PDA

View Full Version : Batteries winching and help

mikeyoda
29th April 2012, 10:17 AM
Hi,

I do a hell of a lot of winching. Warn xd 9500 winch
I keep going though batteries every 12 months, I have dual batteries and they are of the n70zz type.
Any recommendations on batteries that may last .
Have tried century and power charge batteries that the auto elec recommended,they weigh a ton, so I thought they would be good and are rated at 760 CCA.

But alias they have died also.

Cheers
Mike

GRA.GU
29th April 2012, 10:56 AM
Mike, you've mentioned the dual batteries, but have you wired the winch to parallel the batteries? The reduced load on each then should enable them to run a normal service life. You do of course need a 200A isolator. I run the Redarc SB1212 wired according to Redarc's recommendation. http://redarc.com.au/handy-hints/wiring-guides/winch-from-both-batteries.

the evil twin
29th April 2012, 02:57 PM
Hi,

Snip...

I do a hell of a lot of winching. Warn xd 9500 winch
I keep going though batteries every 12 months, I have dual batteries and they are of the n70zz type.

Hmmm... as I read it "Hell of a lot of winching" is the key...

1. Hardwire your batteries in parallel if you haven't already (IE no Isolators/relays etc)
2. Recharge the batteries using a decent multistage 240 Volt charger after any trip that involved lots of winching. Your vehicle Alternator (if standard) WILL NOT bring them up to a decent state of charge.
3. When winching rig a snatch block whenever practicable to reduce the load on the winch. Series wound motors use less power at 1/2 the load for twice as long than vice versa
4. Don't know what vehicle you have but use the hand throttle or idle up switch (ZD30) if you have them to get the engine revs up. Your Alternator will not put out anything like it's rated power at idle. The more power from the Alternator, the less battery drain, the less battery drain the less sulphation while it recharges.
5. Keep as short a run of cable to the winch as practicable and conside going up in size on the battery cables
6. The CCA sounds fine but it is how far down you are drawing the batteries that may be an issue so N70's may be too small capacity, try 1 thru 5 first tho.
7. A higher capacity Alternator will def help but is up to you... expensive but 2 X N70's a year is expensive as well

Anyway, try a whatever sounds logical or feasible to you and see how you go

mudski
29th April 2012, 07:11 PM
I would have thought if the OP used deep cycle batt's it would rid the said issue?

bazzad
29th April 2012, 08:00 PM
Yes, Hell of a lot of winching ( sounds like someone i know LOL)

What ET said.
Follow from 1-5 first up and see if it gets better. Use a snatch block, halves the load instantly and saves load on your cables (both steel and electric)
mudski, someone please correct me if i am wrong, but deep cycle batteries are not for winching, you need the high CCA for good load carrying and recovery after the work is done.
bazzad

Yendor
29th April 2012, 08:33 PM
Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forum, when you get a chance post a thread in the introduction section and let us know a bit about yourself and your Patrol.

I agree with most of the post above, you are killing your batteries due to them being under charged.

Without knowing how your dual batteries are setup and what else you run off them or what you use the vehicle for it's a bit hard to recommended how you can overcome this.

The easiest thing that comes to mind is get yourself a smart battery charger such as the CTEX and put the batteries on charge after a hards days winching.

I would also check the charge rate to each battery. Have the engine running at a fast idle and measure the voltage across each battery, both readings should be around 14 volts.

Cheers Rodney

Boomtiki
4th May 2012, 12:22 AM
Awesome tips there & will consider all this when I start my auto electrical nightmare. Cheers.

cambo
4th May 2012, 08:27 PM
Looking at using the two batteries in my setup to power winch , just have to work how to wire it up.