PDA

View Full Version : what rpm best for sd33T?

dwrjr
26th April 2012, 02:40 PM
Hi, driving my '86 safari with 3.3 turbo diesel, sometimes I have a choice of staying in a lower gear at around 2500 RPM, or shifting up and driving at around 1800 RPM. These are not quiet motors, so it's mostly the sound that makes me shift up. I'm wondering if I should keep it revved up instead?

the ferret
26th April 2012, 03:19 PM
Revs wont hurt it mate, mine is in a boat and sits on 3600 rpm for hours.
Cheers, the ferret.

dwrjr
27th April 2012, 11:39 AM
thanks for that! what size boat, i bet it moves it?

the ferret
27th April 2012, 12:19 PM
Hi Mate, 24 ft alloy about 25 knots at 3600rpm, hooked upto Volvo 280 sterndrive.

http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt164/ferret/BoatgirlsUntitled.jpg

BearGUST
27th April 2012, 02:16 PM
What boat?

the ferret
27th April 2012, 03:29 PM
What boat?
Slackattack, she's a Westerburg, Albany built.
Cheers, the ferret

BearGUST
27th April 2012, 05:01 PM
Slackattack, she's a Westerburg, Albany built.
Cheers, the ferret

I see it now, something was distracting me :jawdrop:

the ferret
27th April 2012, 05:10 PM
I see it now, something was distracting me :jawdrop:

PMSLROFSMW !!, ya dag!!
Cheers, the ferret.

AndyExy
25th May 2012, 04:46 PM
Hi, driving my '86 safari with 3.3 turbo diesel, sometimes I have a choice of staying in a lower gear at around 2500 RPM, or shifting up and driving at around 1800 RPM. These are not quiet motors, so it's mostly the sound that makes me shift up. I'm wondering if I should keep it revved up instead?

Very closely related to this, how is it best to treat diesel's in general?

Mine peaks in torque at 2000rpm, and power somewhere around 3600 or 4000rpm (wherever). It will happily eat most hills down at 1750rpm, and will cruise with light hills happily down at 1500rpm - which is when the turbo starts to spool up. Even sat down at 1500 whilst tootling along some sand tracks in little desert (even tried idling up one little sand hill - only got stopped when tyres slipped and got a sand-dam in front of them).

The gearbox is set up to hit main speeds at 2000rpm in the upper gears (4th - 60km/h, 5th - 80km/h, 6th - 100km/h).

So torque at 2000, but better economy (at flat cruise) at 1500. What are diesel's happiest with?

I've heard that diesel's soot up more at lower rpms - which can be important with EGR.

Gearbox is happier at 2000 - only because I don't have to change gear so much.

I've heard things about glazing or something that I don't understand yet, which to prevent you should work the diesel hard occasionally.

Anyways, are there good, or better ways to drive a diesel to keep it happier for longer?

MQ MAD
25th May 2012, 05:54 PM
Anyways, are there good, or better ways to drive a diesel to keep it happier for longer?

Generally many oil change these ol donks at 5,000K intervals .....
The problem youll find with many engines,wether diesel or petrol at 30 odd years old,is depending on the engines life and abuse, any engine with that vintage could last 5 mins, 5 days, 5 weeks, 5 years or till some other owner has it
Noone could safely comment that something that old will last longer with doin certain things,like driving style,rev range ect
Dont over rev them,keep the services up , and hopefully it should last awhile
As for rev ranges whats better than what ???
This can be detremental to many things,
Tyre size,body lifts,suspension lifts, diff ratios, 4 speed or 5 speed boxes, how much boost you running, how much fuel the pump is wound up