PDA

View Full Version : Rubber strips between guard & plastic wheel arch

jackwalks
20th April 2012, 09:23 PM
Hiya Everyone,

Pardon my stupidity. The rubber strip that is in place between the guards & wheel archs peels away at the lower ends. I can put them back in place, but after a small amount of driving they will seperate again. Will I have any further problems if I use a super glu or similar to glu the tips back in their resess.

I hope the pics below explain my situation.

Thankyou for your advice

dan&tamspatrol
20th April 2012, 09:28 PM
the fella i bought my gu off has removed them and gap filled it its sweet so dont see any problem with glue

Finly Owner
20th April 2012, 09:44 PM
Use a good quality contact adhesive. The type that you spread on both surfaces and allow to dry before sticking both together. That is a better way.

Tim

04OFF
20th April 2012, 10:23 PM
The main thing is to clean all the dirt off the two surfaces you intend to glue, thinners on a rag works well, bit of heat from a heat gun (or hairdryer) will allow you to get/stretch them back to the right length if they have shrunk a little, then i found a good quality super glue did work best, id imagine Sikaflex would also be a good product to use.

jackwalks
20th April 2012, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the replies & good ideas. I was just looking in my tool box & found some araldite, but I like the contact adhesive & sikaflex ideas. I didnt even think about the gap filler idea, I think with my steady hands, if I was to use gap filler, it might look like sign writing along the black plastics.

Thankyou for the tips

Adam

Robo
21st April 2012, 02:36 AM
Araldite softens with heat, black rubber can get hot in summer, may pose a problem may not.

flemj
22nd April 2012, 07:31 PM
Hi Jack walks,

If you email Nissbits on here he can get you the rubber trim at a good price.

John

mick.
22nd April 2012, 07:59 PM
I agree see Nizzbits. I bought a whole set off Garry for my GU recently when I resprayed it and it looks heaps better then trying to dodge up the old ones.

If you decide to use urethane don't use Sika as it's rubbish. Teroson sealers are heaps better to use.

http://www.loctite.com.au/aue/content_data/87866_Teroson_Brochure.pdf

Cheers Mick.

Robo
23rd April 2012, 01:55 AM
I agree see Nizzbits. I bought a whole set off Garry for my GU recently when I resprayed it and it looks heaps better then trying to dodge up the old ones.

If you decide to use urethane don't use Sika as it's rubbish. Teroson sealers are heaps better to use.

http://www.loctite.com.au/aue/content_data/87866_Teroson_Brochure.pdf

Cheers Mick.

Bro why is sikaflex rubbish?.

BearGUST
23rd April 2012, 07:51 AM
I just reshaped and set mine with a heat gun, worked well.

Sir Roofy
23rd April 2012, 08:27 AM
if you knock of your flares and want to stick your rubbers back on
found liquid nails the best

Tobes
23rd April 2012, 10:17 AM
I have the same problem, thanks for the tips guys

mick.
23rd April 2012, 05:17 PM
Bro why is sikaflex rubbish?.I use about 100 tubes of sealer a month building horse floats. The joins have to look neat, be able to spread it evenly with wax and grease remover, not crack over time, not go yellow (the white goes yellow within a couple of weeks) and be able to be painted over within a couple of hours, Sikaflex doesn't pass any of these tests. Not to mention it has a very limited shelf life. When I was a paint rep we used to sell both Sika and Teroson. None of our customers ever went back to Sika after using Teroson. About 80% of sales to panel shops these days are Teroson and the other 20% are shared between Sika, Bostik, and 3M. Sika is using 20 year old technology which doesn't help.

Cheers Mick.

Robo
23rd April 2012, 05:31 PM
Going to talk with my b/inlaw about this, second opinion doc, lol.
Which brand of horse floats do ya seal up with this stuff.

mudski
10th May 2012, 06:52 PM
I use about 100 tubes of sealer a month building horse floats. The joins have to look neat, be able to spread it evenly with wax and grease remover, not crack over time, not go yellow (the white goes yellow within a couple of weeks) and be able to be painted over within a couple of hours, Sikaflex doesn't pass any of these tests. Not to mention it has a very limited shelf life..
Strange this as I have used black Sikaflex on my trailer about five years ago. Still hasn't cracked. Sikaflex is a brilliant product when used where it's made for.
My 2c.

mick.
10th May 2012, 08:32 PM
It cracks when you have paint over the top of it which is what your supposed to be able to do. Check out any truck or horse float thats had sealer on it and then painted over. It's total rubbish compared to the better brands but when your not exposed to the better brands you will never know. It's the same as saying a Ford Falcon has excellent build quality. It may do compared to a Hyundai Excel but compare it the a Lexus then it's pretty ordinary. I've been in the smash repair industry for many years and was even a rep who sold sikaflex among other brands so I've probably more more experience then most guys on this forum when it comes to Automotive paints, sealers, glues, tapes etc.

mudski
10th May 2012, 11:34 PM
Nice analogy...I won't get into pointless arguments but there is more than one type of Sikaflex...Its a great product for the application I have used it for without any issues. But it all depends of the application.

mick.
11th May 2012, 06:27 AM
Nice analogy...I won't get into pointless arguments but there is more than one type of Sikaflex...Its a great product for the application I have used it for without any issues. But it all depends of the application.Yep your right about 50 types in the automotive and marine alone which I've used or sold about 90% of them. I'm just setting the record straight that there are a lot better products out there that work 10 times better then the stuff bunning sell. Most people would only see the small range that bunnings sell.

Gas_Guzzler4800
11th May 2012, 07:12 AM
I have the same problem. How were these rubbers actually fixed from the factory? Did nissan use a glue?

NP99
16th May 2013, 02:33 AM
I have the same problem. How were these rubbers actually fixed from the factory? Did nissan use a glue?

Bump......that's a good question!

taslucas
16th May 2013, 08:03 AM
Pretty sure they were just held in place with fasteners (screws/plugs etc)?

mudski
16th May 2013, 09:02 AM
if its for a GU they just clip in.

threedogs
16th May 2013, 09:08 AM
4x4 shops use PVC glue {blue} to hold them on, or any contact cement , or thick CA super glue
for that small bit, use 6" steel rule to position properly
They are then held in place with strips of masking tape till cured/set

Wizard52
16th May 2013, 01:22 PM
After talking to a spray painter who drives a toy... 4X4 and works on all types as well, I just took them out all together so I can hose out sand and salt that gets caught up in there. I was surprised how much crap was there when I took them out and have not bothered to replace them. Now easier to keep clean and see if rusts starts. Put the strips in cupboard just in case I get sucidial and want to sell the best ute I have ever owned.

taslucas
16th May 2013, 02:23 PM
Are we talking about the large bit of rubber between the tyre and engine bay or the very thing strip that goes between the factory flares and the body work??

Edit: ok the thread title says the later but not sure if everyone was on the same page, lol I wasn't!

threedogs
16th May 2013, 02:38 PM
@ wizard52 Put the strip of rubber back in as the flare will wear a groove into the paint work, Highly recommend you re fit rubber strip
@ lucas I'm thinking the small rubber strip on the flare itself as per OP pic

taslucas
16th May 2013, 02:42 PM
@ wizard52 Put the strip of rubber back in as the flare will wear a groove into the paint work, Highly recommend you re fit rubber strip
@ lucas I'm thinking the small rubber strip on the flare itself as per OP pic

Yep I just figured that out. Sorry for the useless posts everyone!

mick.
18th May 2013, 10:00 AM
Bump......that's a good question!It's .5mm 3m double sided tape from memory.

Cheers Mick