PDA

View Full Version : Y61 Electrical Niggles

piripi
28th April 2012, 06:40 PM
Hi guys

I am having a few electrical problems with my Y61 patrol ute, running the 4.2 diesel.

It seems to consistently blow the fuses for the tail lights, the park lights and the dashboard lights. It was traced to a rusty plug for one of the headlights, this was replaced but it blew again as soon as I used the headlights.

My auto electrician is the best I can find in South Sudan is trying his damnest to trace it, any ideas? I can hear a relay clicking two or three times on startup but the electrican assures me this is normal and is the relay for the glow plugs. What do you guys think?

The car is standard, is wired up for a winch but no winch present currently.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Bigrig
28th April 2012, 06:53 PM
Do you have a trailer plug mate?? Get him to check that wiring if you do, as mine was dodgy and was blowing my fuses a little while ago also.

04OFF
28th April 2012, 06:55 PM
The Ferret reminded me of one the other day, have you had a aftermarket radio fitted recently ?

GUtsy ute
28th April 2012, 06:58 PM
Try disconnecting each light one at a time and turning all the others on.
If you don't find anything wrong with any of the lights, carefully check the
wiring harness as the ute ones are exposed and more prone to damage
from rocks,sticks etc.
You may have done these things already so my only other suggestion is look at your
light switch and column wiring.It is blowing all the light fuses and this is where they are all
controlled from.

X2 on Bigrigs suggestion of the trailer plug.

piripi
28th April 2012, 07:12 PM
Thanks guys all good advice.... No trailer plug present, has an aftermarket radio but has been present for a while and I've rechecked all those connections. Will check the harness itself though - I am suspecting the actual switch to be honest.

Does anyone know whether the relay noise from the alleged glowplug relay is normal on startup?

Yendor
29th April 2012, 09:46 PM
Being a ute, I would have a good look at the main wire harness that runs down the chassis to each tail for any signs of damage, also have a good look at the wires that run to the number plate light.

Does you winch bar have park lights fitted? If so, try disconnecting these where they connect into the original vehicle harness. Possible behind the radiator support panel, near the headlight plugs.

Yes the glow plug relay noise sounds normal.