PDA

View Full Version : Are Nissan Bring Out V8's

Fitzy
12th June 2010, 05:36 PM
Hi everyone,

I heard a rumour that Nissan had plans to bring out a v8 Patrol in the not too distant future.

Toyota seem to be leaving Nissan behind with power lately and was curious to see if anyone can confirm this or is it just fairy tale stories I'm hearing?

Cheers.

Fitzy.

Mark
13th June 2010, 09:52 AM
I haven't heard of anything mate, in fact I'm not sure they will ever do it but i may be wrong???

Patrolowner
14th June 2010, 11:15 AM
Hi Guys,

have look here http://www.themotorreport.com.au/49836/2011-nissan-patrol-unveiled-in-abu-dhabi-australian-debut-next-year

AB
14th June 2010, 11:40 AM
Great find Geoff, looks like we won't be seeing that on our shores until late nex year.

Some interesting comments and reviews for this. A lot of negativity about the design and targeted audience.

Nissan Product Design Director, Taiji Toyota, said the new Patrol was designed to appear less rugged, taking on a more upscale look.

According to Nissan, most SUV owners devote less than 15 percent of their driving time to off-road pursuits. Because of this, the 2011 Patrol offers a more luxurious interior than previous generations.

Land Rover are licking their lips at this news, looks like they are going to have the best sales in years now that the patrol has gone soft like all the other big 4x4's (4 wheel independant susp).
dont know why nissan are bothering selling it in any other market other than the middle east. thats clearly the only people they had in mind when designing it.
Disappointing to say the least!

If anyone is interested we wrote a small review on it at http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/new-nissan-patrol.html

Would love to hear everyone's reviews on this, feel free to post your comments and I will load them on to the main website...Thanks!

Mark
14th June 2010, 07:59 PM
Well I'll be dammed....Nice Geoff!

I don't think this is a step in the right direction for Nissan.

Look It's a great looking 4x4 but the targeted audience is obviously the top end of the market with those fancy Toorak tractors. (Melbourne saying for poshy mums who drive around the city in 100k cars looking the part).

Patty
14th June 2010, 08:16 PM
It could be a good step for Nissan to hit the higher end of the market but as for 4wd's...Its a thumbs down for me unfortunately guys.

GQ-Nut
14th June 2010, 09:21 PM
I might buy one for Christmas.....Christmas 2030 when the price is down to 15k not 100k...lol

Timbo
16th June 2010, 08:29 PM
What an ugly POS that is. They have to be targetting the Saudi's with that. They'll bang on a turbo or two and drag Lambos all day I assume.

Seriously, who would 4wd in that? and for the price it will probably be, i'd cry if it got scratched. It doesn't give the appearance of a rugged capable machine to me. It's totally a soccer mum mobile.

Not sure how this new V8 will go, but they would have been better off putting it in the GU and kept that model/shape. There would be so many people who'd go straight for the V8 over the big 6cyl.

Just disappointing. I'd rather a V8 disco to be honest.. or for a smaller amount of cash, you could probably put the Landcruiser turbo V8 into a mint 80 series and be happy as a pig in shit!

Runt
16th June 2010, 08:30 PM
It just sounds like this has been designed purely for the "demanding Middle East region"

Would be great for crossing the Simpson or to putt around town looking good but thats about it IMO.

Niggle
17th June 2010, 10:59 AM
I still think they need another big 6 like the 4.2 or the 5.6 litre Quad cam motor they use in the US in the Titans.
http://www.nissanusa.com/titan/?next=header.vlp.postcard.thumbnail.
These are a real Nissan V8

Fitzy
17th June 2010, 11:15 AM
Nice, they look the goods too those Titans.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan either of the new Patrol.

Timbo
17th June 2010, 12:32 PM
I would take the titan over that other ugly POS any day of the week,

KBOOBI
24th June 2010, 01:46 PM
While looking at site that patrolowner mentioned I noticed another one at the bottom of the page
http://www.themotorreport.com.au/50366/y61-nissan-patrol-to-be-sold-alongside-all-new-2011-patrol-in-australia
This one talks about selling the Y61 along side of the P61G patrol. it also mentions that there maybe a change to a V6 Diesel
Quote: Although nothing has been confirmed, Nissan’s newly-developed 170kW/550Nm V9X 3.0 litre turbodiesel V6 could possibly find its way into the all-new Patrol, as could a version of Mercedes-Benz’s V6 or inline four turbodiesel engines.

