PDA

View Full Version : My Tuf 4.2 Gu

Dark 1
28th September 2010, 06:52 PM
A few photos of my 99 gu. It's a Td42t with a denco turbo upgrade, 3 inch exhaust, 4 inch lift, factory bar [soon to go], 12000 winch, long range tanks, outback drawers, roof rack, hannabil roof topper & few other little goodies .

AB
28th September 2010, 07:41 PM
Great shots mate!

Dark 1
28th September 2010, 10:49 PM
A couple more from the cape.

Russell1974
28th September 2010, 11:26 PM
Hey mate great pics looks like you had some fun

patch697
29th September 2010, 12:12 PM
Nice work mate.

Glad to see you enjoy your Patrol in the way thay were intended.

Dark 1
29th September 2010, 06:50 PM
Yeh mate was fun , a little different to what we expected but still good fun. We did a trip this year out to alice down to dalhousie to coober pedy-maree-birdsville track to birdsville-haddon corner-bore track to cameron corner & home. [8660 klms, 23 days, 3 ruined tyres & 1 engine mount] Was one hell of a trip & loved every minute of it. A couple more photos from this trip.

Woof
29th September 2010, 07:17 PM
Great photos there, I've got a chance to do the Cape next year with a film crew but it is a long way from here and would probably cost at least 10K, so maybe not.
So good to see that you do get out and enjoy your Patrol and this great country of ours, well done.

msports180
30th September 2010, 05:49 PM
Nice photo's and Nice Patrol.

Dark 1
30th September 2010, 06:04 PM
Nice photo's and Nice Patrol.

Thanks mate. Yeh i am pretty proud of it & love where she takes me.

Kelvin.

Dark 1
17th November 2010, 06:53 PM
Some new photos with my new wheels & Maxxis tyres, new rooftop tent & modified roofrack with 4 Lf 170's.

Yeeha!!

AB
17th November 2010, 07:53 PM
Looking awesome mate, very nicely set up now!

Dark 1
17th November 2010, 09:40 PM
Looking awesome mate, very nicely set up now!

Thanks "AB" ,really happy with the new rims [cheap as to] & love how the rack turned out. No longer scared of the dark!

Kelvin.

RustyNails
18th November 2010, 04:44 PM
Looking good Kel, not too sure about the rims though, might look better when its no so shinny.

Paul

Bloggsy
18th November 2010, 06:00 PM
Very nice mate :bigthumbup:

Dark 1
18th November 2010, 09:35 PM
Looking good Kel, not too sure about the rims though, might look better when its no so shinny.

Paul

There supposed to be shiny ,[THERE BRAND NEW], got them dirty today though. We had quite a bit of rain today & some localized flooding. One of the guys at work got stuck on a site so had to go in with the trol & cross a near 1meter raging causeway to get him & the apprentice out. Bit touch & go but the mighty gu pulled through. Hopefully we can go in tomorrow & pull the ute out.

Kelvin.

Woof
18th November 2010, 09:40 PM
There supposed to be shiny ,[THERE BRAND NEW], got them dirty today though. We had quite a bit of rain today & some localized flooding. One of the guys at work got stuck on a site so had to go in with the trol & cross a near 1meter raging causeway to get him & the apprentice out. Bit touch & go but the mighty gu pulled through. Hopefully we can go in tomorrow & pull the ute out.

Kelvin.

Hey Kelvin, if you get stuck as well, just let me know and my Mighty GQ will be there and pull you both out at the same time matehttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/
Love your GU mate, looks great with the new rims.http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/

Dark 1
21st November 2010, 10:30 AM
A couple of older photos.

Bigrig
21st November 2010, 12:23 PM
Hey mate - I like it, I love it, I want more of it !!!!! LOL ... I'll be sure to PM next year when I'm heading up north with the family and another mate to do the cape - be good if you could throw me some tips (like, where's the cheapest beer, who has the most beers on tap, who provides coolers with every stubby - I love that, etc etc LOL). Top shots and looks like one "Tuf 42" GU ...

Dark 1
21st November 2010, 03:52 PM
Yeh mate ,it's all about the beer [nectar of the gods]. Love to catch up & give ya some pointers.

Bigrig
21st November 2010, 09:32 PM
I'll be sure to throw you a PM then with the details closer to the time - appreciate the offer mate.

Russell1974
23rd November 2010, 11:38 PM
lookin better and better there mate

Dark 1
5th December 2010, 08:45 PM
Finally got a couple of sunny days so gave her a detail.

Woof
5th December 2010, 08:46 PM
Very nice Kelvin, look too good to take off road now mate..

NissanGQ4.2
5th December 2010, 08:47 PM
Don't know what Sunny days are, but looking very nice

Dark 1
5th December 2010, 08:49 PM
Here's some interior shots.

Dark 1
5th December 2010, 08:55 PM
My home made rear drop down table

Bigrig
5th December 2010, 08:59 PM
Top looking rig mate with a great setup ... oh ... and very pretty also!!!! lol

YNOT
5th December 2010, 09:07 PM
Top looking rig mate with a great setup ... oh ... and very pretty also!!!! lol

What he said!

Tony

Finly Owner
6th December 2010, 12:47 AM
Can see you have put some time and money not to mention thought into your set up. Looks the goods, and sure many people would strive for what you have acheived. Very tidy and convenient.
Tim

DX grunt
6th December 2010, 09:15 AM
Very nice Kelvin.

Comments about rooftop tent servicability/meeting your needs would be nice too.

Ross

Dark 1
6th December 2010, 05:24 PM
Can see you have put some time and money not to mention thought into your set up. Looks the goods, and sure many people would strive for what you have acheived. Very tidy and convenient.
Tim

Thanks for the kind words mate, i'm pretty proud of it.

Kelvin.

Dark 1
6th December 2010, 06:07 PM
Very nice Kelvin.

Comments about rooftop tent servicability/meeting your needs would be nice too.

