PDA

View Full Version : 2" or 4" Lift ????????

healy
3rd May 2012, 09:01 PM
so i was set on keeping to a 2" for legal reasons how ever over the last two weeks i keep changing my mind 2" or 4" what to do i know the price is a big factor in difference but im happy to buy in parts over time? so whats ya thoughts help me decide please as i dont really plan on selling the car at all in about two years i will strip down paint and add a v8 diesel sorry going off track here 2" or 4"?and what exactly do i need for a 4 inch lift? and does ironman do a 4" lift?

97_gq_lwb
3rd May 2012, 09:17 PM
2 inch lift springs and shocks
Heres an ironman 4 inch kit http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NISSAN-PATROL-GQ-GU-IRONMAN-4WD-4-LIFT-LOT-/300629551478?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item45feeae976

I am going 2 inch spring 2 inch body myself eventually.
And have been warned off ironman stuff by more then one person.
Read about a few good places like suspension stuff and superior engineering on here i am sure someone will add some input on them.

growler2058
3rd May 2012, 09:24 PM
This is what ive got the $3080 kit http://www.bigo4x4.com.au/default.asp?page=suspension

Clunk
3rd May 2012, 10:15 PM
Plenty of threads on here that explain exactly what you need for a 4" lift, all of which I believe you will need to get and fit at the same time, sorry I can't remember all the bits n pieces but there's extended break lines, castor correction,,radius arms etc etc, so yourgonna need to have the dough for it all.
Now with a 2 " lift, all you will need is the shocks and springs, job done.
All boils down to what you want to do in your trol and how much you want to spend but i will say one thing....... Don't cheap out!!!!! Spend once, spend wisely

AB
3rd May 2012, 11:01 PM
It's a tricky question mate.

I ended up getting the 2" GU OME suspension on my GQ so it bought it up to 3". Along with the 33's I am sitting legal and apart from severe trenches I pretty much get everywhere and I don't have to stress everytime police are behind me or checking me out.

I might head down the body lift stage one day soon with 35's but I'm a happy camper at the moment.

MudRunnerTD
4th May 2012, 12:00 AM
GQ or GU?

What do you want and expect to do with the car? how much driving have you already done in the car or any 4x4 for that matter? real questions that you need to consider before jumping off the end of the pier.

A 2' lift is springs and shocks and fitted in your driveway iin a few hours for less than $1000.

A 4" kit includes,
4 x Springs
4 x Shocks
Drop Boxes
Front and Rear adjustable Panards
Adjustable upper rear trailing arms
Adjustable drag link
Extended brake lines
Brake bias plate

You wont get much, if any, change from $3000.

If your going 4" then you really should also add to the list
Heavy Duty standard length Lower rear trailing arms
HD Tie Rod
Gear Box Spacers
Extended bump stops
There is another $600 to $1000 in that extras list.

Figure out what you want to do with the car mate.

Have fun.

PyroMANIAC
4th May 2012, 01:57 AM
I bought a car with a 4 inch lift and now having trouble getting a RWC and changing into my name. The lift was done professional with all the bits and pieces......can someone tell me please if i wanted to drop it back to standard for RWC purposes ( all standard parts come with the car) would i need to take all the bits n pieces off as well? It would be a waste of a lift kit!!!
Sorry if it isnt the right place to ask the question........

healy
4th May 2012, 03:07 PM
It's a tricky question mate.

I ended up getting the 2" GU OME suspension on my GQ so it bought it up to 3". Along with the 33's I am sitting legal and apart from severe trenches I pretty much get everywhere and I don't have to stress everytime police are behind me or checking me out.

I might head down the body lift stage one day soon with 35's but I'm a happy camper at the moment.

whats the damage on that lift 2'' ome?? is it just the same as installing the gq 2" lift? no extra stuff to install extended lines etc

MudRunnerTD
4th May 2012, 03:28 PM
whats the damage on that lift 2'' ome?? is it just the same as installing the gq 2" lift? no extra stuff to install extended lines etc

Straight springs and Shocks only.

MudRunnerTD
4th May 2012, 03:29 PM
I bought a car with a 4 inch lift and now having trouble getting a RWC and changing into my name. The lift was done professional with all the bits and pieces......can someone tell me please if i wanted to drop it back to standard for RWC purposes ( all standard parts come with the car) would i need to take all the bits n pieces off as well? It would be a waste of a lift kit!!!
Sorry if it isnt the right place to ask the question........

You'd only need to take out the Springs and Shocks, leave the rest there. note that any caster correction will unduly affect the steering while you drive it to be inspected but then put it all back in when your done.

Do Not dismantle anything.

healy
5th May 2012, 01:37 PM
Straight springs and Shocks only.

hey mate do you know who sells the ome suspension?? and roughly whats a good price for it

growler2058
5th May 2012, 01:39 PM
hey mate do you know who sells the ome suspension?? and roughly whats a good price for it

Arb DO OME

TimE
5th May 2012, 01:41 PM
Compromise, I have a 70mm Ridepro lift, springs and shocks and castor bushes, works pretty well for me and doesn't look too exterme, i.e. doesn't attract MIB attention. Kit comes with sway bar extensions as well.

Check here (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?360-Time-s-GU-IV-4.2TD)for some pics.

healy
5th May 2012, 01:43 PM
ok cool one more question for anybody who can answer it so if i go any branded 3" all i need is springs and shocks??

growler2058
5th May 2012, 01:48 PM
ok cool one more question for anybody who can answer it so if i go any branded 3" all i need is springs and shocks??

I think 3" you need to start looking at castor correction mate

growler2058
5th May 2012, 01:49 PM
Also dont discount TJM XGS Gold Timbo has it on his GU and we saw some awesome flex from him at Loveday over easter

TimE
5th May 2012, 02:54 PM

The Ridepro kit came with castor correction bushes, sway bar extensions and you may need 10-15 mm front trailing arm spacers as well to stop the tyres rubbing on the mud flaps. I had mine done 4 years ago for $1500, included a Ridepro steering damper as well.

healy
5th May 2012, 05:10 PM
The Ridepro kit came with castor correction bushes, sway bar extensions and you may need 10-15 mm front trailing arm spacers as well to stop the tyres rubbing on the mud flaps. I had mine done 4 years ago for $1500, included a Ridepro steering damper as well.

i just bought a ironman foam cell steering damper and installed it a couple of weeks ago do i need to upgrade that if i go 3" i know it fits 2"

TimE
5th May 2012, 05:51 PM
i just bought a ironman foam cell steering damper and installed it a couple of weeks ago do i need to upgrade that if i go 3" i know it fits 2"

No, you shouldn't have to. Mine replaced an original Nissan piece of spaghetti thin dampener.

healy
9th May 2012, 08:42 PM
so i bought the 2" gu lift kit hopefully should be here soon tuesday at the lattest

Clunk
9th May 2012, 08:52 PM
so i bought the 2" gu lift kit hopefully should be here soon tuesday at the lattest

Don't forget the before and after shots mate..... You should know by now we love our piccies here lol

Taps a lot!!!!!!

healy
10th May 2012, 02:23 PM
so lift kit arrived today whats the process to putting in the lift as i'm going to do it my self obviously jack it up remove wheels what else??

GQSWB
6th July 2012, 05:39 AM
i voted 2inch, ill prob drop mine to 2 inch flexy coils, depends on how much attention i get