PDA

View Full Version : Sus head gasket and or head

fat paddy
29th April 2012, 08:31 PM
I have just pulled the head of my 3.0 off (April 2003 110,000km) as the number 4 cyclinder filled with coolant and the engine hydrolocked when I tried to start it.
It all started about 4 weeks ago when I noticed a rough start, I though to myself those glow plugs are on the way out. Last week I noticed steam coming out of the exhaust on start up so I changed my thoughts from glow plugs to gasket or head problems.
I was about to head off to get the engine compression tested but the hydrolocking beat me to it.
Oh and I had to put about 5 litres of water in the radiator about a week and a half ago.
So now I have my engine in bits and will send the head and the gasket into the professionals to be examined tomorrow. This place was recommended to me by my regular mechanic and when I rang the man he was straight onto the problem. He said he has seen heaps of these heads come in either cracked or perferated. I think he used the word $hit to describe them, as in $hithead (boom boom). If his diagnosis is correct after examining the sus head he will suggest replacing the head with a non genuine European one. $1.8k changed over with old valves, cams lifters etc fitted.
I can only imaging that the head gasket kit (grind gasket kit) will have a billion pieces as the manual I used to dismantle the engine suggested replacing heaps of gaskets, o-rings, studs etc.
I will replace the timing chain whilst I'm at it, the thermostat, idler pulley for the drive belt and the drive belt whilst I am at it.
I guess what I am after here is any comments on the proceedure.
I would be happy to take photos of any parts for people too as they are all on the table tennis table at the moment.
All I can say with regards to the strip down is thank goodness for rachet ring spanners and a quality socket set. Sizes required are 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, and 19mm. The drive pulley nut is a 41mm so you will need the big socket set to sort that to turn the motor over. The inlet cam needed a 24mm open ended spanner to hold it whilst you undo the bolt on the front of it.
Fire away people.
FP

Yendor
29th April 2012, 08:58 PM
Hi FP,

Sorry to hear of the bad news, unfortunately your story is all to common with the mighty 3L.

I would have a good look at the head for cracks especially stemming from number 3 glow plug.

You will also need to have a good look at the pistons for cracks.

Hopefully, in your case it is only a head gasket.

fat paddy
29th April 2012, 09:04 PM
Its the number four cylinder that had the coolant in it.
Thanks for the advice about the cracks in the pistons. i will give them a very good going over.
There are no signs of corroding or holes being burnt into the pistons. They look as good as new, but I will go over them with a fine tooth comb.
FP