PDA

View Full Version : Touring spares and recovery gear.

PattyWgnOwen
21st April 2012, 12:33 PM
We have done Simpson, cape York, Vic high country, and tassie west coast along with other short trips.

Doing canning next year with mates and the question has been raised....

What spares do we really need and do we need heavy rarely used equipment such as the 15 year old high lift that has sunk to the back of the shed some 12 years ago???

If you carry everything that is suggested we would all need F250's...

Look forward to reading the replies.
Owen.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?oq00rf

macca86
21st April 2012, 12:52 PM
I carry a basic tool kit to do some work if needed carry 10 L of water rope race tape and a few hose clamps hoses and belts air and fuel filters and oil that's about it. I remember in my old (dare I say it) Hilux I burst a bottom radiator hose and the other people their were laughing at me (they were [patrol and paj owners) I then preceded to take it off replace it fill it with water and fill the rest up with creek water all before they offered a hand then I drove out with a large smile on my face when I found one of them bogged and I pulled them out haha.
An old boy taught me to live by the 6 P's

Prior Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance

GQ TANK
30th April 2012, 01:08 PM
I carry a basic tool kit.

Socket sets 1/4 & 1/2 inch
A couple of hammers ( small & big)
Cold chisels
Screw drivers
Allen Keys
Hack saw
Electrical crimper, Crimps, Wire, cable tires, electricl tape
Multi Meter
Hose clamps
fan belts
Oil, Water. breAK FLUID
crc
Metal putty
Fuses

pearcey
2nd May 2012, 06:09 PM
G`day Patty.
Did the Canning in 08 with 6 vehicles 2 of us towed camper trailers did not have any issues.
We took 21 days to do it and we think even that was a bit fast. so a couple of tips keep the speed down, run low tire pressures we ran 18psi with no flats.
If you intend to travel quickly carry spare shockers F and R learn to 12volt weld carry small pieces of flat steel to make brackets and gussets, batt powered drill and angle grinder.
Also I carry ground pepper for any radiator leaks it works great. Apart from the above I would carry just the usual bits and pieces. The corrugations can be quiet server and for long stretches
so keep the weight down and travel slowly

wildgu6
25th May 2012, 07:18 PM
G`day Patty.
Did the Canning in 08 with 6 vehicles 2 of us towed camper trailers did not have any issues.
We took 21 days to do it and we think even that was a bit fast. so a couple of tips keep the speed down, run low tire pressures we ran 18psi with no flats.
If you intend to travel quickly carry spare shockers F and R learn to 12volt weld carry small pieces of flat steel to make brackets and gussets, batt powered drill and angle grinder.
Also I carry ground pepper for any radiator leaks it works great. Apart from the above I would carry just the usual bits and pieces. The corrugations can be quiet server and for long stretches
so keep the weight down and travel slowly

Hey Pearcey how ya doing buddy,
Please explain the ground pepper mate, first time ive heard that one, and with your experience i am keen to know how this one works.

MudRunnerTD
25th May 2012, 07:30 PM
Please explain the ground pepper mate, first time ive heard that one, and with your experience i am keen to know how this one works.

The ground pepper will not dissolve and will work into any small pin holes and block the way similar to the chemi-weld stuff you buy from auto stores i believe.

Junk your HiLift Jack mate and buy an Exhaust jack instead, simply a safer, lighter more affective lifting device. 10/10

PattyWgnOwen
25th May 2012, 07:31 PM
I have done it - pepper will find its way to the leak and plug the hole. It stays hard unlike other things.
If the hole is bigger, cracking an egg into the radiator will work as well, because the egg finds its way to the hole and then goes rock hard as well. The pepper is good for tiny holes only like a weld crack rather than a stick hole?
if you have a stick hole, you can use metal putty, adn then seal any tiny leaks with pepper.

good tip for newbies though.

oncedisturbed
25th May 2012, 07:43 PM
never done the CSR or any long distance tracks but it's on the bucket list.

I am new to the patrols so getting the right spares such as filters, belts etc is a working progress.

At the moment the gear I have in the drawers include, torch, first aid kit, various tools such as spanners, sockets, screw drivers, allen keys etc, recovery kit with pulley's, shackkles, straps etc, foldable shovel, air compressor, tomahawk, gas cartridge burner / cooker, cookset, hexamine stove and hexi tabs, towel, rags, collapsable hikers kitchen sink (waits for the laughs), length of garden hose, fuses, cables and ties, mozzie spray, suncream, hi vis jacket and vest, battery lantern, emergency thermal blanket and I forgets what else.