Ross

The current rooftoper is a Hannabil & have to say love it! The only draw back i can see with the rooftop tent is that you have to pull down the tent if you want to go for a drive around. We are just careful about setting up to early. Usually we do & see all we need to before setting up. Being up high it's quite cool & breezy in summer & when you close up all the windows the warmth seems to stay in at winter. Setup takes about 10 minutes with the awning & pull down a tiny bit longer. Have had a Opensky & Red Centa as well. Opensky was just a bit small & the Red Centa not the best quality, Hannabil is only a few months old but already can say no substitute for quality. You might pay for it but much better in the long run.
Hope this sheds some light on the rooftop subject for ya Dx.

Kelvin.

Dark 1
6th December 2010, 10:54 PM
Some shots of the led interior lights & the rear led camplight.
Lights are from a mate of mine, ASL Lights.

Kelvin.

Woof
6th December 2010, 11:33 PM
A credit to you Kelvin, very nice Patrol there mate.....................I Just Want Onehttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/

Dark 1
24th December 2010, 10:49 AM
A couple of the led rear work light.

Almost Dun
1st January 2011, 04:22 PM
A credit to you Kelvin, very nice Patrol there mate.....................I Just Want Onehttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/

Of course you do doggy , its a mighty GU

GQ UTE
1st January 2011, 07:55 PM
Mate that rear work light is exactly what im looking for!
Where abouts did you get it from?
And roughly how much if you dont mind me asking?
Cheers

Sir Roofy
1st January 2011, 10:12 PM
what a credit to you kelvin a very well thought out MIGHTY GU PATROL

CHEERS ROOFY

Dark 1
2nd January 2011, 06:36 PM
what a credit to you kelvin a very well thought out MIGHTY GU PATROL

CHEERS ROOFY

Cheers Roofy , yeh i do like it.
Future mods are as follows :Intercooler ,modified airbox lid, possible turbo swap, new tube style front bar, rear bar with carriers ,front locker & air on board system.

Kelvin.

Dark 1
2nd January 2011, 06:42 PM
Mate that rear work light is exactly what im looking for!
Where abouts did you get it from?
And roughly how much if you dont mind me asking?
Cheers

All led lights are from a mate of mine, his website is asllights.com.au. I will be setting up a vendor thread soon selling his wares so you can go direct to John or wait a few weeks for me to set everything up. If you go direct please let him know you saw it on the forum.

Kelvin.

Dark 1
8th February 2011, 12:00 AM
Need some help, got a bit of a dilema. Was thinking of changing the front bar to a xrox tube bar [like muzza's] but then i can't fit side rails to the bar & slider.
So my question is, 1-should i leave the oem bar on & fit 2x hid lf genesis & sliders with siderails to it OR
2-change it to an xrox with 2x 140 hid lf's & a led light bar & then a seperate set of sliders.

Help needed PLEASE.

Bigrig
8th February 2011, 12:06 AM
Need some help, got a bit of a dilema. Was thinking of changing the front bar to a xrox tube bar [like muzza's] but then i can't fit side rails to the bar & slider.
So my question is, 1-should i leave the oem bar on & fit 2x hid lf genesis & sliders with siderails to it OR
2-change it to an xrox with 2x 140 hid lf's & a led light bar & then a seperate set of sliders.

Help needed PLEASE.

Buy both to try and whatever you go with ... I'll have the other set!!!! LOL!!!

Dark 1
8th February 2011, 12:14 AM
Buy both to try and whatever you go with ... I'll have the other set!!!! LOL!!!

Nice try mate, i think the missus might buck at that one. Now really looking for help.

nowoolies
8th February 2011, 12:28 AM
what a rig fanfriggingtastic
now just gotta get mine half way to yours
nowoolies Paul

YNOT
8th February 2011, 06:59 AM
Have you considered a Millweld bar instead of the XROX? You would still need the smaller lights but will be able to fit scrub bars.

Tony

Dark 1
8th February 2011, 01:29 PM
what a rig fanfriggingtastic
now just gotta get mine half way to yours
nowoolies Paul
Thanks paul , what do ya reckon new front tube bar & seperate sliders or keep the bar i got & add side bars with sliders to it.

Dark 1
8th February 2011, 01:33 PM
Have you considered a Millweld bar instead of the XROX? You would still need the smaller lights but will be able to fit scrub bars.

Tony

That does look good but i do really realy like the xrox bar & have priced some stuff from millweld & thought they are bit over priced but thanks for the resaerch tony might have to think about millweld a bit more.

MudRunnerTD
9th February 2011, 09:39 AM
Hey Kelvin, nice looking GU mate.

It looks like an awesome tourer mate.

I reckon the nissan bar helps it present like a quality tourer and the side bars and step combo will add to a classy looking unit for sure mate. Changing to an XroX or Millweld bar will completely change the presentation of the car. I like the tube stuff but i reckon yours looks great in the direction you have already taken it mate. and well match with the new wheels.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1154&d=1291540337

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=849&d=1289978520

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2175&d=1297106962

Sir Roofy
9th February 2011, 09:52 AM
Hi kelvin ive seen that you have your solar panel on the roof and your batteries in the box
where did you decide to run the wires to your fridge have you gone thru the roof or some other panel
i had a panel on my old lux with the batteries in the tub and wanted to do simular to yours

roofy

YNOT
9th February 2011, 02:47 PM
That does look good but i do really realy like the xrox bar & have priced some stuff from millweld & thought they are bit over priced but thanks for the resaerch tony might have to think about millweld a bit more.

You already have a steel winch bar on the front, why not put the money towards a steel bar for the back instead? (it looks from the photos above like you still have the standard plastic back bumper). The steel rear bars can be made with twin pivots for mounting 2 spare wheels which will take the spare off the back door.

Tony

Dark 1
9th February 2011, 05:53 PM
You already have a steel winch bar on the front, why not put the money towards a steel bar for the back instead? (it looks from the photos above like you still have the standard plastic back bumper). The steel rear bars can be made with twin pivots for mounting 2 spare wheels which will take the spare off the back door.

Tony

Yeh Tony i will be getting a rear bar with twin carriers in the not to distant future. I think it might be more fesable to leave the oem bar & add side rails & steps to it. I then should be able to afford the rear bar & other goodies earlier.

