PDA

View Full Version : Solar regulator

Dirt devil
5th May 2012, 08:12 PM
I am new to solar and am about to fit a 120w panel to the roof, what i need to know is when the panel is connected to the battery via a solar regulator what protects the panel or regulator from the alt. when driving?

This is the regulator PV Charge Controller
MP-3722

cheers.

HammerBuilder
31st July 2012, 09:28 PM
Most panels have diodes on the back of them either in a box or soldered inline on the output wires. Diodes only let power go in 1 direction then inside the PV charge controler they also have diodes or circut protectors to regulate the voltage to the battery & out to the load. I run this type & haven't had any problems with either flat or over charged batteries.
As for panels the main problem is overheating & vibration thats about it if its a good quality panel it should have diodes on the back already.
Just make sure you have fuses as close to batteries as possible this way less chance of a short or fire. Don't run a big pos+ wire to a splitter box to far from battery, if you need to do this stick a 25amp fuse at battery end just incase. I've seen a few vans & cars for that matter burnt to the ground all because bodgey bob didnt use a $5 fuse so travel safe n keep your family safe n chuck 1 on.
Cheers

zd30elgrande
15th October 2012, 04:56 PM
Use a voltmeter to check if your panel has diodes. If non just add one into the line before attaching to battery.