It seems to me that in reality only about 1/3 of all 4wd's actually go off road and that is why all other manufacturers are going for a softer look with their models.
With the RTA introducing the VSI50 regulation in NSW soon, anything over a 2" lift and 33" tyres will not be registered, unless it already has an engineers certificate and even then it may not be accepted.
When Toyota dropped the solid front axle from the 100 series, we thought that the independent suspension will be very limiting for wheel travel, but in fact they are very capable vehicles so maybe the same will happen to the new model Patrols.

Me personally will be keeping my existing GU for as long as I can and enjoying going where I want to.

AB
24th June 2010, 02:18 PM
It seems to me that in reality only about 1/3 of all 4wd's actually go off road and that is why all other manufacturers are going for a softer look with their models.

Also, Nissan statistics have come up with out of those 33% drivers that go offroad only 15% of their driving is actually "OFF ROAD" which is why their heading that way.

Me personally will be keeping my existing GU for as long as I can and enjoying going where I want to.

Yep, in the years to come the GU's will be sort after.

Timbo
24th June 2010, 05:01 PM
GU's will be the new GQ's :D

I'd love to drop one of those v6's into a GU though! Nice figures there.

AB
24th June 2010, 08:41 PM
Also, Nissan statistics have come up with out of those 33% drivers that go offroad only 15% of their driving is actually "OFF ROAD" which is why their heading that way.

So on average out of all the 4wd's in Australia only 5% of their driving time is "Offroad".

Nissan Kid
24th June 2010, 09:23 PM
So on average out of all the 4wd's in Australia only 5% of their driving time is "Offroad".
But When we do go "off road" We go hard, unlike driving over a dirt road..lol

GQ-Nut
24th June 2010, 09:56 PM
But When we do go "off road" We go hard, unlike driving over a dirt road..lol...lol

Interesting stats hey, It's all the city woman in their 'big" 4wd's cruisng around the towns that ruin those figures.

5% is bugger all.

Nissan Kid
24th June 2010, 10:04 PM
...lol

Interesting stats hey, It's all the city woman in their 'big" 4wd's cruisng around the towns that ruin those figures.

5% is bugger all.
Just to clarify, My parents and mate's call them Soccer Mums and most of them are Prado's....lol
Yeah it is a shame to see those numbers:(

Chris60
24th June 2010, 10:09 PM
When I was down visiting a mate in Melbourne they call them "Toorak Tractors"

I don't know why though?

I think there's a suburb called Toorak there, it must be really posh or something.

Timbo
25th June 2010, 10:23 AM
When I was down visiting a mate in Melbourne they call them "Toorak Tractors"

I don't know why though?

I think there's a suburb called Toorak there, it must be really posh or something.

Correct mate.

Basically, it's a ritzy area where all the mums drive 4wd's that never ever see any dirt. They park where ever they feel like, leave their doors wide open while getting the kids out, sit in the middle of the road waiting for a parking spot.. generaly they don't care too much about other drivers. That's at least the common theory.

Nissan Kid
25th June 2010, 11:42 AM
Correct mate.

Basically, it's a ritzy area where all the mums drive 4wd's that never ever see any dirt. They park where ever they feel like, leave their doors wide open while getting the kids out, sit in the middle of the road waiting for a parking spot.. generaly they don't care too much about other drivers. That's at least the common theory.
Here is you serial soccor mum car in it's natural home.....The black top
http://www.toyota.com.au/TWR/content/static/74311.jpg

Chris60
25th June 2010, 11:56 AM
hehe....There's even a write up on Wikipedia about them in Victoria....crack up!

