PDA

View Full Version : Rear Light Kits

cambo
4th May 2012, 07:51 PM
Anyone found a kit to get the redundant rear lights working ?
My next project is calling.

dan&tamspatrol
4th May 2012, 07:57 PM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nissan-GU-Patrol-Wagon-New-Tail-Lights-3-Bulbs-Each-/380395523800?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5891570ed8

try these if you want to look ur self put gu patrol lights into the ebay search bar

paulvdw
4th May 2012, 08:04 PM
Just found and purchased these Nissan GU 4 04-10 Patrol New TailLights FULL Functions! from www.carsrus.com.au.

$155 for a pair and wiring harness.

Hopefully they do the job. will feedback when i recieve them

altech
5th May 2012, 08:27 AM
Hi Paul, I have same tailights from ebay , yes there are ready to go for fitting ,passager side just plugs in , but driver side on my Ti 98 I had to do some wiring as there nothing there to connect , which was ok as there a rubber gomit just below the inside of rear cabin that you can feed the stop/tail and blinker wires from the bumper lights harness, hope this helps . cheers Alex p.s. lens unit do have big slot globes ,the same sharp as dash light globe , hmmm

mudski
5th May 2012, 09:00 AM
Just found and purchased these Nissan GU 4 04-10 Patrol New TailLights FULL Functions! from www.carsrus.com.au.

The wiring harness they are talking about would be the wiring shown on the back of the light. I doubt it would be the actuall harness itself which is needed for the earlier trolls. I'm looking at doing the same as it's got me beat why they go to the trouble of making a car with dummy lights in it... But I am thinking of stopping past the wrecker and getting the actual rear harness assemblie of a later model car so its all done properly. I really just CBF'ed making one up. ;)

scotty83
5th May 2012, 09:11 AM
Hi Paul, I have same tailights from ebay , yes there are ready to go for fitting ,passager side just plugs in , but driver side on my Ti 98 I had to do some wiring as there nothing there to connect , which was ok as there a rubber gomit just below the inside of rear cabin that you can feed the stop/tail and blinker wires from the bumper lights harness, hope this helps . cheers Alex p.s. lens unit do have big slot globes ,the same sharp as dash light globe , hmmm

I ran them across the back door. Under the carpet and plastic strip. saved me having to go outside through grommits.

cambo
5th May 2012, 09:53 PM
Thanks guys - Has anyone done this on 09 GU - as i haven't checked if the original harness plug is still there, I would think it should be just haven't checked yet.

As musdski said i might also see if a late model nissan has the same connector then i could just modify to fit a patrol.

altech
6th May 2012, 11:22 AM
I ran them across the back door. Under the carpet and plastic strip. saved me having to go outside through grommits.

Hi Scotty, I did that for the reverse light , did you connect the right side blinker as had got that wire from bumper cheers Alex

hekarewe
7th May 2012, 10:31 AM

i got mine from carsrus over 12 months ago and they are great work a treat and good value for money.

oncedisturbed
7th May 2012, 12:47 PM
I need to look at something similar but would need an aftermarket "Y" frame wiring harness made up to plug into OEM wiring so that the tail lights and the bottom set on my kaymar bar together

MudRunnerTD
7th May 2012, 01:17 PM
I need to look at something similar but would need an aftermarket "Y" frame wiring harness made up to plug into OEM wiring so that the tail lights and the bottom set on my kaymar bar together

You will probably find OD that the factory wiring harness is in place in the guard and all you have to do is pop out the blank lens and you will nearly be a plug and play. The only problem light will be the reverse light as it only works on the Passenger side (go figure!) so you will have to run a single wire over to add the right side to the circuit.

Pretty basic mate. I didi mine on the side of the Murray River while camping ;) nice way to spend an afternoon ;)

oncedisturbed
7th May 2012, 02:18 PM
Ah cool, I take it the lights in the kaymar bar would be run seperately then? Would be good for plug and play then :)

MudRunnerTD
7th May 2012, 10:34 PM
Ah cool, I take it the lights in the kaymar bar would be run seperately then? Would be good for plug and play then :)

Nah i reckon they'd be using the loom plugs that would have supplied the lights on the factory rear bar? which is where the loom goes, the dummy lights that you have in your quarter panels will just have a loom plug floating in the panel waiting for you. ;)

Hans P Gunnarsson
8th May 2012, 05:22 PM
Hi, first I must say that you got a nice spec Patrol. In Sweden we are limited to the 3.0L Diesel.
I'm lookig for original tail lights made for other markets. I have found 26550VD325 and 2655VD325.
Is there anyone that got success in this case?
Please let me know when you get the aftermarket Y-frame wiring harness. My local Nissan dealer couldn't help me with loose connectors and pins.
Anyone that know where to get the connectors with pins? They look a bit like Deutch connectors but they are of another brand.

