PDA

View Full Version : Air Jack vs Lift Jack. Or other alternatives?

kowalski
4th May 2012, 02:44 AM
hi fellas,
i was just wondering, what kind of lifting device you generally use. i guess at home in the garage most of you use a classic car jack on rollers. but what about outdoors? which comes more handy, also considering the different undersoils we are facing? i always thought the lift jack is somewhat of an itchy thing. the air jack seems to be a good partner if being alone outside.

what are your pros/cons for the two? or are there other alternatives?

cheers
seb

Ade
4th May 2012, 03:11 AM
Hi Seb,

I used High Lift and a bottle jack for out bushing. Never had a drama with them so far. I also keep a thick wood plank in the trol to be use on a soft soil. If you ever need to go under just parked your trol on a ditch/trench or bump and crawl under with wheels chocked. I don't even dare to go under on a high lift, and I don't think it would be safe either with the air jack..

Cheers,
Ade

kowalski
4th May 2012, 04:39 AM
hey Ade,

thanks for your helpful opinions. a bottle jack is that one which looks like a bottle, i guess :D
i get your point that neither the air jack, nor the lift jack gives one a safe enough feeling tinkering under the car. i'll keep that in mind.
cheerio
seb

Bigrig
4th May 2012, 05:23 AM
Air jack mate - getting one myself. Better on varied terrains and certainly heaps safer - especially on hills where sometimes you just can't find flat ground. Good for unbogging on sand also!!!

Bulbous
4th May 2012, 05:40 AM
Air jack mate - getting one myself. Better on varied terrains and certainly heaps safer - especially on hills where sometimes you just can't find flat ground. Good for unbogging on sand also!!!

Have you actually tried one? I 've never seen one work at all.

AB
4th May 2012, 06:15 AM
Mudrunner swears by them. We tried one on our last trip using Kris's new GU but it didn't work the best due to his angle cut on the exhaust end. The angle cut on the exhaust didn't get the exhaust jack cone to hook on properly so you have to make sure your exhaust end is a straight vertical cut.

growler2058
4th May 2012, 06:36 AM
Heard ya gotta be careful ya don't roll ya troll with em

Tappin N Crappin

AB
4th May 2012, 06:41 AM
Heard ya gotta be careful ya don't roll ya troll with em

Tappin N Crappin

Russel Coight style...LMAO

growler2058
4th May 2012, 06:48 AM
Hahahahah forgot about Russ but rekin it was in a 4wd action DVD

Tappin N Crappin

Silver
4th May 2012, 07:03 AM
which one, Growlers? The high lift? I suppose depending on the circumstances either kind would produce enough height in the lift to warrant some thought to prevent a roll.

The other issues with high lifts, which each has a solution, are how to attach it to the vehicle - special sling that picks up wheel studs, mods to bull bar, use of rear hitch receiver. How to avoid damage to panels if the vehicle moves away from the jack unexpectedly, etc etc.

The marketing for hi lifts sometimes includes that you can move a vehicle sideways by lifting it, and then deliberately pushing the vehicle sideways. Now that sounds exciting with potential for panel damage too, but I don't think it would often be an option with the air bag.

Off road I have so far gotten away with a couple of screw jacks including the one that Nissan supplied. I confess I also have a shorter one that bears a name that starts with T. Two jacks are often better than one, eg. there was a time when I had our old MQ wagon sitting on the chassis on tree roots in a washed out track. careful use of the two jacks plus some packing under the tyres saved a lot of load on the hand winch operators and on suspension components as I was able to lift wheels to meet the step ups rather than skull dragging first onto, then up and over.

In saying it saved a lot of load on the handwinch, it was a very short recovery, and there were two enthusiastic mates on the winch lever - I had to ask them to slow down :-)

I have the shorter jack, that bears the dreaded T, and that I think came from a Dyna because I have previously had issues getting the supplied jack under and lifting the MQ, and a mate's trailer, both cases running 10R tyres.

