PDA

View Full Version : ZD30 Oil Leak on drivers side of the engine???

BearGUST
27th April 2012, 09:58 AM
Hi Everyone,
I'm hoping someone has encoutered the same problem as me...
I have a very bad oil leak on the RH side of the engine, the whole side of the engine block was covered in oil so I assumed it was the oil pressure switch. I have replaced that (twice - to be sure, to be sure) but the leak is still present. It's very difficult to see up there, particularly without a hoist.
Has anyonle else had an oil leak in this area???
I'm heading up to the High Country next week and really need to fix it.

chev_1973
27th April 2012, 10:37 AM
Sounds like an oil housing leak.

I have the same problem, it's the part that oil filter is attached to it.

Either a gasket, or rubber washer or the housing has a crack.

BearGUST
27th April 2012, 10:55 AM
Sounds like an oil housing leak.

I have the same problem, it's the part that oil filter is attached to it.

Either a gasket, or rubber washer or the housing has a crack.

The oil filter is on the other side of the engine?

AB
27th April 2012, 11:19 AM
If you don't get the answers you want mate I would be degreasing the whole side of the block, go for a drive for 5 minutes and then have a good look to try and identify exactly where it is coming from.

BearGUST
27th April 2012, 12:00 PM
If you don't get the answers you want mate I would be degreasing the whole side of the block, go for a drive for 5 minutes and then have a good look to try and identify exactly where it is coming from.
Thanks AB, I have tried that a while back (when the leak wasn't as bad) but it didn't leak... Seems to take a while, but when it starts - it pours out! I might have to give that another shot.

BearGUST
27th April 2012, 12:05 PM
I stuck the phone between the starter and the block and took a photo:
Thinking I might have to clean it all up, take it for a drive, then take more photos.
I miss having access to hoists!

AB
27th April 2012, 12:15 PM
The pipe in the middle...Is that your oil drain for the turbo???

That looks a bit suss mate....Oil build up on the thread.

A lot of oil build up in the top right too...

AB
27th April 2012, 12:17 PM
Yep, do another big clean up....drive for 5 minutes check it, take some photos....Drive for another 10 minutes, photos etc....

motomuzz
29th April 2012, 07:50 PM
Hi, WOW..looks like you and I have sister vehicles mate.Im going through EXACTLY the same leak.
All I can say is look higher mate, Ive done the degrease and look\investigate and mine is coming from the head gasket from around the 4th and 3rd pot area.Give mine a day or two and my drivers side of the engine looks exactly to the T of your photo.Its pretty disapointing.

motomuzz
29th April 2012, 08:01 PM
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q128/allan077/2012-04-29172019.jpg
this is mine when degreased and driven for about 2 minutes,give it time and the whole side look likes your pic

fat paddy
29th April 2012, 08:02 PM
Its not leaking from the power steering somewhere and getting blown onto the side of the block?
Is it diesel? could be coming from the fuel return which comes out of the head on that side up near the front.
Other possibilities; The head itself, head gasket, rocker cover gasket, oil filler cap not sealing, PCV pipe has come loose. The head is slotted up against the housing for the timing chain, vacuum pump and injector pump, then there is a front cover in front of that. It could be leaking from any of those interfaces. The inlet manafold will have to come off minimum, allow about 4 hours for that fun job.
The pipe is the middle of the photo is the oil drain from the back of the head, it comes from the head as a metal pipe then goes to rubber before going into the sump.
The dip-stick tube is inserted in the sump and sealed with a simple o-ring down there.
Cheers,
FP

BearGUST
30th April 2012, 09:18 AM
I did some more investigating. I removed the starter so I could actually see some more, then cleaned it all spotless (super cheap $0.99 cans of degreaser was good timing). I roll started it so I could keep the starter off and ran if for a while, I first thought it was coming from the balance shaft welsh plug but once I got the phone up there for photo's I could see that it was definitely coming from higher:
So I kept stripping bits off, then I wasn't happy cos it looked to be leaking out the head gasket:
I then pulled the intercooler off and happily found the oil was still leaking higher than that. It was pooled on top of the inlet manifold:
I cleaned everything up and (after putting the starter back on) I ran the engine. Gotta love diesels being able to run with the intercooler removed :)
And I found the culprit:
Sorry it's not a great pic but it's leaking diesel from the no.2 injector sleeve:
Now to call Nissan and hope they have them in stock!

BearGUST
30th April 2012, 03:05 PM
$18 from Nissan, should get that back in fuel economy pretty quick!

AB
30th April 2012, 03:14 PM
Phewww....lol

BearGUST
30th April 2012, 05:17 PM
Phewww....lol

Yep! And (fingers crossed) all fixed tonight ready for the high country on Wednesday!

motomuzz
6th May 2012, 06:43 PM
glad to hear its all sorted for ya bud, I still have a few sleepless nights to go,before payday.lol

I stripped mine down and its gotta be the head gasket,oh well here comes open heart surgery.Hope the can of worms aint gunna be ugly.

BearGUST
7th May 2012, 09:38 AM
I did go away in mine but the leak is still there but I don't think its as bad.
I'm now thinking of replacing the fuel supply pipe, on a Commodore with direct injection they recommend to replace the pipes whenever they are undone.

glad to hear its all sorted for ya bud, I still have a few sleepless nights to go,before payday.lol

I stripped mine down and its gotta be the head gasket,oh well here comes open heart surgery.Hope the can of worms aint gunna be ugly.

I hope the news isn't too bad! Keep us posted so the info is there for future reference.

motomuzz
9th June 2012, 06:58 PM
OK, well just got the wagon back from the mechanic. After several inspections and written reports from several mech shops,It all came to the same conclusion.
The list of repairs as follows:
from head upwards:new gaskets and seals.also fuel return pipe was leaking as from what I hear is basically reallity,so that was ,fixed.
mechanic threw a CEL so Nissan sorted that with ecutalk-a sensor was busted.
new boost solenoid
new belts and pulleys\bearing kit
rear main seal replaced

so that was an expensive exercise,but now now leaks..well till she goes bang anyway LOL

Cowboy
18th June 2012, 01:23 PM
Got the same issue and have found 2 of the sleeves leaking, So mechanic doing all 4 today.
Make sure you change all 4 sleeves
We have not long replaced the head and thought these sleeves would have been with it amongst all the other seas, but no, they don't come with the new head.

BearGUST
21st June 2012, 06:22 AM
I have rechecked mine and found the no.1 sleeve is now leaking. I'd agree with doing all at once. Unfortunately I'll have to pull the manifold off this time.

Cowboy
21st June 2012, 03:17 PM
I have rechecked mine and found the no.1 sleeve is now leaking. I'd agree with doing all at once. Unfortunately I'll have to pull the manifold off this time.

Yep, you are just waisting your time if you don'replace all 4 at the same time, as once the pressure starts to build up it will cause the older ones to leak and when they do, it is generally worse.
We will find out how all ends up today when finished as we had to wait for bloody Nissan to get the gaskets that were needed in, as the local branch didn't have any.... Typical

BearGUST
24th July 2012, 10:26 PM
I've returned from a relaxing overseas trip and finally got around to replacing the other 3 injector seals.
It is possible to do them without the removal of the intake manifold. Just remove all the injector lines as a bundle, replace all seals and put it all back together.