PDA

View Full Version : Will 305/65R17 fit on a 8 x 17 rim

MEGOMONSTER
4th May 2012, 11:51 PM
My question is will 305/65R17 fit on a 8 x 17 standard rim or will the tyre bulge too much.
Or is a 285/70R17 the biggest I can go.
Cos from what I can gather the two tyre are sort of similar in overall dimension just the width is my concern.
Though I think it would look good or does someone have another suggestion to try and think about

Maxhead
5th May 2012, 07:41 AM
Have you got a lift at all??

I think they are both 33's so they will fit a non lifted patrol but might scrape a bit on flex. You might have to remove the front mud flaps. Will be fine with a 2" lift.

MEGOMONSTER
5th May 2012, 11:21 AM
Have you got a lift at all??

I think they are both 33's so they will fit a non lifted patrol but might scrape a bit on flex. You might have to remove the front mud flaps. Will be fine with a 2" lift.

Thanks, from reading other posts I gathered I would have to remove the mud flaps but the question is the standard 8" rim too small for a305 tyre.

Ps the lift should be going on in July, just preparing myself for the spenditure

Clunk
5th May 2012, 11:24 AM
Thanks, from reading other posts I gathered I would have to remove the mud flaps but the question is the standard 8" rim too small for a305 tyre.

Ps the lift should be going on in July, just preparing myself for the spenditure

they'll fit no problem mate, Nowoolies ( member on here) has them on his GU, fit no problem and hasnt needed to remove his mudflaps

MEGOMONSTER
5th May 2012, 07:48 PM
they'll fit no problem mate, Nowoolies ( member on here) has them on his GU, fit no problem and hasnt needed to remove his mudflaps

How can I get nowoolies pics of his car with these tyres and what make and model of tyre he used

Clunk
5th May 2012, 11:54 PM
How can I get nowoolies pics of his car with these tyres and what make and model of tyre he used

Have a look in members rides for his thread....... but i do know he had Mickey Thompson 4rib ATZ's fitted

Tap off!!!!!!!

Clunk
6th May 2012, 12:02 AM
Ok let's see if this works, im on tappatalk on the phone so have only just worked out how to copy and past links............

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=3230

Tap off!!!!!!!

Clunk
6th May 2012, 01:21 AM
Ok just worked out how to do this on the tappa to.......... here you go, one Newish GUrlywith a 2“lift sporting newly shod, 305*65*17 Mickey Thompson ATZ's.......... no problem with mudguards or rubbing and I can only presume tht due to the cavenous nature of GUrly arches, you should have no probe with no lift............ but don't quote me on it hahaha

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j424/nowoolies/newtyres4x4024.jpg

MEGOMONSTER
6th May 2012, 12:17 PM
Ok just worked out how to do this on the tappa to.......... here you go, one Newish GUrlywith a 2“lift sporting newly shod, 305*65*17 Mickey Thompson ATZ's.......... no problem with mudguards or rubbing and I can only presume tht due to the cavenous nature of GUrly arches, you should have no probe with no lift............ but don't quote me on it hahaha

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j424/nowoolies/newtyres4x4024.jpg

Wow thanks a lot really appreciate it.
That looks great and on orig rims.
Now I can't wait to get it done.

Clunk
6th May 2012, 01:54 PM
Wow thanks a lot really appreciate it.
That looks great and on orig rims.
Now I can't wait to get it done.

no worries mate, just dont forget to bang up some photos when you get them done

Yendor
6th May 2012, 02:21 PM
I run the Mickey T. 305/65 R17 on a GU with 2 inch lift and I had to remove the front mud flaps, you could get away with just cutting the inside edge off the mudflap.

My rim are 17 x 9. On the Mickey T. website it does recommended a 8.5-11 rim size

MEGOMONSTER
6th May 2012, 05:50 PM
no worries mate, just dont forget to bang up some photos when you get them done

ABSOLUTELY
Just cut a deal to get chip/exhaust straight away so Monday need to organize price and fitment, can't wait.

MEGOMONSTER
9th May 2012, 10:55 PM
thanks every one for their help and comments

MEGOMONSTER
6th September 2013, 07:17 PM
why is it that a 305/65-17 Tyre cost more than a 33/12.50-17.
they're both the same size aren't they.

can I put the 33/12.50-17 on my GU or is it metric only cos of the tyre plate on the vehicle.

Clunk
6th September 2013, 07:24 PM
size will be similar but probably less common in the imperial size compared to metric....................................... to be honest I always thought they were all metric for rims above 16in

couldnt tell you why the price is different though.................... its like comparing an equivalent sized tyre for a 15in rim to a 17 in rim, prices for tyres for the 17s are way more

happygu
6th September 2013, 07:59 PM
Mego,

I had 33 12.5r 17's MTZ's for the last 4 years, so they fit just fine, but they will hit the front mudflaps when on hard lock.

I have just gone to 285 75 17's KM2's, and they are the same rolling diameter, but a little narrower, and don't hit the mudflaps.

I don't regret the decision at all, as the tyres are a little lighter/thinner on the back door, making it a bit better trying to clean the rear glass with the tyre on the back door.

I have the rear wheel spacer, which you need for both anyway....

Mic

MEGOMONSTER
6th September 2013, 08:00 PM
size will be similar but probably less common in the imperial size compared to metric....................................... to be honest I always thought they were all metric for rims above 16in

couldnt tell you why the price is different though.................... its like comparing an equivalent sized tyre for a 15in rim to a 17 in rim, prices for tyres for the 17s are way more

I just thought the imperial sizes would be sold less being in Oz, and all in metric. But today I find a price difference.
33/12.50-17 $1529
305's $1700
285's $1780
WTF.