quite a nice finish with the Touch up paint, the key to any respray/body work is surface preparation. I had a small rust patch on the 'A" Pillar on my GQ, I cut the rust out and repaired it, resprayed with touch up, and then polished the whole area after I had rubbed it back with some 2000 wet and dry. You can't even see the repair unless you are really looking for it. It really depends on how confident you are in having a crack at it yourself. It's not a really difficult job, but it will take a bit of time and prep to do it properly.

Freak
11th May 2012, 02:40 PM
Pay a pro to paint the whole panel/section, but you can save yourself a LOT of cash by doing all the prep work yourself. Remove any trim, badges, extra pieces in the immediate area, and rub it back yourself.