PDA

View Full Version : TD4.2 oil pressure problem

Dozer
22nd April 2012, 09:52 PM
G'Day

Wondering if someone can help me out a bit here. Today while out and about i noticed my oil warning light come on and the pressure needle was just under the top mark on the guage. This is about two to three notches above where she would normally sit.

I turned the rig off asap and waited for it to cool down so i could check the water and have a gander at the oil as i was thinking cracked head.

Anyway, it all checked out fine and i noticed the engine temp wasnt over normal so it couldn't be the head causing problems.

I then noticed that the engine oil guage was reading the same level when i turned the ignition on to accessories "before physically starting the engine".

Whats the go with that? it not something iv'e looked at before but im thinking it should show no oil pressure until the truck starts up?

This leads me to my next question, if it is a guage or a sender whats the best way to find out which is faulty?

the ferret
22nd April 2012, 09:56 PM
Make sure the wire to the sender has a good clean connection, check the earth lead to engine block too.
Sounds like your sender is retiring.

Cheers, the ferret.

Dozer
23rd April 2012, 08:19 AM
thanks ferret. Checked all the connections and sprayed WD40 round the sender as i have just gone through some deep mud holes just in case water was causing me some problems. Was pricing up some senders lastnight and seems the one i need "with the warning light connection" is $115.00, they dont miss ya do they lol.

Dozer
23rd April 2012, 01:52 PM
decided to skip just getting a new sender and bought a new aftermarket pressure gauge that comes with the sender for 99 buck's through road runner off road in VIC. Seemed to be the best of both worlds and now ive got another fancy dash dangler to look at.

Dozer
24th April 2012, 07:40 AM
The guage I ended up getting reads in bar an not psi as they were out of the other ones. Wondering what reading I should expect to see out of the td4.2 on idle and under power? If someone can help that would be great as I have never ran a aftermarket oil pressure guage before.

Thanks.

nissannewby
24th April 2012, 08:50 AM
1 bar = 14.5 psi so 2-3 bar for a td 42

Dozer
25th April 2012, 07:17 AM
Thanks mate.

Dozer
25th April 2012, 08:50 PM
Turns out she is running at 2-3 bar at idle and about 4 bar "maybe a bit over" under power. Just in case anyone gets one of these guages in the future and is wondering. Amazing how dead the factory guage is and how sensitive the aftermarket ones are.