Sounds like something to muck around with under controlled conditions at a forum meet up. I'll take my airbag up to the Qld get together in October.

growler2058
4th May 2012, 07:07 AM
Was the exhaust jack I remember seeing the warning about rollovers

Tappin N Crappin

taslucas
4th May 2012, 07:18 AM
With my old MQ shorty we have used a highlift on the side and then simply driven forward. Not a very good practice but in the heat of the moment and on a vehicle that you don't care about the panels, it works well. Having said that, I've done it a few times and not touched the panels.
I like the high lift because it gives a good amount of lift. Handy if your changing a tyre in a rut etc
What sort of height do you get out of an exhaust jack?

Tap, crackle, pop

Winnie
4th May 2012, 08:13 AM
I dunno if I'd be game enough to change a tyre using a hi lift! I bought my hi lift and the only place I have for lifting the car is on the hitch receiver and I'm not sure even that is okay. Will be different when I get a steel bar/side steps.

taslucas
4th May 2012, 08:20 AM
I dunno if I'd be game enough to change a tyre using a hi lift! I bought my hi lift and the only place I have for lifting the car is on the hitch receiver and I'm not sure even that is okay. Will be different when I get a steel bar/side steps.

Yeah it's all down to the mounting points. When you get your bar and steps, make sure you think about mounting points.

Tap, crackle, pop

MudRunnerTD
4th May 2012, 08:33 AM
Changing a CV in the bush with the Exhaust Jack.

http://nissanpatrol.com.au/images/Stripping%20the%20GQ/GQ%20CV%20rebuild/P1060048-2.jpg?t=1330756180

Would never go any other way. Note the wheel went under the car for safety and we ran the winch cable out to the side as we were on a side slope in this pic. Do that with a High lift or Bottle jack and feel safe? Good luck.

Imagine the same photo in a Rutting Mud hole or Sand???? Murphy's law will alway put you in the worst spot when you need to fix it mate ;)

Exhaust Jack 100% of the time, it is part of my Standard Recovery Equipment.

http://nissanpatrol.com.au/images/Stripping%20the%20GQ/GQ%20CV%20rebuild/P1060051-2.jpg

to do this with a Hi Lift i would have to lift the car from the front bar and allow for full suspension articulation to lift the wheel off the ground! That is a Long Way Up! Note the Exhaust jack is straight under the diff and the diff is nearly flat. all good and nice and safe.

**Note in the top pic that the rear suspension is not even articulating!! the car is nearly in a flat stance as it would sit in your driveway!! ;)

taslucas
4th May 2012, 08:59 AM
that looks nice and stable. What would the chances be of the exhaust jack popping out forwards or backwards if the vehicle moves or if the jack is over inflated?

growler2058
4th May 2012, 09:04 AM
Strewth Dazz is that a toymota driver in the internals of your troll ;-) Very brave mate very brave

MudRunnerTD
4th May 2012, 09:16 AM
that looks nice and stable. What would the chances be of the exhaust jack popping out forwards or backwards if the vehicle moves or if the jack is over inflated?

exactly the same risk as if it was on a Hi Lift Jack and the car moved, except the car would be much much higher when the jack moved ;)

MudRunnerTD
4th May 2012, 09:19 AM
Strewth Dazz is that a toymota driver in the internals of your troll ;-) Very brave mate very brave

He is a good man Growls!. he was my Navi this day and as quick as a flash mate he was out and into it, i did not even get an option. Done and dusted. I'd have him in my car any day of the week.

The following weekend he helped me strip the front end out and rebuild both sides as there was a fair bit of junk and damage to the inside of the swivel hub. He is a good man.

MudRunnerTD
4th May 2012, 09:20 AM

I call this the Blue Wiggle shot LMFAO

http://nissanpatrol.com.au/images/Stripping%20the%20GQ/GQ%20CV%20rebuild/P1060053-2.jpg

rusty_nail
4th May 2012, 09:36 AM
thanks for sharing mudrunner, i always wondered about these. i spose it all comes down to finding the correct inflation levels?

Ade
4th May 2012, 10:05 AM

Would never go any other way. Note the wheel went under the car for safety and we ran the winch cable out to the side as we were on a side slope in this pic. Do that with a High lift or Bottle jack and feel safe? Good luck.

