PDA

View Full Version : GU lift on a GQ ?

Mojo01
5th May 2012, 05:47 AM
I have seen GU lift on a GQ a few times now on these forums and as I am planning to do a lift myself on my GQ in the next few weeks, I was wondering if I can get some clarification from those with the know how, before I get yelled at by " she who must be obeyed " by spending to much money..lol

Atm my GQ is stock height with 16inch rims and Unley School bus roadies ( NOT FOR MUCH LONGER)

I have been told that if I goto a 3 inch lift I must fit modded arms at the front to comply with RTA rules here in SA and I must also get the vehicle inspected but a 2 inch lift is legal and I dont have to worry about inspections etc. so now I am totally confused that I can get more lift from a GU lift vs a GQ lift could someone please clarify this please.

Also if any of the guys here in Adelaide know where I can get this done I would love to know.

growler2058
5th May 2012, 06:47 AM
A 2" GU lift gives a GQ approx 3" lift. Dunno if you need castor correction or not, gen no with a 2" lift. A number of places in Adelaide depending what you go for. ARB TJM Opposite Lock(Sth RD) BigO4x4 Salisbury have all sorts of options

Tappin N Crappin

Mojo01
5th May 2012, 07:00 AM
So what is the difference between the 2 lifts ? Is it just different springs, shocks etc ? that cause the lift to be higher ? or am I missing something here LOL

growler2058
5th May 2012, 07:24 AM
That's it a GU just sits a bit higher than aQ need to hear from AB who has done this exact lift to see weather any other component change was required when he did his

Tappin N Crappin

Mojo01
5th May 2012, 07:37 AM
The reason I am confused is that most of the shock/springs lift kits say GQ/GU eg : http://www.superiorengineering.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=31_32_33_179&products_id=6101

I am not looking for hardcore rig, just one thats high enough to get me through some of the water like the goyder river crossing on the way to Nhulunbuy, as my baby is an EFI petrol 4.2 on gas, Im not worried about the camper its been through there before behind a Navara, but that was a diesel, never had water flowing over the bonnet of a petrol 4x4

growler2058
5th May 2012, 07:45 AM
Make sure ya got a water tight snorkel mate!! It's just the length that differs they bolt up exactly the same

Tappin N Crappin

AB
5th May 2012, 07:52 AM
Hey mate, yeah the GU's are heavier than the GQ's so a 2" GU lift in the GQ will bring it up closer to the 3" mark. I think mine went to about 70mm ish...

Very easy job mate and you don't need castors or anything extra from the normal 2" lifts. I did put the new OME damper on but not even sure you need that to be honest...Someone else may have to clairfy that bit.

I think the link you have from Superior is just the type of kit to suit the Patrols and upon ordering you would need to advise them what model you have and what your needs will be. Have a think about what things you know you will put on your car later on. I got the OME 2" GU lift and got them to make it quite hard. At first it was a nightmare to drive when it was all stock but now that I have added steel bull bar, winch, rear drawers, fridge and once It's all loaded up for a trip it rides beautifully!!!!

Mojo01
5th May 2012, 07:53 AM
Yeah ARB are going to get that Job, I aint gonna do it LOL The Snorkel that is. dunno what I am going to do with the suspension yet

AB
5th May 2012, 07:56 AM
You can also keep your rear stabiliser and release function which is handy too!

Mojo01
5th May 2012, 07:59 AM
There is just so much to take in, and I aint gonna rush into it, will make sure 100% and take in the experience and mistakes of others, eg I know a mate stuffed a pair of tough dogs on his patrol when he did not trim the bump plate, I also notice some others here have had the same issue, at least I dont have to worry about that one lol

AB
5th May 2012, 08:02 AM
Maybe get a price off ARB to install as well whilst your there doing the snorkel. They are in bed with Old Man Emu and in my opinion the bee's knee's for suspension!!!

growler2058
5th May 2012, 09:35 AM
I am wary of all "4wd" shops and would definately make it CLEAR you WILL need the snorkel to be water tight and you WILL be doing deep crossings!!

Mojo01
5th May 2012, 10:00 AM
I have no issues with installing the suspension myself, just wanna make sure that I buy the right stuff in the first place, and if I can get a 3 inch lift for the cost of a 2inch I aint gonna complain.

I do have another question though, what about body lifts ? I have heard you can do 2inch without any drama's.

