PDA

View Full Version : 12V Inverter - what size?

BearGUST
22nd April 2012, 03:26 PM
I'm thinking an inverter would be really handy, I would like to use it to charge things like handhelds, iPod dock (rechargeable), recharge batteries for ryobi stuff (rattle gun, drill, camp light).

What size would people recommend?

I'm worried I'll get a small unit and then realise that I should have gone bigger cos it's handy for something else, what size do people have and what else do you use them for?

Mmarcuss
22nd April 2012, 06:39 PM
I've got a 600w and it is fine for charging batteries and the like. Also have the ryobi one+ stuff. No problems at all

BearGUST
22nd April 2012, 10:22 PM
Thanks for that, I figure that's all I'll need it for.

DX grunt
23rd April 2012, 09:17 AM
Top post Bear.

I'll be watching with interest as that's one of my up and coming mods.

Rossco

megatexture
23rd April 2012, 10:43 PM
look at how many watts the items you will be running it should say on it and get the appropriate inverter + a safety margin

04OFF
24th April 2012, 12:59 AM
Id spend a little extra and get a Pure Sine Wave Inverter for peace of mind, it will cost a little more, but you don't have to worry about stuff not working or damaging anything, first Inverter i bought was Modified Square Wave, i was told Laptop PCs will have no problem at all running off it, of course the first 3 things i went to use didn't like it (my laptop power supplys included)

Its great to know you are producing very close to your normal 240V house power with a Pure Sine Wave model, only restricted to what you can plug in depending on what "wattage" Inverter you buy, ive got two 50W square wave Inverters, one 180W Sine wave, and one 600W Sine wave, i find i really only use the 180W as its a good balance with what i want to power, plus it can plug direct to a GIG lighter socket, as appose to the larger Inverters , these often needing to connect straight to the battery terminals, (due to the heavy current draw).

Using the 600W eats battery power very fast, normally Inverters have a low voltage cut out, so once its hit the cut out (run time will depend on load and battery capacity) you may need to then run the car engine to keep up the voltage above the cut off point.

Bigger than you need is a good idea, but too big can be a hassle, and start to get expensive, all mine have been purchased from local stores, but great deals can be found online, i would suggest if you buy one off ebay etc, you try and buy from a Aussie seller that sells 240V products "certified", as in tested as safe to use going by AU standards.

I use my 180W one for my laptop PCs , charging batteries inc camera, ph etc, running the kids DVD players when they are flat , and my small Yamaha P/A System.:clownredpuff:

BearGUST
24th April 2012, 08:44 AM
Thanks 04FF, I've been looking around for more info with a few people talking about the dangers of inverters.
Based on this, and your post, I'm thinking that one which plugs into the cigarette lighter is a better option.
That way it can be run in the front or back of the car also. I did like the idea of doing a nice neat installation but now am thinking it might be restricitive.