Dark 1
9th February 2011, 05:59 PM
Hey Kelvin, nice looking GU mate.

It looks like an awesome tourer mate.

I reckon the nissan bar helps it present like a quality tourer and the side bars and step combo will add to a classy looking unit for sure mate. Changing to an XroX or Millweld bar will completely change the presentation of the car. I like the tube stuff but i reckon yours looks great in the direction you have already taken it mate. and well match with the new wheels.

Thanks MR i think your right i should just add to that bar & spend the money elsewhere.

Dark 1
9th February 2011, 06:23 PM
Hi kelvin ive seen that you have your solar panel on the roof and your batteries in the box
where did you decide to run the wires to your fridge have you gone thru the roof or some other panel
i had a panel on my old lux with the batteries in the tub and wanted to do simular to yours

roofy

Hi mate, the panel is on the roof & the cable goes down the back inside the rear door cavity. The box on the roof is only a storage box for the tent annexe, annexe floor & our clothes when we travel. There is also a control panel in there for the roof lights, tent & camp led lights. Solar reg is mounted inside the car on the cargo barrier. I've put some photos of the solar system on Rossco's portable fridge thread in general chat. I take more detailed photos if you require more.

Sir Roofy
9th February 2011, 10:08 PM
Many thanks for your imput kelvin
yes would like to to see a bit more if you have time
especially the back door cavity
there are some very talented blokes on here
like your self that are willing to share
much appriciated

roofy

Dark 1
10th February 2011, 07:26 PM
Here you go Roofy.
Photo 1,2 & 3; solar panel mounted to roof box with stainless hinges at front & latches at back
Photo 4; control panel in box for roof & tent/camp lights
Photo 5; 20 amp steca solar regulator
Photo 6; cables going up the back of the snorkel run power & hi/lo switch to roof box control panel
Photo 7 & 8; cables for solar down the back door.

vrod
10th February 2011, 10:26 PM
looks good mate. great set up!

AB
10th February 2011, 10:28 PM
That's very neat Kelvin!!!

Good pics!

Sir Roofy
10th February 2011, 11:28 PM
thanks kelvin very neat unit thanks for taking the time to do this storing it for future job

patch697
10th February 2011, 11:33 PM
I can see why Bigrig raves about your Rig so much....

Bloody bute setup & you've given me more than a few ideas on how to spend even more money.....lololol

Dark 1
10th February 2011, 11:45 PM
Placed an order for the scrub/step bars today. Going to pay it off over next couple of months. Finally starting the mods for the new year, now the list starts to grow.

Dark 1
13th February 2011, 11:08 AM
Thought i'd try to list the current mods on my Gu.
Here goes; custom alloy roof rack'
hannibal roof top tent, 180 amp dual battery system,
space case roof box with 80 watt solar panel mounted to it,
ipf 900 spots on bar,
oem snorkel, twin lra long range tanks,
out back roof console, 4inch lift with tjm gold shocks,
double din in dash dvd, ipod controller, open sky awning off rack,
Amp & 150 watt speakers, 3 inch straight through exhaust,
icom 400 pro uhf, denco turbo upgrade,
led interior lights,
canvas seat covers,
turbo timer,
cruise control,
false floor where rear seats usually are,
outback draws in back,
52 ltr outback water tank,
black widow rear shelf & divider,
nasa bm1 battery brains unit,
oem bull bar,
4 x lf170's on roof rack,
tjm ox 12000lb winch,
helton heat exchanger with 7lpm johnson pump,
tyrrant alloy wheels,
maxxis bighorns,

Bigrig
13th February 2011, 11:35 AM
Thought i'd try to list the current mods on my Gu.
Here goes; custom alloy roof rack'
hannibal roof top tent, 180 amp dual battery system,
space case roof box with 80 watt solar panel mounted to it, ipf 900 spots on bar,
oem snorkel, twin lra long range tanks,
out back roof console, 4inch lift with tjm gold shocks,
double din in dash dvd, ipod controller, open sky awning off rack,
Amp & 150 watt speakers, 3 inch straight through exhaust,
icom 400 pro uhf, denco turbo upgrade,
led interior lights,
canvas seat covers,
turbo timer,
cruise control,
false floor where rear seats usually are,
outback draws in back,
52 ltr outback water tank,
black widow rear shelf & divider,
nasa bm1 battery brains unit,
oem bull bar,
4 x lf170's on roof rack,
tjm ox 12000lb winch,
helton heat exchanger with 7lpm johnson pump,

Show off!!! LoL

big_fletch
13th February 2011, 12:44 PM
You have one very well setup and capable patrol there mate, Definetly looks the goods
i always try to keep an eye on this thread, gives me ideas for mine haha

Fletcha

Dark 1
13th February 2011, 05:32 PM
Show off!!! LoL

I didn't really think the list was gonna be that long when i started, problem is the wish list isn't much smaller.

big_fletch
13th February 2011, 06:46 PM
I didn't really think the list was gonna be that long when i started, problem is the wish list isn't much smaller.

It's a good life isn't it,
I wonder if we will ever finish the wish list???

Bigrig
13th February 2011, 07:08 PM

Did I mention I love your rig?? Seeing it first hand, it lived up to every expectation!!

Dark 1
13th February 2011, 09:14 PM
Did I mention I love your rig?? Seeing it first hand, it lived up to every expectation!!

Do i need to add an alarm to that list Scotty?..........Are you guys still doing the cape this year.

Dark 1
6th March 2011, 10:44 AM
With all the talk about drop down tables & kitchens i thought i'd post some photos of our kitchen setup. It's a Drifta Car Back unit, we store it in the back on the fridge slide. The wife had to have red laminex & red plates & cutlery so as to match the red car. lol.

nowoolies
6th March 2011, 10:55 AM
Thanks paul , what do ya reckon new front tube bar & seperate sliders or keep the bar i got & add side bars with sliders to it.

keep the bar you have, ...........more to spend on the next trip

hekarewe
6th March 2011, 11:09 AM
Some new photos with my new wheels & Maxxis tyres, new rooftop tent & modified roofrack with 4 Lf 170's.

