PDA

View Full Version : The revvy 2.8

Timbo
27th September 2010, 12:50 PM
Hi 2.8 owners,

I'm interested to know how hard you rev the 2.8 before changing gears. If there's a i'll coming up, or you're simply overtaking someone and you need to get the old girl moving, what do you shift at?

I just got a digital tacho since my dashboard one doesn't work.. and I've been shifting way under what I could have been because I thought I was revving too hard. I used to shift judging by the engine sound and the speed I was doing.

Having a tacho back again, I'm noticing I can push the 2.8 up to 3400-3500 and then I need to change because I still feel like that's too high. Don't want to giver her a heart attack! But apparently, they are good for more revs than that.

Whaddya's reckon?

RustyNails
28th September 2010, 12:55 PM
They love to rev and like most diesels love a good workout.
Mine has been a bit of a pig lately but after a run with the camper on the back for the weekend where she had to work she seems to be purring along now and a lot less smoke too.
I don't rev as high as you when changing (usually around the 3000-3200) but only because mine seems to run outa air and dumps fuel (black smoke) out the back if I get above 3500rpm.

Paul

Timbo
28th September 2010, 01:20 PM
Hi Paul.. haven't seen you around for a while.. but I haven't been around much myself.

Yeah my motor is still pretty fresh so I don't get much black smoke, plus I have the 3" exhaust which allows it to rev a more freely.

When they get up around 3000rpm though, it feels like it's struggling. Maybe i just compare them to petrol motors. Always feel like I'm doing more harm than good.. but at the same time, the old girls hasn't made any complaints so.. I dunno. Probably just need to get over that mental block and keep those revs going.

RustyNails
28th September 2010, 01:33 PM
Not wong about feeling as though you are hurting it, this is my first diesel so when I first got it I was the same but I now know they love the abuse.

Paul
P.S Yeah haven't contributed for awhile, been too busy plus my folks are visiting from QLD so spend the time talking.

Alicetroll
13th October 2010, 10:02 PM
mine will rev all the way up past 4000rpm but over about 3500 I get a masive cloud of black smoke so usually change well before 3000rpm.

wildgu6
17th October 2010, 03:22 PM
Hey buddy.
I have a 98 GU 2.8 TI Done around 200k.
Every day driving I usually change around 2800-3000.
If I am overtaking and need to get the baby going I can push it to 3800-4000 and it loves it Havent tried beyond that yet.
Mate in a 200 series cruiser (V8 twin turbo diesel) is actually shocked how well the trol sticks with him.
Cheers Pete

wildgu6
7th November 2010, 06:43 PM
Hey buddy.
I have a 98 GU 2.8 TI Done around 200k.
Every day driving I usually change around 2800-3000.
If I am overtaking and need to get the baby going I can push it to 3800-4000 and it loves it Havent tried beyond that yet.
Mate in a 200 series cruiser (V8 twin turbo diesel) is actually shocked how well the trol sticks with him.
Cheers Pete

Update: P***** off the other day and pushed the Trol (98 GU 2.8 TI) to 4800. No prob's.........:049:
Gettin near its limit though.

Cheers Pete