PDA

View Full Version : GQ petrol stalls when backing off

dig
1st May 2012, 10:19 PM
I have just found myself a new 91 4.2 carby wagon, It had a blown head gasket and all the out of adjustments that come with a car with that not running well and a owner that will try anything to make it seem better.
I have replaced the head and timed the spark adjusted the mixture but when I drive it hard then back off it stalls, it also runs on a bit, any obvious things out there that I should shoot at?
Ps the run on was worse before the mix adjust.

Bigrig
1st May 2012, 10:45 PM
The stall when letting off the right pedal is lack of fuel or not strong enough base idle (I think???). Not sure on carby models though, so hang tight and hopefully someone will be along to assist mate.

dig
1st May 2012, 11:01 PM
Thanks bigrig, I had the idle at 1100 and it still happend, but you still may be right on the lack of fuel, vac leak? hmmm

Robo
2nd May 2012, 03:28 AM
deceleration device may need attention, possibly blocked passages in carb.
try a good liberal spray carby clean with engine cold and see what happens.
my old girl suffered a little this way, stalling when we first got it 3 yrs ago.
the above was the trouble.
also check you have no broken linkages on carb around auto choke there's plenty of em.

dig
2nd May 2012, 06:39 AM
will do today Robo, Thanks mate.

97_gq_lwb
2nd May 2012, 09:24 AM
Should be an idle mixture adjustment as well their is an adjustment procedure in a manual somewhere might be in the haynes manual if you need it i can dig it out one laying around here somewhere.
Something like wind it in until it starts to die then out 1 turn or similar someone else might remember.

dig
2nd May 2012, 12:17 PM
I have both Haynes and the gregorys, the gregorys has it. it is a bit of hold your tounge to the left with the right foot up sort of thing. I did it and have gone a turn either side and still the same. thinking part block as I can hear crackle and pop as the fuel is being sucked in?

Robo
2nd May 2012, 02:22 PM
Haynes make a good manual, plenty of info and still understandable for a novice to feel confident.
And will still have you reaching for it in yrs to come.
Gregorys make good door stops.
Crackel and pop , " only crunchy ".
sounds like needing some attention alright.

dig
16th May 2012, 04:53 PM
recarb on the sunny coast do a holley with a gas intake for $690 hmmmmm.