Is this fact or fiction ?

As I said in the first post on this thread my baby is a stock as a rock, other than the bull bar. I know that te radiator hoses may be an issue but will anything else fall by the wayside or need tweaking with a 2inch body lift ?

Mojo01
5th May 2012, 10:03 AM
Maybe get a price off ARB to install as well whilst your there doing the snorkel. They are in bed with Old Man Emu and in my opinion the bee's knee's for suspension!!!

I got a ballpark quote for getting them to put the suspension on for me just 5 mins ago.... lemme just say they aint doin it... they can do the snorkel though LOL

MudRunnerTD
5th May 2012, 10:16 AM
Put a 2" OME GU lift in your GQ and you will love it mate. As AB said the GU is a little heavier and therefore the 2" GU springs will ride a little higher in a GQ.

Get ARB to fit your snorkel ad make sure they silicon up all joints for high water crossings as per Growlers Advice bud.

Being a Petrol you would be very wise to add a tarp or car bra to your gear and put in on the cafr before going into the water, regardless of the snorkel. The Snorkel is there to stop water getting in your Air Intake Only! Your electronics will still be exposed and a Crossing Bra will help you ALLOT with keeping the water out of there. A little sikaflex around the gasket of your Dizzy works a treat i am told too ;)

Yes you can fit a Body lift without detriment to your Rego in all states i think. Ask yourself Why you need to do that though mate? 2" will make NO DIFFERENCE to your water crossing and make a huge difference to your body roll and stability.

Have a great trip mate, i have a friend in Nullumbouy.

97_gq_lwb
5th May 2012, 10:25 AM
I was looking at some springs a few weeks ago and they had the same part number front for gq and gu i am sure they were ome

MudRunnerTD
5th May 2012, 10:35 AM
I was looking at some springs a few weeks ago and they had the same part number front for gq and gu i am sure they were ome

They will have different Weight Ratings though as the GU is a much bigger car.

growler2058
5th May 2012, 11:58 AM

They will have different Weight Ratings though as the GU is a much bigger car.

This is why its so important to give the supplier as much accurate info on the weight/load being towed or stored on your vehicle. A troll like mine thats basically used as a toy will have a very different load rated spring than one set up as a tourer/tower

Mojo01
6th May 2012, 01:55 AM
I popped into my local ARB this yesterday morning $500 to sup/fit the snorkel

Mojo01
6th May 2012, 02:14 AM
I was looking at doing the body lift as I have been told you are NOT allowed to do a 4 inch suspension lift in South Australia without an engineers cert, but you can do 2inch susp and 2 inch body lift, this came from ARB here in Adelaide, as well as the RTA inspector when I transfered the rego over as my baby came from interstate.

AB
6th May 2012, 08:18 AM
I was looking at doing the body lift as I have been told you are NOT allowed to do a 4 inch suspension lift in South Australia without an engineers cert, but you can do 2inch susp and 2 inch body lift, this came from ARB here in Adelaide, as well as the RTA inspector when I transfered the rego over as my baby came from interstate.

I would be very surprised if any body lift in any state would be legal. Not sure about SA, hopefully someone can advise over there.

MudRunnerTD
6th May 2012, 09:57 AM

True storey. A 2" suspension lift and a 2" body lift is legal without an Engineers Certificate. Go for it.

AB
6th May 2012, 10:38 AM
True storey. A 2" suspension lift and a 2" body lift is legal without an Engineers Certificate. Go for it.

Cheers MR, I always thought body lifts were illegal, they're not the safest things in the world!!!....We'll there you go!!!

luvpsi
6th May 2012, 01:28 PM
so if i was to get a GU lift kit for my GQ how would i get the correct load rating springs for my setup. i have a arb steel winch bar with winch will have dual batterys soon and drawers in back with fridge. i will not be towing. unless its a camper trailer which will be very rare. im looking at getting OME

Mojo01
7th May 2012, 07:10 AM
Well I found this on transport SA's Web Site..

Raising
Vehicle ride height can be increased by any combination of the following three methods. However, it
is important to note that a total lift of more than 50mm requires prior approval and a report from
a CPE.

Tyres / Rims

The fitting of rims with a different diameter to those listed on the vehicle’s tyre placard is
acceptable, provided that the overall diameter of the alternative rim/tyre combination is not
greater than
15mm over the largest combination or 15mm smaller than the smallest combination specified on the
vehicle’s tyre placard.