Yeeha!!

that is one nice looking rig you gotchya there,,,,, just i thing it looks abit too clean don't it lol

Dark 1
6th March 2011, 12:03 PM
that is one nice looking rig you gotchya there,,,,, just i thing it looks abit too clean don't it lol

Doesn't always stay that clean tho.

Working on a air on-board system at the moment will post some pics when completed.

nowoolies
6th March 2011, 12:39 PM
and we wonder where our fuel economy go`s lmao

Dark 1
10th March 2011, 10:42 PM
For anyone interested i'm thinking of listing the mighty GU for sale on carsales, so if there's interest before hand pm me & i'll reply with price & sale conditions. Car will not be sold with roofrack & rooftent. Also will be removing solar reg & false floor in the back.
Don't worry i'm only moving it to buy a newer one.

Woof
10th March 2011, 10:48 PM
For anyone interested i'm thinking of listing the mighty GU for sale on carsales, so if there's interest before hand pm me & i'll reply with price & sale conditions. Car will not be sold with roofrack & rooftent. Also will be removing solar reg & false floor in the back.

A 3.0 CRD or another 4.2 mate?

Dark 1
10th March 2011, 11:12 PM
A 3.0 CRD or another 4.2 mate?

Uuummm a v8 converted series 2 or 3. [petrol or deisel]

Bigrig
10th March 2011, 11:35 PM

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh well, good luck with it!! LOL!!

For those interested, I've seen it in the flesh (the rig ... Not Kelvin ... He was covered!! lol) and it is a top setup from go to whoah!

Dark 1
14th March 2011, 11:35 PM
Got talking to guy from "Patrolapart" today at the vic caravan show & he tells me they've developed a ultra hi-flo water pump for the gu td42t motor & also in the middle of a modification to emission control box which will give better power & economy. He also said that they are running a new matched turbo & intercooler kit that can comfortably run 18 psi boost & produce real low down useable grunt, SSOOOOO------ my truck will no longer be up for sale as we will be getting these upgrades done once they are finished their developement.
Good News I reckon, i reeeaaallyy didn't want to get rid of my old girl [truck either]

Bigrig
14th March 2011, 11:39 PM
Got talking to guy from "Patrolapart" today at the vic caravan show & he tells me they've developed a ultra hi-flo water pump for the gu td42t motor & also in the middle of a modification to emission control box which will give better power & economy. He also said that they are running a new matched turbo & intercooler kit that can comfortably run 18 psi boost & produce real low down useable grunt, SSOOOOO------ my truck will no longer be up for sale as we will be getting these upgrades done once they are finished their developement.
Good News I reckon, i reeeaaallyy didn't want to get rid of my old girl [truck either]

Nice break mate!!! Right place, right time!! 18 PSI is getting up there ...

Dark 1
14th March 2011, 11:45 PM
Nice break mate!!! Right place, right time!! 18 PSI is getting up there ...

Yeh i know i'll want to know it's been well tested.

big_fletch
14th March 2011, 11:48 PM

That is great news mate, that should make your 4.2 into a machine.. wish I could get some power and torque like that out of my 3.0 lol

Bigrig
14th March 2011, 11:49 PM
Yeh i know i'll want to know it's been well tested.

Be nice if there was something out there to spice up the petrol - outside of a $4000 supercharger addition I mean!! LOL

Dark 1
14th March 2011, 11:52 PM
Be nice if there was something out there to spice up the petrol - outside of a $4000 supercharger addition I mean!! LOL

uuuummmm.............. V8 ----grrrrrr lol

Bigrig
14th March 2011, 11:54 PM
uuuummmm.............. V8 ----grrrrrr lol

There is that ... true! LOL - 5.7 litres of it!!

big_fletch
14th March 2011, 11:56 PM
There is that ... true! LOL - 5.7 litres of it!!

Just do that mate, and then put a supercharger on it... plenty of power at the right foot then Hahahaha

Bigrig
15th March 2011, 12:00 AM
Just do that mate, and then put a supercharger on it... plenty of power at the right foot then Hahahaha

Just the engine mate!! Derek is going to work it pretty hard on the build, so it should be thumping out a bit more than standard anyway ..

Dark 1
15th March 2011, 12:03 AM
So your rebuilding your 4.2 now are you.

Bigrig
15th March 2011, 12:05 AM
So your rebuilding your 4.2 now are you.

No sir, LS1 crate motor that is going to have some "tweaks" ...

Dark 1
15th March 2011, 12:12 AM
No sir, LS1 crate motor that is going to have some "tweaks" ...

Vvvvveeerrryyyyy jealous now. Don't want to talk to you any longer !............................................

Roflol----- Good on ya bud she'll be a weapon then.

Bigrig
15th March 2011, 12:13 AM
Vvvvveeerrryyyyy jealous now. Don't want to talk to you any longer !............................................

Roflol----- Good on ya bud she'll be a weapon then.

Thanks mate. That's the plan ... Plenty of grunt, locker in the front, reduction gears ... oh yeah!!

Dark 1
15th March 2011, 12:18 AM
Ggggrr--rrroooofffff----rroooooffff---rrooff.

Sorry mate just had to clear my throat .....Ba#*stad !

Bigrig
15th March 2011, 12:21 AM
Ggggrr--rrroooofffff----rroooooffff---rrooff.

Sorry mate just had to clear my throat .....Ba#*stad !

It'll still be a long way off your rig mate ...

Dark 1
15th March 2011, 12:24 AM
AHRGH your to kind mate, anyway off to nigh nights.
Catch up with ya later bud.

Bigrig
15th March 2011, 12:27 AM
AHRGH your to kind mate, anyway off to nigh nights.
Catch up with ya later bud.

Seeya champion.

growler2058
15th March 2011, 02:59 PM
Nice foters of ur troll takin a paddle up the cape mate.

Dark 1
15th March 2011, 08:42 PM
Nice foters of ur troll takin a paddle up the cape mate.

Thanx mate was a top trip.

Dark 1
27th March 2011, 09:44 PM
A couple of random shots.

