PDA

View Full Version : Powder coating Nissan Alloys

Rusty86
29th April 2012, 12:16 PM
I'd like to get people's views and opinions on painting the Genuine GUIII 16" Alloys black.

I really like the look of black wheels (more and more common now I know but looks pretty tough I reckon), but am keen to stick to alloys due to weight and strength. I had considered switching to steelies but probably don't need to get rid of a perfectly fine set of alloys. If I did go aftermarket I really liked the matte look of the Procomp alloy rims http://www.procomp.com.au/Default.asp?MenuId=WHEEL_7069, but then realised the stud pattern is wrong for a GU :(

Would it be reletively easy to paint the genuine alloys black? Would having them sand blasted or something then powder coated be the best option for a matte finish.

Has anyone done this before? I'd appreciate your opinions and pics of black steelies or alloys just for comparison sake.

Cheers guys
Rusty

nissannewby
29th April 2012, 03:10 PM
Hey mate have a look at allied wheels they have a huge range of alloys and can custom make a set to your preferred offset the are reasonably priced and load rated for the 4wd industry just jump on their site. If you dont wanna get new wheels then go for it any decent powder coater will let you know if its worth going down that path or not.

MudRunnerTD
29th April 2012, 03:27 PM
Yeah dont worry about the pic in the link they will do whatever offset and whatever stud pattern you want in that wheel. You would get pretty good coin for your issan alloys as there is a market for them and they are getting harder to get.

I can't imagine why you could not powder coat them but you could give them a paint first with Saturn black and see if you like them, see how long the paint lasts (surprisingly well ;) ) and if you see the need down the track they will sandblast the paint off too mate.

Paint them first look good and lasts well.

MEGOMONSTER
9th May 2012, 10:59 PM
I agree I would paint them first even if its just a water based paint to see how it looks , if you dont like it wash it off.

Mojo01
10th May 2012, 04:10 AM
A mate of mine has recently painted his centerline alloys on his drag car and they look awesome, as long as you do the correct prep work paint will be fine, you need to make sure all the polish and grime is off before you paint them. I would say paint over powder coat, much easier to repair any damage with paint

Robo
10th May 2012, 01:44 PM
I don't think you can realy be to sure what to do hear.
If you powder coat em and chip or gutter rash em then wast of money.
Paint will simply fail due to it's a very hi wear area on rims.
But easier and cheaper to repair than p/coat .
you will be told all sorts of things that this rim can fit etc, usually they don't meet specs that won't cause undue wear and tear on your car.
If you are happy with a off set outside oem specs then there is more rims available but you risk accelerated steering componite parts wear.
the aftermarket alloy game will tell you anything can fit, it's simply not true it depends on what your willing to sacrifice.
that's my experience, with trying to remain close to standard spec as possible to keep maintance under control.
cheers.