PDA

View Full Version : Invention's, mod's and good ideas

TOECUTTER
30th September 2010, 09:12 PM
Hey all,
Thought I would start a thread that displays the injenuity of people and to give others ideas to make life easier. Here is my little mod or invention:

When the batteries in my old battery drill failed to keep charge, I cut the end off the drill where the battery sits and soldered 2 wires onto the contacts, made an aluminium plate to cover the hole and the other end has a 12 volt plug. now i have a 12 volt drill in the car wherever I go and dont need to worry about charged batteries. It has been the handiest little thing, I will post piccys soon. I have made quiet a few for mates as you can usually find drills at the tip shop for around $5.

Cheers

TC

locks
30th September 2010, 09:41 PM
Great work TC, can we also tell stories or inventions and good ideas in general or just 4b's? I have a few brilliant inventions that ended up getting stolen or copied before i could market them or patent the ideas, etc

Cheers

Woof
30th September 2010, 09:50 PM
No offense TC, but you probably should keep these to yourself mate, as Locks said people just steal other peoples ideas and profit from them.
This idea is a bloody brilliant one mate, thanks for sharing it with everyone.:cool:

AB
30th September 2010, 10:02 PM
One idea I use to siphon out liquid.

I mainly use this to siphone out water from the tank on the 4x4 to another tank down the block, this idea is also used to siphon out petrol.

nothing worse than gulping in a mouth full of petrol whilst trying to get the flow going. Just keep feeding the hose into the tank your siphoning from so it coils up at the bottom of the tank. Once there's about 2 metres or so of hose in the bottom of the tank just simply put your thumb over the other end of the hose so it seals off any air coming in and pull the hose out realy fast and put the hose into the other tank (obviously lower than the first tank) and and take your thumb off the hose.

It works everytime. Kind of like putting a straw into a glass of coke and putting your thumb on the top and pulling the straw up, if you take your thumb off the straw the coke comes out. Water gets carried up the hose if air cannot get in until it gets to the point of no return and gravity/flow takes over.

Hope this makes sense...haha

Woof
30th September 2010, 10:33 PM
One idea I use to siphon out liquid.
It works everytime. Kind of like putting a straw into a glass of coke and putting your thumb on the top and pulling the straw up, if you take your thumb off the straw the coke comes out. Water gets carried up the hose if air cannot get in until it gets to the point of no return and gravity/flow takes over.

Hope this makes sense...haha

What if you don't drink coke.....................yeah I know I'm an idiot but sometimes I just can't help it:049:

gec
30th September 2010, 11:58 PM
What if you don't drink coke.....................yeah I know I'm an idiot but sometimes I just can't help it:049:

Then ya just use Diet Coke of course :1087:

AB
1st October 2010, 08:37 AM

Just use your favourite drink Doggie....Spewmante???....lol

AB
1st October 2010, 09:51 AM
Hey all,
Thought I would start a thread that displays the injenuity of people and to give others ideas to make life easier. Here is my little mod or invention:

When the batteries in my old battery drill failed to keep charge, I cut the end off the drill where the battery sits and soldered 2 wires onto the contacts, made an aluminium plate to cover the hole and the other end has a 12 volt plug. now i have a 12 volt drill in the car wherever I go and dont need to worry about charged batteries. It has been the handiest little thing, I will post piccys soon. I have made quiet a few for mates as you can usually find drills at the tip shop for around $5.

Cheers

TC

That's a ripper idea TC, I have an old Ryobi drill at home. I'll give it shot this weekend!

TOECUTTER
1st October 2010, 09:58 AM
Great work TC, can we also tell stories or inventions and good ideas in general or just 4b's? I have a few brilliant inventions that ended up getting stolen or copied before i could market them or patent the ideas, etc

Cheers

I thought just the things that we may use when we are out and about in this great wide land, but whatever really.

Cheers

TC

TOECUTTER
1st October 2010, 10:02 AM
No offense TC, but you probably should keep these to yourself mate, as Locks said people just steal other peoples ideas and profit from them.
This idea is a bloody brilliant one mate, thanks for sharing it with everyone.:cool:

None taken, but if someone wants to take my idea of sticking wires into the end of a battery drill and market it...good for them.

Really looking for mods that people have made to existing equipment to suit the needs of us 4WDing enthusiasts and to make life easier.

Yes people with no ideas of their own will probably take others and convert them for their own use, but if they do...good on them, at least the idea may become a reality.

TOECUTTER
1st October 2010, 10:08 AM
That's a ripper idea TC, I have an old Ryobi drill at home. I'll give it shot this weekend!

Just a tip to make it cheaper (I am a tight ar$e); when using flex or wire, try looking for an old vacuum cleaner. They have long cords and you can often find ones that are only two wires, i.e. no earth,just +ve and -ve.

