PDA

View Full Version : Diff gears for 35"s or not ???

nibor
26th September 2010, 05:52 PM
Hi, I'm looking at putting new tyres on my gq wagon at the same time as my 4" lift. Do i go 35"s or 33"s in a 15" or for that matter even 285, 305 or 315 in a 16". I don't particularly want to do diff gears at this stage and I'm not sure how the 4.2 turbo would handle it. Please help.

YNOT
26th September 2010, 08:32 PM
What sort of driving do you intend to do with the car? Do you really need a 4 inch lift and big tyres for the driving you want to do?
Sticking to 33 inch tyres (or 285/75r16) will mean not having to change diff gears, you can get away with it with 35" tyres, but fuel economy and performance will suffer a lot more than standard or 33" tyres.
My advice, 2" lift and 33" tyres. It's legal and will get you most places, and a hell of a lot cheaper than going bigger lift and tyres. If it's not enough, get lockers before you go higher.

Tony

nibor
26th September 2010, 11:39 PM
It's not so much do I need the lift, It's just that I already have it from a previous rig. I do intend to do a reasonable amount of weekend 4wding but I will be driving this to and from work (only 10km each way of highway). I think I'll probably go 285/75 16 as there is only a 1" gain in actual clearance by using a 35"/315 tyre and I think the power/economy will be of greater benifet.

Robin

my91gq
28th September 2010, 01:33 AM
ive got 2inch and 2inch body and my 35 claws scrub to be honest a 5inch plus will be need to get the 35s to work properly 33s is proberbly the way to go from wat i can understand u wanna do

MudRunnerTD
8th October 2010, 08:55 PM
Hi mate,

If you have a TD42 with an Aftermarket Turbo setup it will eat a 35 pretty easy to be honest. The commuting kms will be its easiest day lets face it.

You would only really feel the economy and power in the sand and really heavy driving but it will still eat it up otherwise go for it.

You said you have the 4" kit already so "Its free" so go for it. a 2" kit is much cheaper to set up obviously and will serve well and 2" with 2" body blocks will see you running 35s till the cows come home.

If you get too much scrub i would be more inclined to check your Wheel offset than going higher.

I ran a 2" lift and 2" body lift and 35s forever then fitted 35mm spring packers.

I now have a new 5" lift and 2" body with all the bells and crappy Nissan Offset and my 35s scrub the inner gaurd. Change of offset is on the cards to solve this.

For fun in the mud and high country go the 35s for everything else the 33s will be PERFECT.

Good luck mate.

mudrick
21st October 2010, 08:15 PM
but if you like rocks i'd start looking at diff gears and/or reduction gears...

strizman
21st October 2010, 11:31 PM
mate i have 35s on my gq wagon when i didnt have diff gears it was fine no problem. the only problem i had without them is climbing the big rocks. im running a 4.2 turbo diesel running ten pounds i slapped the diff gears in and now cant complain. so you dont really need them its only for the big rocks mate have fun

justrocho
25th November 2010, 11:28 PM
lockers lockers lockers 4.2td 35s

Acko
15th March 2012, 09:44 PM
mate i have 35s on my gq wagon when i didnt have diff gears it was fine no problem. the only problem i had without them is climbing the big rocks. im running a 4.2 turbo diesel running ten pounds i slapped the diff gears in and now cant complain. so you dont really need them its only for the big rocks mate have fun

Hi mate, do you have any other mods to accomodate the 35's under your GQ & did it make much differance to the speedo?

Bjorn,
92 GQ, TB42E, Auto, Wagon, 3" lift

MudSlut
21st March 2012, 10:36 PM
I have a TB42 with 35x12.5 and 6" spring lift and 2" body lift, mine goes great apart from up hills on the HWY. stock diffs as far as i know but i usually only play in mud.

MudSlut
19th August 2012, 01:34 PM
I recently put low ratio diff gears in my GQ and it has completely changed the feel of it. I'd highly recommend the diff gears with 35's as it brought my ratios just below factory gearing. I now have to do 110km/h on the speedo to actually do 100km/h and still only rev at 2200rpm in 5th. I'm not 100% sure the gear ratios are the same on the diesel and petrol GQ's.

ns3474
20th August 2012, 08:16 PM
Don't listen to the guys telling not to go big tyres,go for it,your gq should have 4.11 diff ratios.if you go 35s ,4.6 ratios out of a 2.8 diesel will bring your speedo back to standard,but to be honest 4.3 ratios out of 3 litre petrol gq,or early 3 litre gu,you speedo might be out 5-8% Cheers Neil

The Phat Patroller
12th October 2012, 12:22 AM
Hey guys I'm looking to get 35's down the track, I currently have 33's on a 2" suspension lift. I have an opportunity to buy 4.6125's can I put them in now with the 33's till I get the 35's and lift?

makeitfit
12th October 2012, 01:12 AM
35s rock :210: I live in west wales UK and lots ofthe places we can offroad are pretty heavily rutted :/
The only way out of the do doos is up and so bigger tyres for me :)
I'm simply running +2" suspension lift and +2" body lift. I did have to trim the arches a bit but no biggie.
Gearing is defo a gear short on the road but so far had no issues offroad with it, except the odd "operator error" :icon_driving:

The Phat Patroller
12th October 2012, 01:20 AM
Ok but I do about 70% road driving so I think I'd like the gearing to be close I'm just not sure if it will be too punchy with 4.6's on 33's till I do bigger lift and get 35's

tappo
4th November 2012, 07:25 PM
ive been running 35"s yrs with a td42 std diffs and have had no problems power wise, it can get a little painful on long touring trips, but hey its not rocket science to work out big tyres and a lift are worse for hwy driving... the engine wont struggle with 35's and std diffs

johno90
17th November 2012, 09:49 PM
ive found 35" put my speedo out by 10km which is no drama, once you know it just drive to that speed. Depending on your setup you wont see any power problems, My wagons td42 auto and it will still turn them if i plant it. Tho i do plan to change diff ratio to 4.6 soon as im planning on doing alot of heavy towing so i want to increase low down torque more as my turbs doesnt kick in till about 2000rpm.