Woof
27th March 2011, 09:47 PM
Great photos there Kelvin, really like the last one mate, mud glorious mud..

Dark 1
27th March 2011, 09:51 PM
Thanks Doggy.

AB
28th March 2011, 11:32 AM
Nice photos mate, like the camper set ups too...

Dhuck
28th March 2011, 11:34 AM
It's hard to believe that it actually gets dirty Kelvin. It was so pretty and clean around at Scott's place. Good work mate

Bigrig
28th March 2011, 04:41 PM
What can I say that hasn't already been said? Great unit, great setup, and seriously 'pretty'!!! LOL

big_fletch
28th March 2011, 06:15 PM
Great photo's there Kelvin, that camper setup looks tops

Dark 1
28th March 2011, 06:24 PM
Great photo's there Kelvin, that camper setup looks tops
Yeh thanks mate love the roof topper wouldn't camp any other way. [EXCEPT WHEN THE CARAVAN TURNS UP]

Bigrig
28th March 2011, 06:44 PM
Yeh thanks mate love the roof topper wouldn't camp any other way. [EXCEPT WHEN THE CARAVAN TURNS UP]

When does the elevator go in? ;) ...

big_fletch
28th March 2011, 07:15 PM
When does the elevator go in? ;) ...

What are you talking about, he wont need a elevator to get into his caravan lol

Dark 1
28th March 2011, 07:44 PM
Thanks Fletch, i don't know what that scotty's talking about. Too much of that golden liguid me thinks.

Bigrig
28th March 2011, 07:45 PM
What are you talking about, he wont need a elevator to get into his caravan lol

True ... so how about an escalator then?? LOL

big_fletch
28th March 2011, 07:50 PM
True ... so how about an escalator then?? LOL

Haha i think you will find that it has stairs, they just dont move lol..
Just to see your point of view though mate, just gonna have another read after i have finished this 6pack LMFAO

Bigrig
28th March 2011, 07:55 PM
Haha i think you will find that it has stairs, they just dont move lol..
Just to see your point of view though mate, just gonna have another read after i have finished this 6pack LMFAO

LOL!!! Do just that boss - then you'll be with me!!! Can't see the point in spending your hard earned only to have to use your own legs!! lol

big_fletch
28th March 2011, 08:00 PM
LOL!!! Do just that boss - then you'll be with me!!! Can't see the point in spending your hard earned only to have to use your own legs!! lol

Haha too right mate :cheers:.... I cant wait to see the photo of the new van behind Kelvin's patrol, Will look s@!t Hot lol

Dark 1
28th March 2011, 08:00 PM

Pearla Fletch.

big_fletch
28th March 2011, 08:09 PM
Pearla Fletch.

Thanks mate, just gotta cover all sides LOL

wildgu6
31st March 2011, 09:04 PM
Top stuff mate, tough lookin beast could get lost out bush for eons. Love the camper, brilliant idea.
Great shots too buddy, love it love it love it. Good work

Bigrig
31st March 2011, 10:30 PM
Haha too right mate :cheers:.... I cant wait to see the photo of the new van behind Kelvin's patrol, Will look s@!t Hot lol

Too right - what an awesome unit ...

Dark 1
31st March 2011, 11:35 PM
She'll look even better now i've got the Harris Hardcase coming, chrome silver forum sticker, new edition HID roof lights, led lightbar on the bullbar & finish off the air on board system. So great to take a break from working on the house & get some mods goin again. YEE HA.

DX grunt
1st April 2011, 01:04 AM
Great looking truck. Can't wait to see the mods.

Well done, Kelvin.

Ross

Clunk
1st April 2011, 01:58 AM
very much looking forward to seeing how all this goes, can't wait mate

Dark 1
9th April 2011, 03:29 PM
Well after 6 months & close to $3000 i've finally fixed my steering wobble/shimmy. Good mate spent a couple of hours with me going through the whole frontend & we found a number of small problems which once all repaired add up to fixing the problem. We found that drivers side wheel bearing was a little loose, wheel alignment out a small ammount [after 2 paid wheel alignments in under 5000klms], steering box needed 1/4 turn adjustment & drivers side tyre was a little out of round [only a little so swapped it with rear]. The end result is amazing , i can't remember when the steering didn't wobble even a little but now she's perrrrrrfect. Kable your a legend, Thanks muchly bud.

On another note got some new shots taken of some small mods;
return to centre steering damper
new nissan patrol forum sticker [thanks alot hilltophood i'm rapt with it]
black widow cargo barrier tidy bag [amazing what you can fit in it]

Bigrig
9th April 2011, 03:48 PM
Well after 6 months & close to $3000 i've finally fixed my steering wobble/shimmy. Good mate spent a couple of hours with me going through the whole frontend & we found a number of small problems which once all repaired add up to fixing the problem. We found that drivers side wheel bearing was a little loose, wheel alignment out a small ammount [after 2 paid wheel alignments in under 5000klms], steering box needed 1/4 turn adjustment & drivers side tyre was a little out of round [only a little so swapped it with rear]. The end result is amazing , i can't remember when the steering didn't wobble even a little but now she's perrrrrrfect. Kable your a legend, Thanks muchly bud.

On another note got some new shots taken of some small mods;
return to centre steering damper
new nissan patrol forum sticker [thanks alot hilltophood i'm rapt with it]
black widow cargo barrier tidy bag [amazing what you can fit in it]

Glad you finally sorted it mate!!!

big_fletch
9th April 2011, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the updates Kelvin, sticker looks tops mate..
I wish i had the time to get my wobble fixed lol

Dark 1
9th April 2011, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the updates Kelvin, sticker looks tops mate..
I wish i had the time to get my wobble fixed lol

Absolutely rapt how it's driving now, starting to get back to that point where i'm really enjoying driving it.