Things yet to put in are my 2 man hikers tent and hikers sleeping bag, small tarp, filters / belts etc

I know there is more that I have in the rig and yet to put so I will update this list when I remember or check the rig

pearcey
25th May 2012, 08:22 PM

Pete how you going mate.
yes the prpper works as has be told by others here and its good to see there are some good hints coming through.
One good thing about pepper is the radiator repairers love it as it is very easy to clean out when a repair is required not like trying to remove a boiled egg, or most of the commercial stop leak products.
One other thing I did not mention is that I try to only carry things that have 2 or more uses which is a way to reduce the weight . Weight is the biggest enemy of off road travel

DX grunt
27th May 2012, 06:32 AM
This is my favourite....Maxtrax (this is Version 1) and a shovel, of course
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/DXgruntandMaxtrax005.jpg

I've also heard of a couple of strips of carpet work too (can double up as a 'ground sheet' for the swag). Never tried that myself though, but would be doing a trial run in controlled conditions before I attempted it out there.

Off subject a little bit.....I'm a firm believer in driving to the conditions. You shouldn't be driving your troll like you stole it, or doing a TV advert.

PPPPPP as been mentioned before. Plan your trip and allow extra time for anything unexpected.

growler2058
27th May 2012, 06:47 AM

I've also heard of a couple of strips of carpet work too (can double up as a 'ground sheet' for the swag). Never tried that myself though, but would be doing a trial run in controlled conditions before I attempted it out there.

Off subject a little bit.....I'm a firm believer in driving to the conditions. You shouldn't be driving your troll like you stole it, or doing a TV advert.

PPPPP as been mentioned before. Plan your trip and allow extra time for anything unexpected.

Ya missed a "P" rossco

Tapp tillya Crap

pearcey
27th May 2012, 05:56 PM
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/DXgruntandMaxtrax005.jpg

PPPPPP as been mentioned before. Plan your trip and allow extra time for anything unexpected.

G`day DX
Have seen these jiggers used and would recommend that a long, strong rope be tied to them as they disappear into the depths due to wheel spin and then are hard retrieve but with a rope attached its allot easier.

DX grunt
27th May 2012, 06:50 PM
G`day DX
Have seen these jiggers used and would recommend that a long, strong rope be tied to them as they disappear into the depths due to wheel spin and then are hard retrieve but with a rope attached its allot easier.

Version 2 has the rope or something similar, and a bit of a design change. Thanks. Rossco

oncedisturbed
27th May 2012, 10:55 PM
besides the 6 P's also take into account the KISS principle - Keep It Simple Stupid - the more exotic or unnecassary things you do to your rig or needless gear you take will nearly always end up in a mess

Crankshaft
31st May 2012, 10:09 AM
Although I have not used much on my own car or caravan I have helped others and it gives me the confidence to travel to interesting, fun and remote places.

Actually maybe I have, Just thinking about it, I once held an engine in place between two jacks and the mud guards after the mounts failed, I have replaced a couple of wheel bearings on the side of the road , welded up a spare battery bracket, welded the end on a Tie rod on my sons GQ,

You can break someting and have an issue doing the Monkey Gum fire trail at Yalwal or the Oodnadatta or the Gibb River.

The baby chainsaw is great I have been temporarily stopped by a tree at Lloydes siding near Dorrigo Some of the FT's near Goulburn but its best for FIREWOOD.

Most of the stuff goes in a larger metal tool box and weighs about 25 KG.

My tool list Tools ( and I have this list on the computer because I suffer badly from CRAFT) (Cant Remmember A Flamin Thing)

Sockets
Metric spanners
Imperial spanners
Pliers
Screwdrivers
Chisel/punch
Baby chainsaw and bits
Visegips
Allen keys
Ball pien hammer
43mm hub nut socket
Multgrips
LPG torch
Solder
24 volt stick welder kit
Tyre levers / pipe
Tyre patch from the inside
Tyre plug kit
Battery drill / drills
Angle grinder
Small multimeter
Air jack
hydraulic jack
Screw jack
Blocks of wood
Baby chainsaw and bits
¾ axe with full handle
Air compressor
Head torch
Jumper leads
Leather gloves

My supplies list
Radiator hose s
Silastic
Tek screws
Araldite
Contact glue
Electrical tape
Gaffer tape
Small bolt and washer selection
Fuses
A couple of sizes of tie wire
About 5 metres of electrical wire
6mm fuel line
8mm fuel line
Selection of hose clamps
Epoxy metal putty
2 metres of 3mm chain +3 mm locks
Tub of grease
5 litres of oil
500 ml of brake fluid
2 stroke fuel
Chainsaw oil
WD40
spare ford whell bearing
Spare holden wheel bearing
Wheel and axle nuts

Cuppa
6th June 2012, 10:11 PM
Re. Max Trax - I've seen a few folk recommend these things, but boy thet are pretty expensive for two pieces of moulded plastic. I'l probably eventually convince myself to get some, but I really can't see how their price can be justified. Is it really because nothing else is as light or does the job as well?

