PDA

View Full Version : Dutch Oven Bread with Semi Dried Tomato & Pumpkin Seed - Cooked at Loveday SA Easter

Gnomes aka Mrs Mudrunner
28th April 2012, 11:15 PM
I use a 9 Quart- 5.4Ltr

Ingredients

Yeast Mixture

1 pint warm water – Roughly 500ml
2 Tbsp Sugar
2 x 15g Sachets of yeast.
½ Cup chopped Semi Dried Tomato
½ Cup Pumpkin Seeds

Flour Mix

Half a Camp Oven of Plain Flour
1 Tsp Salt
2 Tbsp Milk Powder

Make the yeast mix first – It needs to sit for approx. 20mins to “erupt”.
Add the yeast mix to the Flour mix. Combine until it forms a firm dough, adding more flour or water if required. Knead the dough by turning it out onto a floured surface and pressing knuckles firmly into it. Do this for a good 5 mins

Grease the Camp Oven & Lid. Very Important!

Place the dough into the greased Camp Oven and allow it to rise in a warm place until mixture is about 1 inch from the top of the camp oven.

Be careful not bump the mix while it is rising as it may need to be kneaded again.

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y370/NaomiWT/photo.jpg

Once it’s risen place the Camp oven onto some hot coals and also spread hot coals onto the lid.
If you can hang the camp oven above the hot coals that will be better because then the base of the bread won’t burn or be a really thick crust.

Leave it for about an hour.

To check if the loaf is cooked – Tap the top of the bread, it should sound hollow. You can insert a thin clean stick or a knife into the middle-if it comes out clean, it’s cooked.

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y370/NaomiWT/photo-1.jpg

MudRunnerTD
28th April 2012, 11:23 PM
And straight out of the oven today I spread home made butter on a piece of crusty side still steaming hot! OMG!!!

Second piece had peanut butter on it...... Oh Yeah!!!

Woof
28th April 2012, 11:23 PM
Sounds great Mrs Mudrunner, Sorry Gnomes...any photos??

MudRunnerTD
28th April 2012, 11:25 PM
Photos up!! Yummo!

Woof
28th April 2012, 11:27 PM
Oh yeah, I just want one

AB
28th April 2012, 11:27 PM
Very nice Gnomes, thanks for this!

I'll get back to this one when I'm giving it a go next weekend for sure!

Clunk
28th April 2012, 11:33 PM
mmmmmmmmmmm doughnuts!!!!!!! arrrgggghhhhhhhh

damn that looks tasty, can you post some over, I don't have a camp oven????!!!!! lol

Airstrike
28th April 2012, 11:43 PM
Holy crap that looks yummy lol

Bigrig
28th April 2012, 11:52 PM
Just printed a copy for my missus to have a lash at tomorrow ... looks awesome!!

Thanks a million!!!

Gnomes aka Mrs Mudrunner
29th April 2012, 10:34 AM
Clunk71 I think it might get taxed on the way out the door or go Postal along the way!

Next I'll have a crack at it without the yeast but with beer - Everyone has beer when they go camping right!!

Bigrig
29th April 2012, 11:09 AM
Next I'll have a crack at it without the yeast but with beer - Everyone has beer when they go camping right!!

Correct!! lol

Clunk
29th April 2012, 11:12 AM
Clunk71 I think it might get taxed on the way out the door or go Postal along the way!

thats code for ...MR will not let that go out the front door right!!!!???/ lol

BoojaBear
7th June 2013, 12:09 AM
Sounds great, going to try this on next trip

gmoneeeee
14th June 2013, 03:23 AM
just bought my first dutch oven the other day. excited to try this.