GUtsy ute
9th April 2011, 09:09 PM
Hi Kelvin,
I just came across this thread, and have to say what a fantastic rig you have.
Looking over it, I can see the work you have put into it and you deserve every bit of praise given.
I like the pics too!
Would love to see it in the flesh like Big Rig did.
Keep the mods and pics coming,
Cheers Gavin

Dark 1
10th April 2011, 12:33 AM
Hi Kelvin,
I just came across this thread, and have to say what a fantastic rig you have.
Would love to see it in the flesh like Big Rig did.
Keep the mods and pics coming,
Cheers Gavin

No worries mate will hit you up next time i'm down your way.

Dark 1
16th April 2011, 04:42 PM
Replaced the rear door trims with powdercoated aluminium ones, colour match came up pretty good & being 5mm thick ally plate there bloody strong & suprisingly light.

Sir Roofy
16th April 2011, 04:57 PM
Just gets better all the time mate ,wish list must be getting smaller

Dark 1
16th April 2011, 05:06 PM
Wifey now wants me to get the interior door trims done in leather, she hates the poxy light grey veluor.
Here's the thing about wish lists, they just never seem to get shorter, you keep finding something else to mod or change.

Sir Roofy
16th April 2011, 05:07 PM
Your wright if wifey likes it your home and hosed

AB
16th April 2011, 05:21 PM
Very neat mate, well done...5mm ally is a good choice!

Bacho86
16th April 2011, 09:18 PM
Just came across this thread, fantastic read - absolutely awesome rig! Thanks for all the detailed pics & info, certainly has given me a few ideas for some more mods!

Dark 1
16th April 2011, 09:59 PM
Just came across this thread, fantastic read - absolutely awesome rig! Thanks for all the detailed pics & info, certainly has given me a few ideas for some more mods!

Thanks mate, it really is a labour of love.

Dark 1
16th April 2011, 10:44 PM
Another couple random shots.

Dark 1
16th April 2011, 11:01 PM
A couple more.

AB
16th April 2011, 11:04 PM
Nice shots mate, looks like you got a swarm of flies in your face in that last shot...LMAO!!!

fordfalcon04
16th April 2011, 11:42 PM
nice photos

Patrolute4x4
17th April 2011, 06:33 PM
Great shots

Bigrig
17th April 2011, 07:34 PM
A couple more.

Nice shots of the trol big boy!! A fine example of a hybrid tourer with heaps of capability!

Dark 1
17th April 2011, 07:56 PM
Oh shucks thanx Scotty.

Bigrig
17th April 2011, 08:08 PM
Oh shucks thanx Scotty.

It's what I do!!! LOL

Dark 1
17th April 2011, 08:31 PM
Paid mal for the HH tonite so hopefully should arrive next week, love a new mod.

Bigrig
17th April 2011, 09:33 PM
Paid mal for the HH tonite so hopefully should arrive next week, love a new mod.

I know they are for practicality, but I have to be honest and say I love seeing mine on when I walk towards the rig! Like you say mate - love a mod, and this one is both functional and looks good on the truck!

Now, back to that front bash plate Mal !! LOL!!!

Dark 1
19th April 2011, 06:43 PM
My Harriss Hardcase turned up today, 5 min install & what a top mod. Thanx alot Mal absolute pearla of a product.

racey000
27th April 2011, 03:39 PM
great looking truck you have

MudRunnerTD
27th April 2011, 06:08 PM
My Harriss Hardcase turned up today, 5 min install & what a top mod. Thanx alot Mal absolute pearla of a product.

Yeah i think i'm liking them allot!!! might need to invest in some of those. Very very cool little add on. big kudos to the maker for sure!

Dark 1
28th April 2011, 05:44 PM
Yeah i think i'm liking them allot!!! might need to invest in some of those. Very very cool little add on. big kudos to the maker for sure!

Yeh i reckon one would look tops under the "Q" MR. Must see piccies tho mate.

Clunk
28th April 2011, 05:48 PM
look greta Kelvin, nice bit of useful shiny bling

Bigrig
28th April 2011, 06:01 PM
Yep - functional and easy on/off - he's "done good, played strong"!! (in the immortal words of the late, great Jack Gibson).

Dark 1
30th April 2011, 08:12 PM
Some Cape Photos.

Bigrig
30th April 2011, 08:18 PM
Some Cape Photos.

Nice mate!!! Love the third shot dropping into the drink!! More, more, more!!!! LOL

AB
30th April 2011, 08:22 PM
When did you go there?

That bridge looks like someone fixed it up a lot better.

Dark 1
30th April 2011, 10:56 PM
When did you go there?

That bridge looks like someone fixed it up a lot better.

We went up there in "09" for 4 weeks. The log bridge is on the track into Virilya point, bridge was good but track up to bridge was alot more interesting.

Clunk
30th April 2011, 10:58 PM
more great pics there mate..................... need more hahahaha

Bigrig
30th April 2011, 11:08 PM
We went up there in "09" for 4 weeks. The log bridge is on the track into Virilya point, bridge was good but track up to bridge was alot more interesting.

Where's those photos then boss?? C'mon old mate, we need the pictures ... you know most of us can't read!! LOL!!!

Dark 1
30th April 2011, 11:23 PM
A couple more for Scotty.
First one is gunshot, second is logan crossing on the otl, third pascoe crossing on the frenchmans track & last one is the beach at coloured sands near hopevale.

GUtsy ute
30th April 2011, 11:28 PM
Where's those photos then boss?? C'mon old mate, we need the pictures ... you know most of us can't read!! LOL!!!

X2 on more pics.
Love the shots of the rig in action Kelvin,.

Bigrig
30th April 2011, 11:30 PM
A couple more for Scotty.

Thanks boss - love em!! Is it just me, but when you see rigs in the magazines on these awesome treks and then compare it with photos of some mates you know doing it, I just get heaps more enjoyment out of the latter!!

Dark 1
30th April 2011, 11:31 PM
Another one, palmtree creek at the start of the otl.

Dark 1
30th April 2011, 11:34 PM
I want to do the cape again some day [when i retire i suppose] so may organise a forum trip.

Bigrig
30th April 2011, 11:36 PM
I want to do the cape again some day [when i retire i suppose] so may organise a forum trip.

Can I come?? We were going to do it this year as you know, but time and dollars don't allow ... just one of those "must do" treks ...

