PDA

View Full Version : Forum slow!

AB
28th September 2010, 09:15 AM
Sorry guys, my service provider has informed me that their system has crashed and is now running super dooper slow.

Sorry everyone, their trying to fix this now.

Should be back up to normal speed soon!

Apologies everyone!

AB
28th September 2010, 12:17 PM
Alright, we're back on as normal.

Sorry folks the company who hosts this forum had a meltdown and their server crashed.

Should be all ok now!

Maxhead
28th September 2010, 12:32 PM

Sorry folks the company who hosts this forum had a meltdown and their server crashed.

Should be all ok now!

It must be all the new members joining up!!!

Good work people...AB you might need to increase the bandwidth...haha

AB
28th September 2010, 01:13 PM
It must be all the new members joining up!!!

Good work people...AB you might need to increase the bandwidth...haha

I cant believe I havent had a phone call from them yet.

The average website goes through about 200mb/month we are munching up over 4gb....Twenty times more memory then a normal website...lol

NissanGQ4.2
28th September 2010, 03:57 PM

Should set up your on server and host it yourself Andy, From what i believe its not to hard to do

AB
28th September 2010, 04:38 PM
Great idea Todd but my internet at home is very unreliable.

I have trenched through my phone cables twice now and everyime it rains I loose internet...haha

NissanGQ4.2
28th September 2010, 05:03 PM
Great idea Todd but my internet at home is very unreliable.

I have trenched through my phone cables twice now and everyime it rains I loose internet...haha

Got to love unreliable internet connections, maybe when the government rolls out this new supa supa doper broadband you will have no problems *LMAO*
How do u trench thru ur phone cables???, i have heard of something, I think its called dial before you dig *L* Are you on acres where you are???

Every time it rains i loose internet.....that is no surprise! I'm sure your with Telstra or your carrier is using Telstra's infrastructure that was built in the 1600

AB
28th September 2010, 06:40 PM
Got to love unreliable internet connections, maybe when the government rolls out this new supa supa doper broadband you will have no problems *LMAO*
How do u trench thru ur phone cables???, i have heard of something, I think its called dial before you dig *L* Are you on acres where you are???

Every time it rains i loose internet.....that is no surprise! I'm sure your with Telstra or your carrier is using Telstra's infrastructure that was built in the 1600

Yep unfortunately Telstra all the way.

Nah, dial before you dig only does road side and lines running to suburban areas so yeah my line runs a good 100m to my house and dial b4 you dig only shows the entrance.

Little did I know that my line ended up doing a few zig zags to get to my house. Good ol 70's, hit a tree stump or rock and go around...lol

patch697
29th September 2010, 11:36 AM
Yep unfortunately Telstra all the way.

Nah, dial before you dig only does road side and lines running to suburban areas so yeah my line runs a good 100m to my house and dial b4 you dig only shows the entrance.

Little did I know that my line ended up doing a few zig zags to get to my house. Good ol 70's, hit a tree stump or rock and go around...lol

We can fix this AB........ Just have a forum working bee at your place?...... I don't think there is a member here who wouldn't stick he's hand up for you old mate if thay were are close enough.

AB
29th September 2010, 12:05 PM
Now your talking big guy, ok Vic forum catch up on the 15th is now a working bee at Andys...lol

We can get wood, chop down trees, fix Telstra cable, trench path way for power for my new shed, burning off, level areas for lawn....

Man this is going to be great times for everyone...lol

DX grunt
29th September 2010, 01:44 PM

Dial before you dig. lol

AB
29th September 2010, 02:10 PM
I dialed, I downloaded and I did it all mate....Dial before you dig is useless for residential property.

In my case It's watch for orange plastic flying around whilst you dig"...lol

rkinsey
29th September 2010, 02:53 PM
Should set up your on server and host it yourself Andy, From what i believe its not to hard to do

No Its not hard to do but you have to factor in bandwith (4gb+ per month just for the website) and then there are the concurrent connections to the server that the link can handle at any given time as well as the fact that the server will need to be behind a secure firewall and have anti intrusion software/appiances setup on ABs network.

Then there is the constant maintenance on the server, internet failover, administration of the site, application patches, OS patching and security, storage space for backup etc

Lets not forget the time that AB (and I am sure, other contributors to the site) already spend in just maintaing and administering the site and forums.

If the site and forums are hosted with a provider (I use siteground in the US for our soccer clubs website) then you dont have to worry about all the crap that goes with it all. Just have to look after the site itself.

Well done AB and good job mate

Maxhead
29th September 2010, 04:11 PM
No Its not hard to do but you have to factor in bandwith (4gb+ per month just for the website) and then there are the concurrent connections to the server that the link can handle at any given time as well as the fact that the server will need to be behind a secure firewall and have anti intrusion software/appiances setup on ABs network.

Then there is the constant maintenance on the server, internet failover, administration of the site, application patches, OS patching and security, storage space for backup etc

Lets not forget the time that AB (and I am sure, other contributors to the site) already spend in just maintaing and administering the site and forums.

If the site and forums are hosted with a provider (I use siteground in the US for our soccer clubs website) then you dont have to worry about all the crap that goes with it all. Just have to look after the site itself.

Well done AB and good job mate

I would have to agree with you rkinsey. There's a fair bit of stuff going on to maintain a busy and operational website.
This site has been going flat out since day one and we only had one slow down( that I noticed)