Toorak Tractors

Four wheel drives line a street in Toorak.In Australian slang, a "Toorak tractor", "Toorak taxi", "Toorak tank", or "Toorak truck" are pejorative names for a luxury four-wheel drive vehicle. It refers to Melbourne's penchant for big vehicles; four-wheel drives are seen by the wealthy as status symbols rather than used for their designed off-road abilities.[citation needed]

In an episode of Top Gear Australia, aired on SBS TV, the presenters drove a $200,000 tractor through Toorak Road.[7]

Nissan Kid
25th June 2010, 12:11 PM
In an episode of Top Gear Australia, aired on SBS TV, the presenters drove a $200,000 tractor through Toorak Road.[7]
Haha Remember that episode was quite funny..... Crushed a few cars too:p

YNOT
25th June 2010, 10:20 PM
I still think they need another big 6 like the 4.2 or the 5.6 litre Quad cam motor they use in the US in the Titans.
http://www.nissanusa.com/titan/?next=header.vlp.postcard.thumbnail.
These are a real Nissan V8

The engine in the new model Patrol IS the VK56 5.6 litre quad cam V8, all 400 HP of it!

Tony

edwaan
20th August 2010, 07:46 PM
We've all got to appreciate that Australia isn't the largest market for Patrols - so we have to put up with what they produce for the rest of the world. It's nice to see that the current GU's will still be offered alongside the newer model when it arrives. It's just a shame Nissan don't produce a decent V8 diesel - it'd be the best in the world.

Maxhead
20th August 2010, 08:38 PM
We've all got to appreciate that Australia isn't the largest market for Patrols - so we have to put up with what they produce for the rest of the world. .
Yes, agree on Australia is only a drop in the ocean but as for Nissan producing motors....they are decades behind and more for diesels. The GU body has been around for a decade+ without any significant update either.
I suppose that was their marketing strategy to keep the price down where it is...$20+k cheaper then a Landcrab

YNOT
20th August 2010, 08:48 PM
http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/tonyh01/v9xrwd1.jpg

This is a sneak peek at the engine widely rumoured (at this stage nothing has been confirmed) to be the new diesel engine to be used in up-coming Patrols.

(This write up adapted from Green car congress)

Designated V9X, Infiniti’s(Nissan’s luxury car manufacture) new V6 diesel develops 175 kW (238 hp) and 550 Nm (406 lb-ft) of torque. It was developed in Europe by Infiniti engineers working with other engineers from Renault and Nissan and will be produced at Cleon in France, some 100 km west of Paris. The unit will also be used in cars from Renault and Nissan, allowing both those brands to broaden the appeal of specific model ranges at the same time as boosting production volumes of the engine. The V9X will power front-wheel drive, rear-wheel drive and four-wheel drive models.

Work on the direct injection 2993cc V6 began in 2005. Although a V8 diesel engine was investigated, the V6 format was identified early on as the ideal layout for the unit, providing the optimum balance between overall performance, refinement and volume potential across the three Alliance brands. Target performance was 238 hp (175 kW), 500 Nm of torque and early compliance with forthcoming Euro 5 emission legislation.

Engineers decided that the ideal vee angle for the unit would be an unusual 65 degrees. This offered a compromise between crankshaft balancing, crankshaft and cylinder block reliability and engine packaging with the 65 degree angle wide enough to allow the single turbocharger to be neatly mounted within the vee.

Rather than using aluminium-alloy cylinder blocks to reduce the weight of their diesel engines, the development engineers felt that to achieve the desired levels of refinement an aluminium block would need extra material added to increase its stiffness and reduce noise levels. It might also need extra complexity added in the form of balancer shafts to boost refinement, but all these additions negate the weight advantages of an alloy block.
Conventional cast iron, however, would place too much weight over the front wheels and lower the levels of driving pleasure. In its place, the engineers chose Compacted Graphite Iron (CGI), a material that offers all the benefits of cast iron and more—has higher levels of stiffness and noise absorption—but without the weight penalty. And while CGI is heavier than a pure aluminium block there is no need to add stiffening ribs or extra sound deadening material so the weight gain is comparatively modest.

V9X Dimensions
• Cylinder arrangement: V, six cylinders
• Displacement: 2993cc
• Bore x stroke: 84 x 90 mm
• Bore pitch: 92 mm
• Vee angle: 65 degrees

Combustion; The combustion chamber design was optimized to improve the balance between emission levels and fuel efficiency; the compression ratio was lowered to 16:1 to benefit not just economy and emissions but also noise, vibration and harshness (NVH).
Class-leading levels of torque and highly competitive specific power outputs are delivered thanks to the adoption of a comparatively large single turbocharger, which is mounted within the vee of the engine, an intercooler and the use of the latest generation of Bosch common-rail fuel injection. This system incorporates piezo injectors and operates at 1,800 bar.