/Cheers!

megatexture
8th May 2012, 06:40 PM
im just going to drill mine out and whack in some led's seems to be the cheeper option and i dont see the point replaceing the whole unit if its not broken

oncedisturbed
12th May 2012, 02:31 AM
have thought about that as well but decided against it and will use the original ones as spares for the "just in case" scenarios

MEGOMONSTER
12th May 2012, 06:19 AM
By law I think you can only have three brake lights, two on the bar and one in the window, plus the 160 degree view of those lights.
So a pissed of copper could book you for this.
In saying this can't wait to get mine done.

P.S. great thread and responses (5stars)

paulvdw
12th May 2012, 05:03 PM
Righto

Have connected the rear lights i purchased from http://www.carsrus.com.au/ off e-bay.

There is no loom plug om my 2008 GU. Ran the wiring from the trailer plug up through the grommet sitting above the spare fuel tank along the back from left to right.
The only loom plug that is there is for the existing left reverse light. That needs to be run from left to right in order to get both working.

They work perfectly. Am really happy with the outcome!!
Cheers
paul

mudski
12th May 2012, 08:18 PM
Got a link to the exact ones you bought? I have seen a few different types floating around...

paulvdw
12th May 2012, 08:23 PM
Mudski

Here is a link to the exact ones i purchased.

http://www.carsrus.com.au/catalogsearch/result/?q=NGR-21043LHRH-COM

Cheers

mudski
12th May 2012, 11:09 PM
Thanks. Whats the reverse lights like in them? Nice and bright?

Bazhemps
14th May 2012, 02:16 PM
Purchase GU 98/01 rear tailight set fully operational on Ebay from autopartsmate for $122.50 free post. Fitted perfectly into passenger side all functioning. Drivers side had stop light and right blinker connected but no earth, tail light and reverse. Too hard trying to source connections to bumper loom so with a peice of yellow tongue ran three cables under carpet and connected appropriate wiring from passenger to drivers side. All works and looks great and easier than stuffing around fitting globe holders plus all lights are defined and it took about hour and half to install.
The Baz

paulvdw
14th May 2012, 03:55 PM
Lights nice and bright. Really happy with outcome!

mudski
15th May 2012, 05:05 PM
You don't happen to have a pic of it? Im stuck between those and these.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/380395523800?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

bordertech
15th May 2012, 08:10 PM
By law I think you can only have three brake lights, two on the bar and one in the window, plus the 160 degree view of those lights.
So a pissed of copper could book you for this.
In saying this can't wait to get mine done.

P.S. great thread and responses (5stars)Not quite so.
If they are connected they must in pairs and must both be working but the main reason they are not connected and the lights are in the bumper instead, is because they don't conform to the Australian Design Rules of lighting angle visibility, because the spare wheel location blocks it's view from the LHS.
GQ's from 1991 on had dummy lights too and lights put in the bumper for the same reason because 1991 was when the ADR's for lighting and other things was reformed. If you see a GQ with no lights in the bumper it's a 99% chance it's pre 1991.

So you can have 4 tail and brake lights but even though you get these all working the dummy lights are still technically illegal if used because of the ADR's and a cop who knows the regs could ping ya if he wanted.

Cheers, Dave

itchyvet
3rd August 2012, 10:30 PM
I had HOLDEN globe holders fitted, however, the brake fuse then melted the plastic on the fues holder around the fuse, causing it to become useless, had to rewire the fuse arrangement with bakelight fuse holder. Worked OK after that.

00marshall
28th August 2015, 09:17 PM
I'm about to start this project. Looking at a similar kit of eBay, and have a late model GU so hoping it's as straightforward as folks are saying here.

Only query I have (for now) is do I need a different fuse, and what rating do people suggest?

DaveGQ
27th April 2016, 02:50 PM
Anyone looking for a cheap option, rather than buying the $150+ kit, you can do it for about $10

Go to Supercheap Auto and buy a globe holder and some new globes. If the new globe holder is the same as the one as your current reverse light holder (mine was, they might be universal), use the existing hole for the current reverse light to draw up a little template, then transfer that template to the dummy brake light and cut out a hole in the plastic to suit the new globe holder.

Then just piggy back some wires from your brake lights in the bumper bar and up to the new lights. Easy, cheap, effective.