Imagine the same photo in a Rutting Mud hole or Sand???? Murphy's law will alway put you in the worst spot when you need to fix it mate ;)

to do this with a Hi Lift i would have to lift the car from the front bar and allow for full suspension articulation to lift the wheel off the ground! That is a Long Way Up! Note the Exhaust jack is straight under the diff and the diff is nearly flat. all good and nice and safe.

**Note in the top pic that the rear suspension is not even articulating!! the car is nearly in a flat stance as it would sit in your driveway!! ;)

Did you really broke your cv..??? You played it hard boss...really hard! What are the common causes cv to break anyway?

DX grunt
4th May 2012, 10:14 AM

http://nissanpatrol.com.au/images/Stripping%20the%20GQ/GQ%20CV%20rebuild/P1060048-2.jpg?t=1330756180

I nominate this thread for 'The Best Safety Pic':smiley_thumbs_up::toot::icon_victory::clappin g:

Amazing!!!!Occasionally, I come across a thread that 'floats my boat' - and this is one of them. LOL.

From what I see in this pic and the comments from MR, he is not a risk taker and does what it takes to make his vehicle safe.

I'd suggest all Forum members and visitors have a really good look at this pic. You might learn something - as I did.

I have personally used both, and without any doubt, favour the 'exhaust jack'

With any form of lifting equipment, safety must be paramount and people should not be risk takers.

Complete concentration is required when using any lifting equipment- without being affected by alcohol, drugs or both, fatigued, hung over or dehydrated - to name a few.

I am so impressed with this thread that I'm publicly acknowledging MR, by offering him a prize - a pair of my pre-loved, washed, dried and folded spandies.

Well done, mate. Top effort!

Take care out there.

Rossco

growler2058
4th May 2012, 10:25 AM
Strewth i aint goin for no 1st prizes hahahahhaha

DX grunt
4th May 2012, 10:27 AM
Strewth i aint goin for no 1st prizes hahahahhaha

They do stretch, if required - that's why I got them. lol. PML

Maxhead
4th May 2012, 10:31 AM
I nominate this thread for 'The Best Safety Pic':smiley_thumbs_up::toot::icon_victory::clappin g:

Amazing!!!!Occasionally, I come across a thread that 'floats my boat' - and this is one of them. LOL.

From what I see in this pic and the comments from MR, he is not a risk taker and does what it takes to make his vehicle safe.

I'd suggest all Forum members and visitors have a really good look at this pic. You might learn something - as I did.

I have personally used both, and without any doubt, favour the 'exhaust jack'

With any form of lifting equipment, safety must be paramount and people should not be risk takers.

Complete concentration is required when using any lifting equipment- without being affected by alcohol, drugs or both, fatigued, hung over or dehydrated - to name a few.

I am so impressed with this thread that I'm publicly acknowledging MR, by offering him a prize - a pair of my pre-loved, washed, dried and folded spandies.

Well done, mate. Top effort!

Take care out there.

Rossco

But everything is so much clearer and easier after a few cans :)

growler2058
4th May 2012, 11:45 AM
But everything is so much clearer and easier after a few cans :)

Remind me to stand well clear when you get yer exhaust jack out hahahahahahahahaha

Maxhead
4th May 2012, 11:56 AM
Remind me to stand well clear when you get yer exhaust jack out hahahahahahahahaha

C'mon mate, I reckon I might need a second set of lungs to blow the sucker up...HAHAHHA

MudRunnerTD
4th May 2012, 03:37 PM
thanks for sharing mudrunner, i always wondered about these. i spose it all comes down to finding the correct inflation levels?

The correct inflation levels are really basic. You can inflate an exhaust jack off idle on a diesel! i did in the pics above! might have given it a slight rev but its not hard. In terms of amount of inflation! inflate till the car is high enough then stop ;) Just like any other jack! They have a non-return valve so just make the adjustments and on your way. They do tend to go down very very slowly like most other jacks and every 5 or 10 minutes on a job like an emergency CV we just tickle her up a couple of inches whenever it needs it.