Power output is on target at 175 kW while the class-leading torque output of 550 Nm (for rear and four-wheel drive applications) is better than the target. Peak torque is achieved from as low as 1,750 rpm and is available all the way to 2,500 rpm, while as much as 500 Nm is available from 1,500 rpm. Idle speed is an exceptionally low 650 rpm with none of the NVH usually associated with a diesel.
The result is strong low-end performance with comfortably refined delivery. Special tuning of the exhaust note provides a pleasantly sporting note at about 2,500 rpm under hard acceleration.

Reliability and quality targets during development included more than 12,000 hours of durability testing on test benches while transverse and longitudinal V9X development engines were driven more than 1,250,000 km. In addition every single engine is run on a ‘hot bench test’ cycle before it is delivered to the vehicle assembly plant.

On other websites, I have seen references to possible twin turbo’s and outputs of up to 198kw.

Tony

NissanGQ4.2
20th August 2010, 10:07 PM
think i just vomited looking at the photo's, seriously that is not a PATROL!!!!.

Mrowka
7th September 2010, 08:59 PM
Great find Geoff, looks like we won't be seeing that on our shores until late nex year.

Some interesting comments and reviews for this. A lot of negativity about the design and targeted audience.

If anyone is interested we wrote a small review on it at http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/new-nissan-patrol.html

Would love to hear everyone's reviews on this, feel free to post your comments and I will load them on to the main website...Thanks!

Is there a :limpwrist: or maybe a :milquetoast: emoticon here?

AB
7th September 2010, 09:11 PM
No mate, doesnt seem to be...

If you have any ones you want to add then by all means email them to us at info@nissanpatrol.com.au and we will chuck them on here...cheers!

Trav_Patrol
14th September 2010, 12:14 AM
seriously hope they continue to sell the gu with that v6 diesel alongside the new luxobarge
that will be a very capable forby with so much torque so low, imagine factory diff locks like the cruisers get with live axles front and rear
will be the best 4x4 wagon availiable
hopefully they go for this and soon!
i reckon if they got it goin by 2012 i could have saved enough for one
the v8 patrol will be 100k+ by the looks of it, heading for 200 series buyers

the ferret
8th October 2010, 10:00 PM
A little bird told me that Nissan is bringing out a v8 soon, dunno if it's petrol or diesel.

XLR8
8th October 2010, 10:20 PM
I've been told the new Y62 will be released Feb/March 2010 and will have the 5.6L Quad Cam Petrol V8, similar to that currently being sold in the US market. Not sure of the engine options for the Diesel though. The Y61 will continue in Australia in the DX format for atleast 2 years with the 3.0 CRD

Pic of VK56
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii231/XLR8777/250px-Nissan_VK56DE_001.jpg

grumpy mongrel
16th October 2010, 10:16 AM
Hi, not interested in V8, but wish they would bring back the 4.2 diesel turbo, that would boost their sales I reckon..cheers

patch697
16th October 2010, 10:39 AM
Hi, not interested in V8, but wish they would bring back the 4.2 diesel turbo, that would boost their sales I reckon..cheers

Yeah agreed..........

Mrowka
19th October 2010, 11:36 PM

Believe me, I wish they would. That and just give us the GQ again; not a "modern interpretation of the classic Y60 Patrol," just a plain, simple no-frills donkeymobile.

Of course, Nissan would never be able to get the 4.2 emissions certified and Nissan would have gone broke years ago trying to sell cars to people like me.

Maxhead
20th October 2010, 07:06 AM
I'm not sure about bringing back the 4.2 as there are some way more superior motors around but as far as the simple and tough truck....I totally agree.
The GU is great as far as running gear but the body is like alloy foil and paint is like white-out...crap

I don't mint the few extras goodies inside but having to redo the bodywork and paint in a couple of years time is a bit of a pain in the .....