AussieRoadHammer
30th April 2011, 11:44 PM
Just finished reading the whole thread...
Very very very nice rig and great foters there.
Has given me some great ideas for my rig.

Cheers Hammer.

Clunk
1st May 2011, 02:00 AM
top stuff oh Dark 1, you have shown us the light

Dark 1
1st May 2011, 09:41 AM
Thanks guys she's coming along, cape is an experiance.

Dark 1
12th May 2011, 08:16 PM
Update time, well as most probably already know i blew 5th in the old girl yesterday. Was driving out of town to a performance shop to talk to the guy about an intercooler & performance extras for the ride & while passing a truck on the highway slipped her into 5th & nothing there [except for a horrible noise]. Bugger !
Well done some priceing today & i can get a rebuilt & strengthened replacement box from rocky for a couple of grand so i've got to remove mine & install the new one. Will have to wait a while as funds are a bit tight at the mo but at least i can easily source another.

Also as the funds become more available we're looking at fitting an intercooler, new custom exhaust, different dump pipe, dyno tune & pump mod.
Also considering a deisel gas system. The mechanic is predicting 250-300 rwhp so really looking foward to the outcome of this work.
So keep posted for some further updates.

growler2058
12th May 2011, 08:18 PM
Update time, well as most probably already know i blew 5th in the old girl yesterday. Was driving out of town to a performance shop to talk to the guy about an intercooler & performance extras for the ride & while passing a truck on the highway slipped her into 5th & nothing there [except for a horrible noise]. Bugger !
Well done some priceing today & i can get a rebuilt & strengthened replacement box from rocky for a couple of grand so i've got to remove mine & install the new one. Will have to wait a while as funds are a bit tight at the mo but at least i can easily surce another.

Also as the funds become more available we're looking at fitting an intercooler, new custom exhaust, different dump pipe, dyno tune & pump mod.

Mate sounds like a tuff truck comin on!!

big_fletch
12th May 2011, 09:04 PM
Well done some priceing today & i can get a rebuilt & strengthened replacement box from rocky for a couple of grand so i've got to remove mine & install the new one. Will have to wait a while as funds are a bit tight at the mo but at least i can easily surce another.

Also considering a deisel gas system. The mechanic is predicting 250-300 rwhp so really looking foeard to the outcome of this work.

Can't wait to see how it comes along mate, should make a powerful package when completed.
Just a shame about the gearbox crapping itself right as your trying to organise that

Bigcol
16th May 2011, 11:37 PM
mate,
I have been drooooling over your build up for the last 2 days (reading it in between doing other jobs)
what a FAN TAS TIC piece of kit you have created

(if I didnt have long pockets and short arms, I would do similar to yours)
I am totaly in awe of your beast

some thing for me to aspire to..........

cheers

Dark 1
17th May 2011, 06:30 PM
mate,
I have been drooooling over your build up for the last 2 days (reading it in between doing other jobs)
what a FAN TAS TIC piece of kit you have created

(if I didnt have long pockets and short arms, I would do similar to yours)
I am totaly in awe of your beast

some thing for me to aspire to..........

cheers

Aww shucks thanks mate. Found a written off series 3 4.2 ute today so will hopefully grab the box out of it & a few other goodies. [diffs 4.11 gears, headlights & so on ]

Dark 1
27th June 2011, 09:50 PM
Thought i'd chuck up some photos of play time over the weekend.

Bigrig
28th June 2011, 08:11 AM
Thought i'd chuck up some photos of play time over the weekend.

Nice playground!! Who's the rough looking rooster at the wheel?? lmao!!

Dark 1
29th June 2011, 04:05 PM
Nice playground!! Who's the rough looking rooster at the wheel?? lmao!!

Cocka doodle doo !

patch697
29th June 2011, 04:10 PM
Mate thats what I call getting in it.........Nice wheel work

big_fletch
29th June 2011, 08:13 PM
Nice pics mate, looks like was a lot of fun

Dark 1
13th July 2011, 06:20 PM
A couple random shots, cape & local tracks.

big_fletch
13th July 2011, 10:15 PM
Nice photos mate, good to see you use your troll very well mate lol.. Love the photo of the camp site, very nice setup

Clunk
13th July 2011, 10:47 PM
X2 mate, great set up

frenzy
23rd July 2011, 11:33 PM
Very nice setup there mate.

Dark 1
31st July 2011, 09:41 AM
Quick update, we finally have a contract on our house so, full steam ahead on the van & watch this space as old tuff is gonna get some love as well. Will be ditching the denco for a ball bearing garret turbo & intercooler [not sure if i'll do a front mount or top mount at this stage]& a few little pretty bits.

Timmo
1st August 2011, 10:18 PM
awsome looking rig man

oxe351
16th August 2011, 09:04 PM
my dream ride!!!

RustyNails
16th August 2011, 11:05 PM
:wink::wink::wink:You need to fix the gearbox first Kel

starck
17th August 2011, 07:19 AM
Nice project. Hope U make her even better and show us soon. Regards Dark1

Dark 1
18th August 2011, 11:14 PM
:wink::wink::wink:You need to fix the gearbox first Kel

Box, new clutch, machined flywheel, rear main seal & new uni's all bought & paid for should be here next week & then fitting all up weekend of the 3rd/4th september.

Also bought a 2 camera rear camera kit today. Screen replaces rear vision mirror & minature eyeball camera mounts on the back of truck & 140 degree eyeball goes on the back of the van.
While i was spending up i bought a "Coupler tec" six pad electronis rust kit for the car & a 4 pad kit for the van. Now looking at a Vms 600 gps, new drivers side seat & MSA ctton canvas seat covers, Woo Hoo bring on the new mods.

Bigrig
19th August 2011, 08:13 AM
Box, new clutch, machined flywheel, rear main seal & new uni's all bought & paid for should be here next week & then fitting all up weekend of the 3rd/4th september.