Cuppa

Rip'n'Shred
6th June 2012, 10:53 PM
Great list crankshaft. Cheers, I might use that.

moose maverick
23rd June 2012, 11:15 PM
That list is awesome crankshaft not much would stop you short of throwing a leg out of bed.
Hey cuppa, a cheaper and somewhat effective substitute for max trax is a couple of hessian bags filled with small branches etc, the bags pack up nice and small. Super cheap also sell some rubber roll out type max traxy type things.

Finly Owner
24th June 2012, 10:24 PM
Have done Simpson and read the aboveand watch Action 4WD. You will need extra fuel, long distance between fuel stops. Suggest enough drinking water to survive 5 days if stranded plus what you need per day I think it's recommended 10L/day. This can be topped up at stops that have water. You need to be self sufficent with cooking method by gas etc. Keep clothing to minimium but have both summer and winter clothes. Hot days cold nights. Because you are travelling through some aboriginal areas, you may not be allowed to have a petrol chainsaw, so I recomend just an axe to cut some fire wood. A good toolbox of mechanical tools. Exhaust jack would be lighter than hi-lift. Air compressor is a must. Shovel. Two torches.

We took two spares wheels and needed none. Shocks were taken and used two sets of spares. Spare light bulbs of all types, fan belts, thermostat, gasket paper and sealant make a good choice of spares.

Tim

HammerBuilder
31st July 2012, 09:42 PM
Thanx guys this is been good reading as a few us down here are doing a postie bike run from cairns to the cape in sept so this will be a great start for us in our trols.
Keep up the good ideas

Cheers

PattyWgnOwen
31st July 2012, 10:23 PM
Good list crankshaft. Not sure where the Holden and ford bearings go in a Nissan though??? Learnt a few tips so was worthwhile. Starting thread.

Owen.

HammerBuilder
15th October 2012, 09:37 PM
Got back from the cape n all I needed was a wash n fuel, I bought a $20 snorkel sock Uni Filter brand n washed it out each night after setting up camp n man every-1 was amazed just how much dirt was coming out each day even though I was only second car in convoy. they checked theirs after 3 days as they were sitting way too close behind me & had to change their filters n blow them out bout 8 times over 3 weeks & I have gone from Cairns to cape then back to Lismore NSW then on to Bathurst n back n my main filter is still clean with bugger all dust in it. so If I was to buy anything it'd be another snorkel sock as it saved me heaps of fuel n drama's. My average over the 6n abit thousand k's towing 1500kg trailer with 2500kg rig n gear was 13.4ltrs per 100km's. 1997 GQ 2.8td manual Patrol done well I thought.

monty
23rd October 2012, 10:10 PM
Hi,
something I never see mentioned in spares list - relays. If they go phutt (not often I guess) you stop. They weigh nothing and are small, but important,
cheers and happing tripping. Monty

threedogs
24th October 2012, 08:19 AM
Maf sensor cleaner, decent jacking plate.Could take the complete Nissan spares Dept,
depending where're going, fuel and air filters.

NP99
14th February 2013, 09:38 PM
........and tyre repair plugs!
Also a tool roll with a few basics under the seat

phtest
15th September 2014, 12:39 PM
Didn't know about the pepper.. Good to know.

garett
11th March 2015, 09:27 PM
you guys seen/used silicone rescue tape ? handy stuff, can patch brake lines coolant lines etc. other wise i carry jumper leads, carby cleaner, lanox, gaffa tape, and basic tools

lucus30
11th March 2015, 09:30 PM
you guys seen/used silicone rescue tape ? handy stuff, can patch brake lines coolant lines etc. other wise i carry jumper leads, carby cleaner, lanox, gaffa tape, and basic tools

Yeah I carry some rescue tape around. Can even make fan belts with it if your stuck

AB
11th March 2015, 09:44 PM
I know the list is endless but don't disregard hose clamps of various sizes.

I've saved myself with hoses and also clamping up broken mounts.

One of our earlier trips when a member broke his exhaust mount.

I had a spare 3" clamp and it not only kept the convoy going the member probably still has it clamped on today ;)

Winnie
11th March 2015, 09:51 PM

We tried that stuff with a punctured brake hose and it could not cope with the pressure.

garett
11th March 2015, 10:04 PM
really, done quite a few ba falcon brake lines, did you clean the fluid off with brake cleaner ? then wrap it nice and tight with lots of tape. I only drove them to the workshop not very far