PDA

View Full Version : What guages do you guys use?

mudski
29th April 2012, 01:10 AM
Hi. I have just purchased an 01' GUII with a 60k old 3.0TD. I'm wanting to fit a boost and EGT guage but I want to see what others use before I do the purchase.
I would prefer to have a guage with both in one. Like this one, http://mcnallyelectronics.com/index.htm , but these are in the states.
Other than that maybe I'll get two gauges and hang them off the pillar. Which I don't really want to do.
So what do all the regulars here have?

Thanks.

gregs
29th April 2012, 01:34 AM
Autometer from Rocket Industries. Egt and boost. Only ever installed the boost gauge, but will endeavour to install both in the next one.

Rusty86
29th April 2012, 02:05 AM
x2 Autometer Boost and EGT, 'Sportcomp' I think is the particular model (the black faced ones). Very easy to read day and night and from all accounts Autometer have good accuracy, mine are accurate and responsive. I'd stick with a good/well known brand if possible.

Any particular reason you don't want to have 2 separate gauges in a pillar pod? This would probably be the most common/easiest method.

Cheers,
Rusty

teno45
29th April 2012, 04:30 AM
Have always preferred good names for Important situations myself. VDO or something similar will be my choice, autron gauges look good, if you want two in one.

My Plan when money Appears, vdo egt and boost. Autron dual batts, and oil/ water temp and some sort of tranny temp

Ben-e-boy
29th April 2012, 08:14 AM
Have always preferred good names for Important situations myself. VDO or something similar will be my choice, autron gauges look good, if you want two in one.

My Plan when money Appears, vdo egt and boost. Autron dual batts, and oil/ water temp and some sort of tranny temp

x2 I use vdo,

nissannewby
29th April 2012, 11:03 AM
x3 vdo they are quality

MudRunnerTD
29th April 2012, 11:34 AM
I use VDO in the GQ for both and have a pair of Autometer in the GUIV and like them both. Got to say though that link you put up looks sweet mate! I'd have no hesitation buying straight from the USA.

Go for it, how much are they out of the US?

Ben-e-boy
29th April 2012, 12:48 PM
mudski, the key to a quality gauge is one that is designed for the areonautical applications, as you can imagine a quality instument is crucial when you are thousands of meters in the air. vdo are of such quality.

Bigrig
29th April 2012, 01:12 PM
I have cheap and nasty Chinese ones ... inaccurate no doubt, but they're bright at night!!! lmao

Yep, need to get some VDO gauges - the only one that works a treat is the gearbox temp gauge and it is VDO ...

mudski
29th April 2012, 07:20 PM
Any particular reason you don't want to have 2 separate gauges in a pillar pod? This would probably be the most common/easiest method.

Cheers,
Rusty

I don't really like the idea of having guages hanging off the pillar. It's like seeing those turds with V6 VP Crumpydores with the massive Autometer Tacho and shit light on the dash. Looks "wanky" to me. I'd prefer to have one guage doing both jobs sitting right in front of the cluster...

Got to say though that link you put up looks sweet mate! I'd have no hesitation buying straight from the USA.

Go for it, how much are they out of the US?

BTW, I know VDO are top notch units as I used to sell them a few years ago. I just wanted to see what others are using these days.
Yeah it does look good. But the EGT is in Fahrenheit. I have not emailed them yet to see on prices or if they can do it in Celius...