We even adjusted the height of the diff to stop the diff oil running out the swivel hub during the repair by lifting that little bit more ;)

MudRunnerTD
4th May 2012, 05:47 PM
Did you really broke your cv..??? You played it hard boss...really hard! What are the common causes cv to break anyway?

LMAO Ummm????? Yes i definitely Broke the CV ;)

VVVVV A Close up pic of a nearly serviceable CV

http://nissanpatrol.com.au/images/Stripping%20the%20GQ/GQ%20CV%20rebuild/P1060056-2.jpg

http://nissanpatrol.com.au/images/Stripping%20the%20GQ/GQ%20CV%20rebuild/P1060058-2.jpg

This can be done with Big Tyres Spinning off the Ground then slamming into the ground with a bit of a Whack! Bugger!

Here is another shot of the setup of the Exhaust Jack and Winch rope tether. the tether was out at about a 60degree angle to the car to stop us rolling sideways when the jack lifted the car.

http://nissanpatrol.com.au/images/Stripping%20the%20GQ/GQ%20CV%20rebuild/P1060049-2.jpg?t=1336116226

Fun Day.

Rebuilt the front end the following weekend then went and smashed the Highmount the weekend after that! Damn it.

MudRunnerTD
5th May 2012, 09:05 PM
Bump for the Rouge Dung Beetle, he cant find the thread!!

djc123
5th May 2012, 09:14 PM
I call this the Blue Wiggle shot LMFAO

http://nissanpatrol.com.au/images/Stripping%20the%20GQ/GQ%20CV%20rebuild/P1060053-2.jpg

If that's the BLUE WIGGLE shot ... what will we call this one then?

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g350/ddjjcc112233/dd4e6db4.jpg

MudRunnerTD
5th May 2012, 09:16 PM
Ummm? I can Moderate you ;)

growler2058
5th May 2012, 09:34 PM
HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHA s ok Danny i can un moderate hahahahahahha that would be called pethadine wiggle

kowalski
8th May 2012, 07:25 PM
cool my thread gained such an informative momentum. @mudrunner: thanks for posting your pics. makes it hard not to go for the air jack. with a bit of safety kept in mind, this seems quite a versatile tool. and off-topic though, but i love your truck, man! those additional headlights are just about the correct size for it. i was looking for something similar, but wasnt sure it it werent overkill. now i see they fit nicely.

Chris88
10th August 2012, 11:05 PM
Swear by my hi lift every time took my pto bar and setup off for around town just weighed to much haven't thrown an electric one on yet so the hi lift comes with me every time wether jacking up or pulling with it or you need a 50 kg papper weight I reckon there pretty reliable I have only used a air jack couple times and wasn't to impressed

Waza
3rd December 2012, 04:25 PM
Great thread, guess I'm buying an exhaust jack now :-) I have always been a little sus on the hi lifty.

Cheers

mudski
3rd December 2012, 11:11 PM
Yeah I have one and we had to use it on the Vic meet up as I blew a tyre in a rut. Once we got the fitting onto the exhaust right it worked really well. We also use a hi-lift aswell and the winch rope to support it whilst the tyre was getting changed. Well worth having I think. But I think i will get a hi-lift to as support or backup for the exhaust jack.

dads tractor
6th December 2012, 09:05 PM
Gang just my pov hi lift kangaroo jacks call what you will are a good option in sandy area,s and a good arm strong winch when used with chains any where else the air bag are so much easier and lighter to use .Most people tend to use the air jack in a vertical mode but the safest way is the horizontal way with your spare wheel underneath as packing . As for problems inflating on a standard nissan cut exhaust push on firmly and press down and forward . If your bottomed out sitting on the diffs use a snatch stap rope or what ever to tie the bag under the side of least packing ie left or right 90 degres to the air bag and inflate laying on its side. Please be aware when wet think of soap in shower and be careful. Note mudski only inflated to get job done that's about 1/2 by the looks not knowing the brand and being there ,what ever it takes and no more. I love them light and easy .

Cuppa
7th December 2012, 11:14 PM
Just scored a TLV branded 4 ton exhaust jack (with schraeder valve for compressor use) off ebay for $61. Well pleased.

Cuppa