Also bought a 2 camera rear camera kit today. Screen replaces rear vision mirror & minature eyeball camera mounts on the back of truck & 140 degree eyeball goes on the back of the van.
While i was spending up i bought a "Coupler tec" six pad electronis rust kit for the car & a 4 pad kit for the van. Now looking at a Vms 600 gps, new drivers side seat & MSA ctton canvas seat covers, Woo Hoo bring on the new mods.

Here they come!!! Now the house is gone (going), the truck gets the love!!! lmao

Good stuff mate and keep us posted!

rustyones
29th August 2011, 10:03 PM
Great shots Love seeing a Patrol out doing what it does best Cheers

Dark 1
3rd September 2011, 09:28 PM
Well after a hell of a long day old tuff has a shiny new rebuilt box, new heavy duty clutch, machined flywheel, rear mainseal & new uni's. Man it's good to have 5th gear back.
A massive THANKS to Kable, The 2 Johno's, Dom, Whykesy, Chris & the old man for all the help. Took six of us & alot of persuasion to get it out, after a little panel work around the transmission tunnell it only took three of us about half an hour to get it back in.

Next on the list is to fit the reversing camera kit, electric brake controller, 12pin plug for the van & new set of 210mm 55w hid spots on the bar.
We leave in a little under 2 weeks to get the van so will test all the new gear out on the way.

Bigrig
3rd September 2011, 09:30 PM
Well after a hell of a long day old tuff has a shiny new rebuilt box, new heavy duty clutch, machined flywheel, rear mainseal & new uni's. Man it's good to have 5th gear back.
A massive THANKS to Kable, The 2 Johno's, Dom, Whykesy, Chris & the old man for all the help. Took six of us & alot of persuasion to get it out, after a little panel work around the transmission tunnell it only took three of us about half an hour to get it back in.

Next on the list is to fit the reversing camera kit, electric brake controller, 12pin plug for the van & new set of 210mm 55w hid spots on the bar.
We leave in a little under 2 weeks to get the van so will test all the new gear out on the way.

Top effort mate and well done!! Glad to hear you sorted it and bet you can't wait to get on the road to get that van!!

big_fletch
3rd September 2011, 09:52 PM

Good to hear its all getting sorted mate, Ill bet 5th gear is beautiful.. Hope everthing goes smoothly for ya in the future matey

Fletcha

Dark 1
4th September 2011, 10:12 AM
Thanks guys.

hugebbq
10th September 2011, 05:19 PM
nice rig and good first action shot!

Leighw85
25th September 2011, 11:20 PM
mate your rig is bloody incredible!
your whole set up is great. Love the work put in.
Pictures are fantastic!!!

frenzy
26th September 2011, 12:22 AM
Great to hear you've sorted out the gearbox mate!

RJG
5th October 2011, 10:42 PM
What a great looking patrol, read this thread from fron to back and love the photos!

Dark 1
5th February 2012, 12:08 AM
Well it's been a while since this thread has had some action so thought I would close it as the troll will be soon delivered to Timbo ( here off the forum) & he will no doubt start a new thread about my baby so it's a sad goodbye from me, she's been a hell of a ride & if he doesn't treat ya right I'll have to sort him out.

Tapatalking my around.

Hunty
5th February 2012, 09:33 AM
Getting rid of it dark1? May I ask why?

She's a great looking rig lots of memories in her to I can see.

Did you end up doing the pump turbo and intercooler?

Dark 1
5th February 2012, 06:01 PM
Thanks Hunty lot of love for the old girl, our priorities have changed & we are soon to take off on a big adventure around australia towing a 3.5 - 4 tonne van behind us so unfortunately the old 4.2 just can't hack the big lump behind it do we've had to buy a v8 to tow with.

Tapatalking my around.

Dark 1
5th February 2012, 06:03 PM
No Hunty I didn't end up doing anything further with the engine just did the drivetrain up.

Tapatalking my around.

NissanGQ4.2
5th February 2012, 09:16 PM
Thanks Hunty lot of love for the old girl, our priorities have changed & we are soon to take off on a big adventure around australia towing a 3.5 - 4 tonne van behind us so unfortunately the old 4.2 just can't hack the big lump behind it do we've had to buy a v8 to tow with.

Tapatalking my around.

A Nissan 4.2 could pull anything a V8 anything else could pull :) Mind you a V8 in my GQ would be ummmmmm nice 2 have ;)

Timbo
6th February 2012, 01:17 PM
It will definitely be getting the pump done and an Intercooler fitted when I get it. :)
Also TJM Pro lockers, Steel rear bar, new suspension (possibly) and a few other bits n' bobs.

All in good time. ;)

Dark 1
6th February 2012, 01:32 PM
I love the "RED DEVIL" signature Timbo.

Hunty
6th February 2012, 02:18 PM
It will definitely be getting the pump done and an Intercooler fitted when I get it. :)
Also TJM Pro lockers, Steel rear bar, new suspension (possibly) and a few other bits n' bobs.

All in good time. ;)

Sounds the goods mate, you will be able to get some good power with a intercooler and done up fuel pump, are you changing turbo at all?

Timbo
6th February 2012, 02:49 PM
Sounds the goods mate, you will be able to get some good power with a intercooler and done up fuel pump, are you changing turbo at all?

No plans to change the turbo initially. I wont be towing anything serious with it for a while yet. Maybe the odd trailer load of rubbish.. but very very rarely. If & when I buy a camper or caravan, I'll look into turbo options. Going to research intercooler options.. whether I go water to air or Air to Air top mount. Pro's and Con's for both.

I just want it to drive great on the road and in the bush. Compared to the 2.8td, I'm hoping I'll be able to over take safely on the HWY's without needed 2 km's for run up haha.
Nah.. my 2.8 goes really well actually with the mods and chip.

Hunty
6th February 2012, 04:26 PM
Haha yeah I know what you mean about the over taking. Just recently converted my 2.8 wagon to a 4.2 and man it's awesome love the power, still have to work something out for an air box and then get it tuned and it should be a blitz to over take.

We ran an eBay front mount intercooler and 3" ally piping, if you have the room for a front mount it's a good option if you don't do a laminova.

HitMix
9th February 2012, 06:43 AM
A couple random shots, cape & local tracks.

Love the pictures! :D