When making the plate for the bottom, I used a piece of aluminium plate that I cut to shape and drilled a hole in and put a rubber grommet in to prevent the cord from being cut. I then bolted that onto the base.

Let me know how you go.

patch697
1st October 2010, 11:26 AM
Great attitude mate & a bloody good idea. I have an old 12v drill that will be getting this mod & I will add to this thread.

Top marks

Cheers
Paul

Woof
1st October 2010, 06:11 PM
None taken, but if someone wants to take my idea of sticking wires into the end of a battery drill and market it...good for them.

Really looking for mods that people have made to existing equipment to suit the needs of us 4WDing enthusiasts and to make life easier.

Yes people with no ideas of their own will probably take others and convert them for their own use, but if they do...good on them, at least the idea may become a reality.

Love your attitude TC, good on you mate:cheers::cheers:
If you don't mind I would like to share this tip of yours with the members of my club, will not until you give the OK though and if you don't that's not a problem mate.

TOECUTTER
1st October 2010, 06:26 PM
Love your attitude TC, good on you mate:cheers::cheers:
If you don't mind I would like to share this tip of yours with the members of my club, will not until you give the OK though and if you don't that's not a problem mate.

I don't have any problems with that...crikey share the love I say.

Am looking for a rechargeable grinder to do the same with, any ideas?

Cheers

TC

NissanGQ4.2
1st October 2010, 09:10 PM
Good idea TC, good luck finding a 12v angle grinder, do they still make them in 12v these days???

pauljud
2nd October 2010, 09:59 AM
I reckon thats a great idea TC. I've got one of the drill units that is on the verge of being tossed. I will do that and it can stay in the truck for ever from now on. G'don ya mate, thanks for the tip.

Paulie

Finly Owner
5th October 2010, 09:01 PM
I don't have any problems with that...crikey share the love I say.

Cheers

TC

Go to cash converters and look for one that's been on the shelf for a long time. (you can tell by the fine print on the label it has date shelfed) then offer them less than what they want, only works on stuff that has been on shelf long time and looks old.

YNOT
9th October 2010, 11:56 PM
Speaking of 12 volt ideas, here's something I've just started installing in my shed.
I'm not licensed to work on 240 volt stuff, and with my lack of knowledge I'd probably burn the house AND shed down if I tried to do anything 240v. But, I know my way around 12 DC quite well. With that in mind, I've been wanting to install a 12 volt system in my shed for some time.
This week I managed to get to get my hands on 4 good 6 volt 335 amp/hour deep cycle batteries that are only about 9 months old. Big batteries like that need a serious charger and I just happened to have a 24 volt 20 amp fan cooled automatic battery charger sitting in the shed. I put it together this afternoon;
http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/tonyh01/P1010991.jpg

Now I can start running cable around the shed and install 12v lights, fans, radio's etc, whatever and where ever I want. Being a mechanic for so many years I've accumulated a fair bit of 12 volt stuff, now I can start using it.

The batteries are hooked together as 24 volts (which I had to do because I don't have a big 12 volt charger), but I can pick up 2 seperate 12 volt circuits.

Total cost so far, $0

Tony

MADM4N
11th October 2010, 10:31 AM
I done the same thing with the cordless as TOECUTTER and invested in one of those cheap drill operated rotary pump they were flogging on tv a few yrs back... works well for siphoning fuel... NO more need for mouth fulls of fuel with this mod!!!

YNOT
11th October 2010, 08:30 PM
Solar charging is a great idea, but outside the budget at the moment.
The batteries are WAAAY bigger than what I need, but for the price, they'll do.

Tony

Finly Owner
11th October 2010, 11:32 PM
Tony you can buy the small solar charging system for trailer etc I think under $100.
Wher did u steal ur batteries? A telstra comm post? LOL

YNOT
11th October 2010, 11:41 PM
They came out of a machine I worked on last week. 2 of the 6 batteries (36 volt machine)had dead cells so the customer requested a full set of new batteries.

Tony

Finly Owner
11th October 2010, 11:51 PM
cool, has made nice start to set up.

Maxhead
12th October 2010, 07:27 AM
They came out of a machine I worked on last week. 2 of the 6 batteries (36 volt machine)had dead cells so the customer requested a full set of new batteries.

Tony

Good score, I want something similar for my camper but these suckers cost waaaayyyy tooo much

Finly Owner
12th October 2010, 11:02 PM
I could tell you how to get them, but Tony might have my balls. And no, I'm not talking about going anywhere near Tonys' place.

AB
19th October 2010, 01:56 PM
I have to ask, has anyone actually tried this to confirm there is little batteries inside???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBQDGvhr3kE&feature=fvw

patch697
19th October 2010, 02:20 PM
WT............ Never new about this?????????????........ I wonder if Aussie Big cells are the same????

This could be a very handy thing to know when your in the bush.......Thanks AB TOP STUFF.

