PDA

View Full Version : Coleman Instant Up Tent

Parra
20th April 2012, 12:13 PM
Hey guys,

We are currently looking for a new tent (ok, so maybe A tent!) Ive currently got a $19 big w tent that i used to go camping with some mates out and about. Apparently the wifes not a fan of it (sure, it leaks, has no room and is pretty flimsy - but its got character :wink:)

has anyone had any experience with these colemans? ive seen a few vids on youtube about them and had a look at one in BCF ($290ish)

could anyone recommend any others for around $300 that are pretty easy to put up and have enough room for a wife + staffy?

I appreciate the feedback!

macca
20th April 2012, 12:24 PM
If you are near Sydney the camping show at RoseHill starts tomorrow, good chance to check out what they are like.
Cheers Macca

Silver
20th April 2012, 12:27 PM
We have a bigger Coleman for longer stays - a Geolander 6. It seems well made, easy enough to put up, and we are happy with it. 2 adults and a 7 year old.

for overnighters we use a 9x9 centre pole tent - pretty squashy, but a deliberate choice to minimise gear and set up time. Some people call them touring tents. If someone has a cold or for whatever reason, I sometimes also take an easy up tunnel tent - one of those tents that you kinda twist to put back in the bag.

oncedisturbed
20th April 2012, 01:41 PM
If you go to anaconda, have a look at the kimberly 9 touring tent. Good canvas and very quick to set up, roll out, 4 pegs and a centre pole. You can get an internal side pole kit so nothing is in the way.

we have the 9+ which is a bit bigger but still fairly quick to set up.

The 9 is around $300 and the 9+ is around $650 but on special we got ours for $300.

It fits me, the wife, munchkin, small dog, bags plus still room for small food boxes etc as well

Maxhead
20th April 2012, 02:30 PM
If you go to anaconda, have a look at the kimberly 9 touring tent. Good canvas and very quick to set up, roll out, 4 pegs and a centre pole. You can get an internal side pole kit so nothing is in the way.

we have the 9+ which is a bit bigger but still fairly quick to set up.

The 9 is around $300 and the 9+ is around $650 but on special we got ours for $300.

It fits me, the wife, munchkin, small dog, bags plus still room for small food boxes etc as well

Agree, these are a brilliant tent. takes next to no time to put up and heaps of room. I used mine for years and wouldn't change.

Timbo on here has a similar tent to the Coleman, if he sees this thread he might comment on good/bad....

Good luck with the choice mate, it's all about getting out and about :)

bordertech
6th May 2012, 01:10 AM
The Coleman Instasets aren't bad for the money but I prefer the Black Wolf turbo tents

04OFF
12th May 2012, 12:33 AM
I use a large version Coleman instant tent , at 10 X 14 foot , its huge , great for family and gear, 3min set up with 2 people, id say a Black Wolf Turbo canvas tent would be a much better quality tent for sure, but i dont recall they come that big , and anyway, if i had that sort of money to spend, id just stay in hotels (ha-ha)

Parra
28th May 2012, 03:55 PM
thanks for the comments guys. we ended up shopping around different camping stores around brissy and tried out a few tents. ended up sticking with the coleman instant up (though we went for the 6p over the 4p, as there is SOO much more room in the 6!)

$285 all up, which was $5 more than the 4person at BCF.

havent taken it out for real yet, but we did set it up at home and i have to say - too easy! looks and feels pretty solid, so i guess we will see how it goes for real!

thanks again.

rottodiver
18th March 2013, 09:25 PM
Any updates on this tent nearly a year later
Scotty

04OFF
19th March 2013, 12:30 AM
Brilliant tent, and i still love mine,i dont think i could ever own anything that takes longer than 3 mins to put up.

But....... i do NOT recommend anyone buys a "Coleman" version, as i found out that NO spare parts are available in Australia, so once you are out of warrany, you are on your own, and getting parts out of the US for them is not real easy either.

It should be against the law to sell such products , and not sell any parts ! :mad:

threedogs
19th March 2013, 12:36 AM
If anyone in Melb wants a big tent ,to suit a family Pm going very very cheap,
I even have some new in box still

Cuppa
19th March 2013, 06:57 PM
I have a Southern Cross Canvas Tourer tent which is very quick & easy to put up. We don't use it any more, but would want $500 for it. Pm me with your email address if interested & i can send some photos & further info.

Cuppa

mopper
21st July 2013, 07:27 PM
would appreciate more feedback on coleman instant tent rom BCF....im about to buy !!!

threedogs
21st July 2013, 07:30 PM
Do you have a pic of what they look like??

Drewboyaus
21st July 2013, 09:49 PM
Brilliant tent, and i still love mine,i dont think i could ever own anything that takes longer than 3 mins to put up.

But....... i do NOT recommend anyone buys a "Coleman" version, as i found out that NO spare parts are available in Australia, so once you are out of warrany, you are on your own, and getting parts out of the US for them is not real easy either.

It should be against the law to sell such products , and not sell any parts ! :mad:

Reading this, I suspect the answer is don't buy a Coleman.
There are others though, Black Wolf (the original of that style), OZ Tent make one, Oz Trail, heck, just about everyone has had a go at copying the design. Go and have a look at the quality of the canvas, the floor, the flexible elbows, poles and see which you like best.
For me I tend to buy Black Wolf gear because its bloody good and lasts. It's a bit more than some to buy but I generally have a buy it once philosophy.
Cheers,
Drew

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....

MudMap
7th October 2013, 11:16 AM
Hi All,

We have the Coleman Instant tent. Very easy to set up goes up in a couple of minutes. Good for families. Only down side I would say is that it is cold for winter camping. So I would not recommend it if you like camping in the colder months. But if you are after a reasonably priced tent that is super easy set up and you mainly camp in peak season this one is a good option.

Cheers,
Maria

MudMap
7th October 2013, 11:22 AM
Do you have a pic of what they look like??

Here is a pic of the Coleman tent taken at Coopers Creek Campground.

dannnnn
7th May 2014, 09:44 PM
i've got one of these and love it. i am sure that a blackwolf or oztent would be better, but they cost 4x as much for a similar size tent. i have a 6p and it is very spacious for me and the missus. we fit 2x "king single" size air beds with room down the side to store stuff, and plenty of stuff at the front of the tent as well. a few comments

* it can be a little hard to fit into the bag. i don't know if i'm just packing it up wrong, and the bag has compression straps which simplifies it.. but i hate having to fight with a tent bag!!
* it's not canvas so it might not be the best tent to take on a super long trip, but it's fine for holidays/weekends
* there is a "half fly" version where the fly doesn't come all the way to the floor of the tent.... avoid avoid avoid. you want the full fly in an australian rain storm.
* it's packs up pretty big!! it's longer than the wheel arches in my GQ
* it's fantastic how quick it goes up. it takes longer to hammer the pegs in than it does to get the tent up!

Ronin
8th May 2014, 11:49 AM
The Oztrail is for 349 now . http://www.campingcentral.com.au/products/OZtrail-Tourer-9-Plus-Canvas-Touring-Tent.html

jay see
10th June 2014, 01:46 AM
We had a 6x3x1.8 3 room dome tent which lasted about 7 years, once that died we looked at something that didn't take at least 2 people and an hour to set up. Yes wolf may be better but not at that price. We ended up with a Coleman up 4, enough room for our queen mattress and bags inside and some room outside under the fly.As for being cold we do all our camping winter. A good rating sleeping bag with thermals (just top for me Mrs has top and bottom)and our mattress is 50cm off the ground. We are getting another one for the kids. If a 13 and 10 year old can do it in under 20 min from start to finish first time, that shows how easy it is.