PDA

View Full Version : A/C and Blower Fan/Car Alarm - All not Working post replacing batteries

Bigrig
1st May 2012, 12:16 PM
Howdy all

just received a call for help from one of our members overseas ... have a gander and post away if you feel you can offer assistance.

This is about my daughter in law's Patrol which is a 98 TI 4.2, Type: KD-WRG, Y61 with the TD42 Engine, it's an Automatic with most of the available extras on one can think about, including climate control, alarm etc. !

Last week the batteries went weak and she couldn't start it, but considering the age of the batteries they were long overdue for a change anyway.

My stepson tried to jumpstart it and managed to get it running, so they went to the next available battery place in town and he got two new ones and installed them there by himself.

Looks all done correctly, the only trouble is now that the A/C and also the blower fan isn't going anymore.
Also the Alarm isn't working either now.

I have asked if maybe he didn't take the ignition key out of the lock and left the ignition on whilst this was happening, but apparently he did this (took the key out).

I have checked the two 15 amp Fan fuses in the panel inside and they look intact, never mind, they are a bit blue on the contact tongues, but there is also current on both ends.
Haven't gone any further yet as they need the truck all the time and I can't play around on it in the dark, maybe there's something wrong underneath the fusebox in the contacts and wiring.

Is there a possibility that in case the ignition was ON whilst swapping the batteries the control unit might have been damaged or something else, maybe the fanspeed resistor is blown or even the whole fan motor ?

The fan does not work on any of the 4 settings, by the way, I can hear flaps moving when I operate the controls though. The LCD-diplay shows all the functions, but fan and compressor clutch are not going.
The system seems to have plenty of gas in it, so I don't think that is the problem and it was working fine before.

Would say to myself to look at the A/C Relay which seems to be very "silent" when I hold a finger on it and operate the A/C controls and ignition, but I can't get the it out by any means and I don't want to ruin it in case it isn't the culprit. Is there a special trick to get the relays out without breaking them?

We live rurally and getting bits and pieces here is a bit hard at times, trips to Auckland are allways a 1/2 day or so affair, so the trial and error method is a bit of a hard one without bits.

I was just wondering if you would be so kind and maybe give me an idea what could be wrong with it because I am pretty sure that looking at the problem after the batteries have been changed, it would have to be one of these items that could be damaged, in case the ignition was left on during the process.
Strangely enough, the Alarm doesn't work anymore either, which might be an indication for that as well.

Would be very grateful if you could give me some advice, maybe a wiring diagram or so if you have one.

ripper
2nd May 2012, 10:04 PM
Would say to myself to look at the A/C Relay which seems to be very "silent" when I hold a finger on it and operate the A/C controls and ignition, but I can't get the it out by any means and I don't want to ruin it in case it isn't the culprit. Is there a special trick to get the relays out without breaking them?

This sounds like the same problem my father had getting the flasher unit out of his Toyota Cressida. After fighting with it for ages, he finally got it to come out, and it looked like one of the terminals had actually been soldered into the socket. Crazy I know, but that's what it looked like.

If it's that hard to get out, I be testing if power is getting there before removing it. You have power at the fuse, where does it go from there?

Bigrig
2nd May 2012, 10:37 PM
Thanks mate - I've sent him a link to the thread and told him to have a gander ... he's in a reasonably remote area overseas, so not sure how often he can/does get on.