AB
19th October 2010, 08:48 PM
WT............ Never new about this?????????????........ I wonder if Aussie Big cells are the same????

This could be a very handy thing to know when your in the bush.......Thanks AB TOP STUFF.

A lot of people say these videos are full of it and some people say It's true and they are packed full of AA's so I just wanted to know if anyone has actually pulled one apart to find out...

If we don't get any replies here them I'm doing my own official NissanPatrol.com.au myth busters session on the weekend...lol

AB
19th October 2010, 09:09 PM
CSI PLASSY....lol

Ive started two posts about the same thing unfortunately...lol...Nice one AB!!!

Also, Is it just me or is there a shipload of batteries that suddenly come out of that container???

I can't be bothered counting the amount and the sizes versus the size of the 6V cube but looks very suss as far as m3 goes...lol

YNOT
27th February 2011, 07:02 PM
Here's an idea for anyone who's planning on doing a diff swap.
A set of cut down axle stands mounted on castors that lets you move the diffs around easily without having to drag them along on the concrete.
I made these from an old set of stands that were sitting in the corner of the shed starting to rust. The castors cost $5 each from a local supplier.

Tony

the ferret
27th February 2011, 10:41 PM
Make one of these and fit it to the GQ, saves the back heaps when trying to line up the studs, those 35's can be pretty heavy .
It's the red bit and fits on with two 8mm bolts.

http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt164/ferret/P1010354.jpg

the ferret
27th February 2011, 10:57 PM
Or if ya handy you could make one of these to add a shovel holder to ya jack bracket.
I made mine out of stainless, but mild steel would be fine.

http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt164/ferret/P1010326.jpg

http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt164/ferret/P1010330.jpg

Finly Owner
27th February 2011, 11:32 PM
A set of cut down axle stands mounted on castors that lets you move the diffs around easily without having to drag them along on the concrete.
I made these from an old set of stands that were sitting in the corner of the shed starting to rust. The castors cost $5 each from a local supplier.

Tony
Bloody innovative and brilliant too!

Finly Owner
27th February 2011, 11:35 PM
Or if ya handy you could make one of these to add a shovel holder to ya jack bracket.
I made mine out of stainless, but mild steel would be fine.

http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt164/ferret/P1010326.jpg

http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt164/ferret/P1010330.jpg

That's cunning!

wildgu6
27th February 2011, 11:38 PM

Tony

Brilliant idea Tony, and its something that anyone could do, it just took the brains to come up with the idea.
Well done buddy, Thanks for sharing it.

Cheers Pete

TheFlyingBadger
27th February 2011, 11:59 PM
Brilliant idea Tony, and its something that anyone could do, it just took the brains to come up with the idea.
Well done buddy, Thanks for sharing it.

Cheers Pete

they're always the best ideas. the ones that are so simple, but no-one thinks of them before..

Silver
28th February 2011, 12:05 AM
I had a similar idea, but wanted a reversing light - sourced a round one from a local auto leccy, and the exhaust shop expanded some tube to be a neatish fit on the light but still have clearance on the inside of the rim.

Works ok, but the light, despite being a flood, could do with more spread. Ran the wire up from the same relay that runs the reversing camera and sensors off, signal provided by drivers side reverse light, main power by heavy wire run to rear for other purposes

yours looks like it would be easier to sit the tyre on than mine Ferret, as mine is basically a tube that also protects the light.

Make one of these and fit it to the GQ, saves the back heaps when trying to line up the studs, those 35's can be pretty heavy .
It's the red bit and fits on with two 8mm bolts.

http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt164/ferret/P1010354.jpg

Silver
28th February 2011, 12:13 AM
I was given a 3/4" drive socket to fit front hub nuts. Which it did, once they were out of the hub. OK, fitted the outside one once the bush and spacer were removed on the hubs on my GQ, otherwise the outside dia was too great, and was always too big to get into the inner nut, which of course is the one that is meant to be temporarily torqued to a figure I can't recall as I type this, but fairly tight.

I had always used the tube type spanner and a bar through the holes, but since I was given this one, and I had to work on my hubs I finally decided to make it fit. A bit of time with the bench grinder (no lathe access) had the outside diameter down sufficiently.

After removing my hubs (of course inspiration came a bit late )I then decided that the chamfer on the inside end of the socket could go as well, for two reasons. First is that with the chamfer, only half of the depth of the nut is engaged with the socket. Second reason was that I think that if I grind it right, it will also nicely knock back down those bent up edges on the lock washers. At this stage it is ground fairly square across the end, but may put a slight reverse bevel on it.

Is it worth the trouble? probably not, got by with the tube type socket etc up to now, but have had this nice shiny one sitting around taking up space :-)

the ferret
28th February 2011, 12:35 PM
You could always put a light on one of these brackets, better spread than having it in the middle of the wheel, also acts as a spacer!

http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt164/ferret/P1010288-1.jpg