PDA

View Full Version : Highbeam problem

BLKWDW
25th April 2012, 07:20 AM
Hey all replaced my lefthand headlight globe the other week and now ive encounted a problem. the low beam works fine but when i flick it on highbeam the whole light goes including lowbeam.
What could possibly cause this?

Yendor
25th April 2012, 07:38 AM
If you have a GQ and if your new globe hasn't blown then you more then likely have a problem with worn/dirty contacts in your headlight switch.

This is pretty common with the GQs especially if larger wattage headlight bulbs are fitted.

You can either replace the switch or disassemble the old one and clean and adjust the contacts.

It would also be a good idea to fit an upgraded wire harness and relays to your headlights. This will take the load away from the switch contacts and you headlights will be brighter.

BLKWDW
25th April 2012, 08:41 AM
yes its a gq and the bulb hasnt blown as lowbean still works fine. highbeam worked before until the globe blew. where is the switch located and whats the cost of the wiring upgrade and are there kits for it?

MC97GQ
25th April 2012, 05:03 PM
BLKWDW,

The headlight switch is a pretty easy replacement, there are a few threads on this here,

I would also recommend putting in a new loom with relays for your Hi/Lo beam, once again heaps of threads about this.

Do a search, but if you need more info feel free to PM me, as I have done this recently on my truck.

Good luck

Mark

Yendor
26th April 2012, 05:19 PM
yes its a gq and the bulb hasnt blown as lowbean still works fine. highbeam worked before until the globe blew. where is the switch located and whats the cost of the wiring upgrade and are there kits for it?

The headlight bulb has 2 filaments (just like a stop/tail light bulb) so it is possible for one of the filaments inside the bulb to blow (high beam filament) and the other filament (low beam) to still work.

The first thing you need to do is make sure that the bulb has not blown. You can either swap the bulb with the one in the RHS or check that there is power to the Red with a Black trace wire, with high beam on.

If it is the switch that is faulty you won't need to replace this if you are going to do a wiring upgrade.

Piranha off road products sell the wiring kits (possible get cheaper ones on ebay) or your local auto electrician can make one up for you.

OOHA
31st May 2012, 08:18 PM
Had same problem headlight switch was worn replace it & it fixed it but check all at headlight wires