PDA

View Full Version : Beef up transmission cooling or not ?

Drew
8th May 2012, 09:23 AM
I've been reading how the Patrols transmission cooling should be beefed up if towing a lot but I'm finding it hard to get any real detail on what exactly to do (other than take it to a transmission joint).

I guess I'd like to know what to do/expect etc before handing over a pile of $$$

What have people done for theirs ?

:beer:

Drew

twisty
8th May 2012, 05:29 PM
G'day Drew.

Yeah ... beef it up. Davies Craig (http://www.daviescraig.com.au/Oil_Coolers-list.aspx)make a few oil coolers. The cooler is mounted with plastic "spikes" and spacers through the radiator. Additional hydraulic lines are run so the new cooler and radiator oil cooler flow in series.

BillsGU
8th May 2012, 05:33 PM
I have a GU auto and a large off road caravan. The GU auto already has a decent size tranny cooler. I have towed the van over hill and dale and have never had a problem. Better off spending your money on a decent intercooler with fan assist.

megatexture
8th May 2012, 10:01 PM
i just went and fitted a cooler that’s suitable for a v8 it was a pwr branded one from repco and rather than fitting it with the plastic clips against the radiator i made up a bracket to keep them apart as i didn’t want the radiator temp to affect the tran coolers performance, from memory the cooler was 80-110$ and i fitted a temp gauge also as we tow a lot on the beach. my temps rarely get above 80deg.
its a easy job also repco kit comes with all you need but i wouldn’t recommend the hose clamps that come with it.

BillsGU
8th May 2012, 10:18 PM
i just went and fitted a cooler that’s suitable for a v8 it was a pwr branded one from repco and rather than fitting it with the plastic clips against the radiator i made up a bracket to keep them apart as i didn’t want the radiator temp to affect the tran coolers performance, from memory the cooler was 80-110$ and i fitted a temp gauge also as we tow a lot on the beach. my temps rarely get above 80deg.
its a easy job also repco kit comes with all you need but i wouldn’t recommend the hose clamps that come with it.

Was it getting hot before - or are you just being sure?

megatexture
8th May 2012, 10:20 PM
cooler oil- longer lifespan not that i would streach out a change but ye just makeing sure its sweet

BillsGU
8th May 2012, 10:37 PM
cooler oil- longer lifespan not that i would streach out a change but ye just makeing sure its sweet

OK - but my point is - what was wrong with the original Nissan cooler? I can't remember anyone who has had problems with it. I am just interested because I tow a lot and if there is a problem I want to know what to look out for.

twisty
9th May 2012, 07:14 AM
Bill, I killed my auto recently (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?8179-GU1-Auto-Trans-not-engaging).

The stupid plastic radiator developed a leak into the ATF system. The only indication was out the transmission breather (located in the LH side wheel guard) which eventually appeared around the wheel arch. The fluid in the nissan cooler (part of the tow pack) looked like mud. Very expensive.

BillsGU
9th May 2012, 05:44 PM
Bill, I killed my auto recently (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?8179-GU1-Auto-Trans-not-engaging).

The stupid plastic radiator developed a leak into the ATF system. The only indication was out the transmission breather (located in the LH side wheel guard) which eventually appeared around the wheel arch. The fluid in the nissan cooler (part of the tow pack) looked like mud. Very expensive.

OK - I see your point now. Happened to a friend of mine - but with a Ford sedan.