PDA

View Full Version : Relocating trailer plug

AB
30th April 2012, 04:47 PM
Not the most exciting post but just thought I would throw this out there for people to do as It works a treat!

I was sick of bending the plug back to shape and spending time scrapping out mud from the socket after the trips.

Simple job....Take the plug off (remember to disconnect power to the plug too). Drill a hole in the rear step, relocate the wires and screw it on the rear step plate....Job done...Out of the way from bumps and mud.

Bigrig
30th April 2012, 04:54 PM
Seeing as I did it about 8 months ago, it's officially my idea!! lmao

Good tip mate ...

AB
30th April 2012, 04:56 PM

Good tip mate ...

Arr mate, you can take this one..lol...I'm surprised that plug stayed there as long as it did. I spent about an hour at Loveday scrapping all the crap out as well before hooking the camper up!!!

Bigrig
30th April 2012, 05:07 PM
Arr mate, you can take this one..lol...I'm surprised that plug stayed there as long as it did. I spent about an hour at Loveday scrapping all the crap out as well before hooking the camper up!!!

I'm amazed heaps of them aren't ripped off more often ...

And nahhh .. you can have this one!!! lol

04OFF
30th April 2012, 07:16 PM
I had the same issue AB, i installed one of these.....

http://www.accessoriesonline.com.au/shop/product.php?productid=16745&cat=616&page=1

Mine has a round 7 pin end, the "flat" cable is designed to get shut in a boot/door rubber without damage, i have mine connected and sitting behind the inside flap you remove to change tail light bulbs, if you need to tow, you just pull it out and connect to trailer, then shut the back door on it as normal.

AB
30th April 2012, 07:28 PM
Commodores have them and they are the best....Bummer, never even thought of that....lol...Feeling down now!!!

ripper
30th April 2012, 08:58 PM

Good tip mate ...

Our Trol had one like that when we bought it :tease:

Since then I added a flat one and piggybacked it off the round one, then screwed it onto the bottom of the step.

A word of warning to anyone drilling through the step like Andy did. Make sure there's not a mounting bracket behind where you drill the hole. Whoever did ours hardly left enough room to get the wires past the bracket, and if you get it wrong you'll end up with an ugly hole that the socket can't cover.

AB
30th April 2012, 09:13 PM
Yep I forgot to mention that. I did check out what was going on behind the step. If you drill directly on the corner bend of the step then it misses the bracket and bar, etc and is an easy direction for the cable to run through as well.

ripper
30th April 2012, 09:29 PM
Minor hijack.

A flat plug fits really well under the step.

NissanGQ4.2
30th April 2012, 09:40 PM
Because I have a 2inch body lift I located the flat plug between the top of the rear bar and the body itself

Winnie
30th April 2012, 09:57 PM
Mine had a flat plug screwed to the bottom of the step

Tappa tappa

hekarewe
30th April 2012, 10:58 PM

Good tip mate ...

i will see your 8 months and raise you early 2010 was one of the first changes i did to my GU when i brought it so the idea is mine ROFLMAO

also put the anderson plug on top of step to get it out of the dirt and damage zone too :)

PowerSlide Racing
23rd May 2013, 09:53 AM
Sorry to drag up an old thread but im just about to install a trailer plug and will mount on the step as per this thread. My question do people do anything to protect the terminals on the back of the plug from water/mud etc? I was thinking to smother them in grease after the wires are fitted and tightened or is it just not an issue?

MudRunnerTD
23rd May 2013, 09:57 AM
Not really an issue mate, when you do it you will note that the wires are pretty protected and tucked up up there.

threedogs
23rd May 2013, 01:00 PM
great idea bigrig,nissanGQ4.2, ripper and hekarewe ,where'd you say you got the idea from AB,,,,,,,,,,.LOL

@ PSR a coating of battery terminal spray, Lanotec might not hurt to weather proof it a bit more, water is the enemy eh

PowerSlide Racing
23rd May 2013, 08:36 PM
Theres a spray for everything isnt there :D I'll have a look for that one.

AB
23rd May 2013, 08:47 PM
Theres a spray for everything isnt there :D I'll have a look for that one.

My post was done over 12 months ago mate and to date it has worked a treat and kept a lot of the regular mud out of the socket. Well worth doing that's for sure!

Especially when you drop into holes having the plug underneath the bar was always getting caked in mud and dirty water.

BigRAWesty
24th May 2013, 12:04 AM
Great little mod guys. Shall change mine when I install the new tail lights..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

PowerSlide Racing
24th May 2013, 09:44 AM
Ok fellas need a bit of assistance, I went to wire up the plug, pulled the side panels off behind the wheel arches expecting to find the loom there but all i can find is a small loom feeding the reversing lights? Where does the trailing wireing typically hook into the loom on a GQ? My only previous experience with trailer wireing has been sedans where the loom is easily accessible from the boot.

AB
24th May 2013, 08:59 PM
Ok fellas need a bit of assistance, I went to wire up the plug, pulled the side panels off behind the wheel arches expecting to find the loom there but all i can find is a small loom feeding the reversing lights? Where does the trailing wireing typically hook into the loom on a GQ? My only previous experience with trailer wireing has been sedans where the loom is easily accessible from the boot.

Hey mate, you shouldn't need to go anywhere near the wheel arches. Just disconnect the battery, remove the wires directly from the plug under the bar, drill a hole in alloy bar, feed the wires through with some extra conduit so it doesn't rub against the hole cut and re wire....

There should be plenty of length to pull it up above the bar.

PowerSlide Racing
24th May 2013, 10:55 PM
This is a fresh install, the patrol never had a towbar before

PowerSlide Racing
25th May 2013, 08:23 PM
Can someone have a look at where there trailer wireing joins into the loom

PowerSlide Racing
27th May 2013, 12:01 AM
Can you buy a y loom that plugs in to the factory loom like you can get for GU's?