PDA

View Full Version : what spotties would be best for my use

luvpsi
26th April 2012, 08:12 PM
hey guys im looking at getting some spotties. im tossing up between lightforce roolight and narva as coin is short im thinking roolight or narva. however when it comes to spotties i dont know what to look for. now i mainly want to use them for road driving and a bit of track work at night when on beach fishing or out camping. for this use am i better off getting one pencil and one spread

Winnie
26th April 2012, 08:21 PM
To be honest if you're mainly using them on the road you're probably fine to go with the cheaper Roolites or Narva. Lightforce are extremely durable and put out brilliant light, but of course you pay for it and sometimes you really don't need that much light.
Personally I am going to be buying two sets of Roolites, the 220s and I'll put a 100W HID kit in them and some smaller spread beam ones.

Silver
26th April 2012, 08:27 PM
Interesting article in the current ARB mag on lights. ARB bloke was suggesting that there is merit in two spread beams rather than the traditional spread and spot.

Said that a quality spot had a 'dipping recommendation' of a distance I can't remember, that equated to 40 seconds driving time. He also said they reflect excessively off signs etc.

If Roolights are like Lightforce, you can adjust the spread?

luvpsi
26th April 2012, 09:29 PM
so in other words 2 spread beams would be better then one of each

megatexture
26th April 2012, 10:04 PM
He also said they reflect excessively off signs etc.

i agree with that when your out in the sticks and then you find a large sign they can be blinding!

the evil twin
26th April 2012, 10:24 PM
First off I have to say I have nothing against Light Force 'cept the budget. Yes, they are worth the bucks but I can't justify it where a professional or high hour reccy user can.

Soooo... I have 2 X 220 Roolites with 55 Watt HID Lightforce conversion kits in them and 2 X 100 Narva spreads low and wide on the Bullbar with 35 Watt HID.

The Roolites are too bright for the highway as the reflection from signage (even the yellow curve advisories) is really irritating. They throw the light so far that it is actually wasted and I am planning on pulling them off and replacing them with a lightbar.

The little Narva's are in the bull bar and are fantastic as they throw a heap of light out into the table drains and areas off the side of the side of the track including around corners so to speak. I am planning on taking them up to 55 Watt.

Some people complain of vibrations with the Roo Lites (mine don't) and others cannot get a good focus compromise between spread and spot (which I did find).

If you want the best bang for your buck for road/beach/camping from a single pair I would go the Narva's with both in a spread and 55 Watt Ebay HID kits.

Just my opinions and can totally see why others may feel exactly the opposite. Lighting can be a very very individual thing

Silver
26th April 2012, 11:42 PM
so in other words 2 spread beams would be better then one of each

that was the conclusion he came to, and I will probably investigate changing my spot to another spread. I want to see at medium distance what is in the shoulders, drains etc and off to the side a bit, more than a huge distance straight ahead, so as to avoid Mr Skip, Mrs Skip and the rest :-)

luvpsi
27th April 2012, 08:04 PM
mmm it is very hard as im not sure what to go for now i really wanna lean towards the roolites but i have no idea whether to get spread or spotty. can you get covers for the roolites to convert from pencil beam to spread as all this spottie talk confuses me

Silver
27th April 2012, 08:16 PM
If I had my time again, I would get two spread beams.

if the roolights are copies of the light force, the si2e of the illuminated area is adjusted by screwing the reflector in and out on the base/bracket. This moves the filament of the lens in relation to the reflector.

You can also get bulbs that have filaments that point fore and aft, ie, 90 degrees to the bullbar, or left to right, ie parallel to the bullbar - this changes the shape of the illuminated patch.

But see the comment in the earlier post about limitations on focussing/ 2ooming the roolights. For all I know that applies to Lightforce as well. I use a couple of lightforces as spotlights, and I set them as pencil beams.

Ask the vendor what adjustment is possible on the Roolights?

luvpsi
27th April 2012, 08:21 PM
i just read you can convert roolites 220xp from spread or pencil from adjsuting the lens

Finly Owner
27th April 2012, 11:50 PM
Me, I like the idea of two spreads and a middle pencil. I am thinking about a small LED light bar on bullbar with a spred beam eiher side and 2 pencil beams on roof rack. Along with 2 true fogs on bullbar.

Tim

eric
28th April 2012, 08:43 AM
I bought a set of lightforce blitz 5 years ago for $330 and only done one globe since the only trouble is you have to dip your lights early when cars approach but when there is no traffic they are excellent

timaus
3rd May 2012, 03:49 PM
Eric, Just got back from a trip to Ningaloo, I to have blitz lights and have the problem of having to dip the lights early, but the biggest problem I found was the reflection of the road signs. They must have put new signs up because I found them really bright.