PDA

View Full Version : Ripley SSAA Rifle Range Sunday 22 April 2012

Silver
20th April 2012, 10:06 PM
G'day,

I'll be heading up to the range on Sunday morning, aiming to get there about 10:00. If there are forumites, licensed or not, interested then I'd be happy to meet you up there.

It is located at "Stewartdale" Property, 1494 Ripley Road, South Ripley. - there are a few other clubs/ranges there, just look for the SSAA sign- it is the furthest one in. Coming up from Springfield you turn left onto the road to South Ripley, go past the end of the tar, and the entry is clearly signed on the left a couple of Ks in, near a big dam. A couple more Ks gets you to the range.

There is provision under the law for unlicensed shooters to shoot under supervision - I can supervise you with my 22 or a centrefire (once I get the 22s sorted)

Macca86 is also aiming to be there.

I don't know whether it is possible to hire firearms at Ripley - and of course licensed shooters are able to bring their own.

If I get out of bed in time, I may also pack an under and over 12g to shoot some clays - I haven't used the set up there but it looks good.

There are some fairly moderate range fees - under $20 for range fee and targets, and .22 ammo among other calibres can be purchased there. Not sure how much to use the clay thrower, for clays and crackers.

Sausage rolls and pies are available for the health conscious :clownredpuff:

Anyway, if you are interested post something here so we have some idea of numbers, esp of unlicensed chaps and chappettes who need supervision, and look forward to seeing you there.

I'm fat and 50, beard and glasses, and I'll keep a bit of an eye out.

Rick

Silver
22nd April 2012, 08:47 PM
Had a great day out at the range with Steve/Macca86.

It was terribly busy due to the calm weather conditions. We had to wait 20 minutes for a bench :-)

The absence of bree2e made sighting in nice and crui2y, got both rimfires sorted including the BRNO with its new scope, and confirmed the six and a half is shooting well under minute of pig. Now I have to do my bit :-).

It was great swapping tricks and tips with Steve, who soon had his rifle shooting to his satisfaction as well.

Looking forward to doing it again. Although if I see that bloke out there with the mu22le braked 300 Remington Ultra Mag in tasty laminated blue stock, I might make sure I move a few more bays away. No word of a lie, the mu22le blast shredded a sign on a post about 1 metre perpendicular to the mu22le. Talk about a big boomer. Mild load, .30 caliber, 200 grains, 3000 feet per second.

What was cool was a bloke with a lever action black powder rifle firing the ancestor of the 30/30. Because of the perfect conditions he blew a few smoke rings which looked spectacular rising slowly againslt the blue sky expanding to a bit less than a metre.

Rick

Woof
22nd April 2012, 09:06 PM
Get any photos Rick?

Silver
22nd April 2012, 09:35 PM
Get any photos Rick?

Ooooops................. hangs head in shame :-/