PDA

View Full Version : looking for some ideas for my mq!

Aiden
30th April 2012, 12:32 PM
i have a 1981 swb MQ Nissan patrol, 3.3 n/a diesel, 24 volt. I'm running 33x12.5x15 Cooper muddies on black Sunraysia Rims. I made the custom rear bumper and bullbar and have done a fair bit of work to the car.
Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what else could be done?
i know i still need a snorkel and air lockers would be nice, but expensive.

GQ TANK
30th April 2012, 01:22 PM
Nise truck

It depends on how much $$$$ you have.

Turbo it

50 mm body or suspension lift ( you dont want to make it a cop magnet) - You roof spots may get you attention.
UHF cb
Sliders
Rear work light
Winch
Air bags on the rear springs

the list is endless

Aiden
30th April 2012, 02:10 PM
well i was thinking about putting a turbo on it, but it only has 220 000 km on it, and i figured a turbo would reduce the life expectancy of the engine...
Its got a 50mm body lift. I haven't had to much attention from the cops, luckily.
yea i wouldn't mind sliders!!

cheers for the ideas

GQ TANK
30th April 2012, 07:02 PM
Also consider power steering.

I would try and by a turbo motor

Finly Owner
30th April 2012, 10:15 PM
Aiden, look for a SD33T, as these are the internally strongmotors made for turbos with oilers and extra rings. 2.5"-3' exhuast with Exhuast Gas Temp guage and Boost Guage will be beneficial sothat you can increase your boost slightly.

As well as above additions. Also think about a roof console to put the UHF into.

Tim

Aiden
1st May 2012, 12:07 AM
Is it worth going to a whole new turbo engine, if the one that's in it is still working brilliantly. Is the difference that major? and will i notice it?
How hard is it to mount a roof console??

cheers

Finly Owner
1st May 2012, 09:57 PM
Let me put it this way. If you turbo a single ringed engine it will lessen the life of that engine. People will tell you it's ok you can turbo the SD33 and get away with it. But I strongly suggest you don't do it. Roof console are easy install, new ones come with instructions.

Tim

MQ MAD
2nd May 2012, 07:39 PM
i have a 1981 swb MQ Nissan patrol, 3.3 n/a diesel, 24 volt. I'm running 33x12.5x15 Cooper muddies on black Sunraysia Rims. I made the custom rear bumper and bullbar and have done a fair bit of work to the car.
Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what else could be done?
i know i still need a snorkel and air lockers would be nice, but expensive.

Where to start ???
Throw a 5 speed box in there (if there isnt one already ???)
2" spring lift
Turbo donk , but on the Ks you have itll be years before that one dies (these engines go well well past 500,000Ks, when looked after)
Power steer
Lockers , these can be had for a reasonable price if you look

Really does depemd on , as mentioned how much $$$$ do you wanna spend ???

Steve879
3rd May 2012, 10:04 PM
Drop a Dirty V8 into it and go racing!!! Thats what i do to mine! they are a very tuff car!!!

MQ MAD
4th May 2012, 08:47 AM
Drop a Dirty V8 into it and go racing!!! Thats what i do to mine! they are a very tuff car!!!

Theres a SD33 Turbo in a patrol that puts 400NM of torque at the wheels
Hardly seems worth the effort going to an eight , when you can get that from a 30 year old diesel and get around 10L/100Ks economy to boot

Finly Owner
4th May 2012, 11:02 PM
Theres a SD33 Turbo in a patrol that puts 400NM of torque at the wheels
Hardly seems worth the effort going to an eight , when you can get that from a 30 year old diesel and get around 10L/100Ks economy to bootTell me more Corey!