PDA

View Full Version : Power to UHF

Billsy
30th September 2010, 12:16 PM
Hi,

Forgive my ignorance on this but i have read that there is always a "hot" cicruit in the fuse box which you can wire your UHF into in order for it to be on without keys...Is this true ?

I now enough that i don't know enough about this and will be looking for an auto sparky to do the job but would be good to at least look as if i know what i'm talking about to some degree !

Any advice appreciated

Cheers

TOECUTTER
30th September 2010, 01:19 PM
Not sure, but I would imagine so. Get a test light and check the fuse box for a live circuit. I would imagine that the clock, or interior light circuit would be the way to go.

Cheers

TC

NissanGQ4.2
30th September 2010, 05:17 PM
I have my uhf hooked up in order for it to work without keys, I just got the test light and when i found a live wire with the keys out spliced into it :) i hop into the 4b of a mornin and hear the uhf still goin :( one day ill remember to turn it off

Timbo
1st October 2010, 09:03 AM
I think I wired mine straight to the battery. It's on when I want it on and it's easy to wire up.

Just don't leave it on for hours and hours while the car isn't running.

DX grunt
1st October 2010, 09:35 AM
I think I wired mine straight to the battery. It's on when I want it on and it's easy to wire up.

Just don't leave it on for hours and hours while the car isn't running.

I had mine wired up at the same time it was serviced and I'm pretty sure the mechanic wired it straight to the battery too. Mine's got a fuse attached to the wiring.

patch697
1st October 2010, 11:32 AM
If you go direct of the battery & use an inline noise filter for a car radio (sold at supa cheap) you will get the least amount of noise through the UHF which is what your looking for here.

Billsy
4th October 2010, 05:35 PM
Thanks folks

Have a dual battery set-up and don't have enough wire to get fomr the secondary through to the unit
Had a look at the grommet on the drivers side to see if i could get through there but it's too hard to get to

Based on the advice presented, i may just get a longer cable with an in-line fuse and pull it through the passenger side grommet as i've done with the antenna

It's not going to be the quickest installation on record but i'm enjoying it and learning as i go

Cheers

Adlarplant
4th October 2010, 11:51 PM
ive wired both my uhfs direct to the battery through relays i used the switched wire from the cigarette lighter to power the relays when the ignition comes on i dont like them on when the keys out is all cheers

Finly Owner
5th October 2010, 07:24 PM
Just one other thing that I haven't seen said, although most don't see it neccessary, I was advised to place inline fuse on both wires, I have also read this in top quality radio repiar manuals. I just can't remember exactly what it reduces the risk of (maybe negative short). But I have always done it and could look up why it is suggested.

Adlarplant
6th October 2010, 12:46 AM
i was told that fusing both wires was to help protect the set if battery hookup was incorrect i always thought a diode would be easier