PDA

View Full Version : Camp Oven Cooking Tips

Gnomes aka Mrs Mudrunner
28th April 2012, 11:44 PM
For Bread
1. Ingredients must be kept warm but not too hot or cold otherwise the yeast will be destroyed.
Yeast is a living organism. The warmth allows it to "work".
2. Too much kneading will cause split crusts.
3. Too little kneading causes holes in the loaf.
4. Too much salt will result in slow rising of the dough.
5. Too little salt will result in the loaf rising too quickly and forming holes in the loaf.
6. Too much yeast and the loaf will have a strong taste.
7. Too little yeast results in a slow rising loaf and a tough one.

Cooking Temperatures - Open Fires
1. If the hand can be held about 18 inches over hot embers for a fast count of 5, the temp is
about 180.C
2. Butter will burn at a little over 150.C
3. Milk will boil at approx 90.C - Boiling point will decrease as the altitude increases
4. Water will boil (at Sea level) - 100.C. Increased altitude that decreases .
5. Fat will burn at temps about 232.C and over. It will start to smoke slightly around the 190.C.

More as they come!!

Tarous
14th August 2012, 06:12 PM
Well these cooking tips are great for me. I was searching this kind of information and you solved my problem. I will keep these tips in my mind and follow these cooking tips. Nice post and keep sharing useful information.

MudRunnerTD
14th August 2012, 06:17 PM
Hey Wom!! Batter Up!!

Next post please!

threedogs
14th August 2012, 06:27 PM
Yeah we always cook a few loaves at camp, even have the proper bread tins,, much better than damper. heres our Egg, bacon and mushroom PIE.

This is my homemade camp oven weighs 32KG but the best oven ever, made from 3/8th x 16" water pipe

Winnie
14th August 2012, 06:35 PM
Remind me to invite you camping!!

threedogs
14th August 2012, 06:50 PM
Don't make bread on windy or cold days, let it prove in the back of your 4b. heres our roasts with all the fixings. Mushroom and garlic gravy
more than welcome to come camping. Wait till you see our Paella

Kristoffa going up the Murray around grand final time if Murray is down, running a banker at the moment

threedogs
14th August 2012, 07:37 PM
Better show you the Paella as well

Stropp
14th August 2012, 09:48 PM
John I am on a road trip lol, looks great!

zd30elgrande
16th October 2012, 08:01 PM
Threedogs
YUM,
Got a road trip in three weeks,
Would love to see that bacon,egg and mushroom pie recipe.
Cheers

2TROLLFAM
16th October 2012, 08:31 PM
UMMM YUMMMM!!!!!!!

Sent from Sharen's iPhone using Tapatalk ....

macca
16th October 2012, 08:48 PM
Better show you the Paella as well

Had a paella in Pamploma and thought whats this shizen, now if they had plated yours...........

threedogs
16th October 2012, 08:59 PM
Paella was a bit over the top compared to normal camps. Always try to out do the last meal.
usually talk like the Clampetts at camp lol. varmits and viddles with all the fixings. Just ordered a new camp oven for next camp
but as most know I'm back to surgeon tomorrow to have some implants removed, then I need to wait again to have them implanted permanently
Anyway back to camp, Make all my own cooking and camp fire grills ,everything realy, not a TA but like making stuff to last

zd30elgrande
6th November 2012, 10:31 AM
That's an awesome setup.

threedogs
6th November 2012, 10:54 AM
A friend of mine who shall remane nameless, but his initials are RON MOON has one of the greatest camp cook books going around, his loverly wife Viv
is a gem around a campfire. Also great tips or storage etc. If you think you know everythng read this you may be astounded what you don't know. Great read
throw it in your tucker box and watch there faces as yoy produce meals liks that egg and bacon PIE.
Viv would have to be one of the best bush cooks going around, no doubt great in a kitchen too

The BigFella
28th December 2012, 11:38 AM
bloody name dropper TD's,,,,,,,,,,,,, good luck to you I say!
If I had mates who were famous Id tattoo their details on my forehead!
Actually, if I had friends Id be extremely lucky,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

The BigFella
28th December 2012, 11:42 AM
we cooked our Christmas Ham in our Bedourie oven christmas day. Was awesome!
Sorry no pics, bugger forgot the pics!
Based with a mixture of Golden Syrup, Old Port, chives, garlic, brushed every 20minutes.
Cooked for 2x hours in the camp oven mate over a low flame (lpg).

The BigFella
28th December 2012, 11:42 AM
cooking our chocolate fruit cake this morning, Im cheating though, Im cooking it in the kitchen oven (electric fan forced)

Scrumptious,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

threedogs
28th December 2012, 02:34 PM
just welded up an awesome camp over lid lifter, hope you got pics big fella, works a treat first go which is a good sign, but cant get pics on here as now have new galaxy phone,

The BigFella
28th December 2012, 03:08 PM
my grand dad had one of those old Galaxy's, Ford side valve from memory,,,,,,,,,,,,

threedogs
28th December 2012, 03:37 PM
Private and confidential post, my proto type worked the first time, This one is large as it need to be for my big camp oven.
This works a treat, I'm wrapt so any feed back would be great.
To say I'm happy with this design is underststment, will be spring loaded. I can hold it side ways, gotta be a winner.
will be down sizing for production ones.
If you want one PM me

threedogs
29th December 2012, 10:40 PM
Bumped: been working on this lid lifter Ive welded a lug onto the lid of my horse over a camp oven, conclusion is easy to use.
Production will be smaller and laser cut. I
ll powder coat them bright yellow
No idea of pricing yet as I need to wait for shops to open again

Drewboyaus
29th December 2012, 11:11 PM
That is a bloody good idea!
Nice one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The BigFella
31st December 2012, 07:38 PM
Dont tell him that, geez. He'llget a swelled head.