If you intend to fit rim/tyre combination outside the 15mm limit, then an application must be made
to Vehicle Standards for an Exemption from that particular section of the Road Traffic Act and a
report from a CPE supplied with the application.

Any replacement tyre fitted to your vehicle must also have a load capacity equal or greater than
the minimum specified on the manufacture’s tyre placard.

Suspension

When raising the ride height of your vehicle by changes to the suspension, you must ensure that the
original amount of rebound travel is maintained. The rebound shall be limited by the same method as
the original manufacturer (i.e. limit straps or shock absorber full extension).

The vehicle ride height cannot be raised by:
- Extended or adjustable shackle plates on leaf springs.
- Relocating a leaf spring on the opposite side of an axle to that of
the vehicle manufacturer.
- Spacer blocks mounted above or below the coil spring.
- Wedges or blocks located between the coils.
- Spacer blocks mounted between the top of the suspension strut
and vehicle body.

Body Lift

The body of a vehicle can be raised by up to 50mm by the fitting of spacer blocks between the
vehicle chassis and body at their mounting points. The blocks must be manufactured from steel,
aluminum, or metal of equivalent strength. In some cases the steering shaft may have to be extended
as well as longer brake hoses fitted.

If there is any alteration or replacement of the original steering components, then the
modification requires prior approval from Vehicle Standards and a roadworthiness inspection upon
completion. A report from a CPE may be required.
completion. A report from a CPE may be required.

General Requirements
When the ride height of a vehicle is raised, the vehicle must still comply with all legal
requirements, including:
- Lighting – the raising of the vehicle will affect the height of the vehicle’s lights
and reflectors and these have to remain within specific boundaries. Care must be taken to ensure
that the raising of the vehicle results in the vehicle not complying with the legal requirements.
- Mudguards – There is a minimum height that the
front and rear mudguards, or mudguards with mud flaps, can
be above the road surface. For a vehicle with off-road capabilities, the distance from the
mudguard/mud flap to the ground cannot be greater than 300mm and 230mm for other light road
vehicles.
- If the vehicle’s ride height is raised when a tow bar
is fitted, the height of the tow ball should be corrected to
maintain its original height prior to the vehicle being raised.

If you intend to raise the vehicle by over 50mm by either one or more of the three methods
mentioned, then an application must be made to Vehicle Standards prior to the commencement of the
modifications. A Statement of Requirements will then be issued identifying the vehicle, the
intended modification and any applicable requirements, including a requirement for a report from a
CPE. On completion of the work and certification by the CPE, the vehicle would be required
to pass a roadworthiness inspection. A fee is payable for the inspection.

The CPE would have to address the modifications, the stability, handling, braking ability and
verify the modified vehicle can safely
be driven on public roads.

The full version can be found here

http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/pdfs/personal_transport/light_vehicles_pdfs/MR1136_Requirements_for_Lowering_or_Raising_Vehicl e_Ride_Height.PDF

So technically a GU spring would be illegal in South Australia :( does it mean I will abide by the rules... of course I will I am a responsible person..

COUGH COUGH COUGH

Mojo01
7th May 2012, 07:18 AM
soz for the double post here but since 50mm is 1.9685039 inches , so a 2inch lift is not legal either, so not even the guy who inspected my vehicle knows the rules. LMFAO

Mojo01
8th May 2012, 03:55 PM
so if i was to get a GU lift kit for my GQ how would i get the correct load rating springs for my setup. i have a arb steel winch bar with winch will have dual batterys soon and drawers in back with fridge. i will not be towing. unless its a camper trailer which will be very rare. im looking at getting OME

funny you should ask this, I was at ARB this morning getting a quote for them to do my suspension, I was told that if i was to go with the GU springs not to go any higher than the mediums as the full heavys would make it a very harsh ride, however they did seem rather reluctant to fitt gu springs onto my gq... they will do it however, but did state that caster will also have to be fixed

luvpsi
8th May 2012, 06:11 PM
i was there myself also today caster correction should be done no matter what really in any 2" lift. im going to fit it myself so its only supplied so i cant see them being reluctant to sell me them haha

Mojo01
9th May 2012, 03:56 AM
I figured they may as well fit it for me while they are fitting my other goodies, too old cant be stuffed lol