PDA

View Full Version : making own bar work

healy
2nd May 2012, 10:56 PM
so i bought a pipe bender and am gonna have a go at making front winch bar, rear bar and rock sliders any body got any measurements of pipe and strength of steel i should use??

Bigrig
2nd May 2012, 11:03 PM
Hey boss - I used 50mm and 43mm for the rear bar on mine ... 3mm tube though (Inner Diameter 44mm and 37mm respectively). Strong as, and you can bend it with most SuperCheap Auto pipe bender kits (i.e. don't have to pay for the big hooers with 3" dies etc).

Trick to bending the pipe - fill it with damp sand and it minimises the crush mark caused by the die and looks more like a proper mandrel bend. Just borrowed a pipe bender to re-do my rear bar also (and another for a mate on here).

Make sure you take happy snaps and show us the progress/concepts. Love that sort of stuff.

healy
2nd May 2012, 11:05 PM
will do mate cant wait too frustrate myself least the fridge will be loaded

healy
2nd May 2012, 11:06 PM
sand can i just use some dirt from the backyard? should i fill the whole tube?

Bigrig
2nd May 2012, 11:14 PM
sand can i just use some dirt from the backyard? should i fill the whole tube?

Don't think so - I think the concept is sand won't compress (like dirt will), it allows for movement, and more importantly just tips out once complete (take the tape off the ends and pour out).

Tweakedoffroad
3rd May 2012, 04:32 AM
Brickys sand is good for this
Take some pics along the way to show us your tests stuff ups and finished products lol

healy
9th May 2012, 08:44 PM
so will be starting either the sliders or rear bar saturday got some tube today just gotta clear that garage out abit

Silver
9th May 2012, 08:56 PM
There is an interesting profile around - I think it is stock yard railing.

It is D section, so don't know that it would bend. I can see a possibility for it in sliders, if it is thick enough?

Some relos have used it on verandah railings etc and it looks great there, too.

healy
9th May 2012, 09:23 PM
There is an interesting profile around - I think it is stock yard railing.

It is D section, so don't know that it would bend. I can see a possibility for it in sliders, if it is thick enough?

Some relos have used it on verandah railings etc and it looks great there, too.

had a look at it would look good also as rear and front bar thanks for that