PDA

View Full Version : How to catch Yabbies and Shrimp - Bait

AB
19th April 2012, 07:46 PM
The old days as kids using the bit of stinky meat tied to the bit of string and trying to slowly pull it in and flinging it over your head at the last minute to only hit your mate in the face are long gone...LMAO

The best way to get shrimp for bait (if legal in your part of the world) is to put a bar of environmentally safe phosphate-free soap in the Opera house net.

Shrimp and Yabbies love it. Easy bait as well!!!

You can also use some stinky rotten meat for the Yabbies.

Now, I heard a story from a forum member up at Loveday that the reason Yabbies are attracted to soap and meat is that they hate it and they are trying to get to it to then take it away from their homes.

I have never heard that before....Can anyone confirm this???

Opera house net below...

http://www.aussiedisposals.com.au/catalog/images/075---yabby-net.jpg

the evil twin
19th April 2012, 07:58 PM
Nah... Yab's will eat almost anything. They are just coming for a feed. The oils etc in soap fool 'em into thinking it is tucker.

I caught a big feed a few weeks ago on 2 fresh chicken necks but just about anything will work, pet food, soap, potato, road kill. Pretty much haven't found anything they won't eat yet.

the ferret
19th April 2012, 08:04 PM
They love chook pellets, that brings the yabbies in
Cheers, the ferret.

growler2058
19th April 2012, 08:04 PM
Well google seems to think tabs are vegetarians and I believe everything I read on the net hahahahahahha

Tappin N Crappin

taslucas
19th April 2012, 08:17 PM
I have never eaten a yabby. I would love to try one. We get em down here but they're real small, they're the ones that's make little mud chimneys in real muddy areas around creeks.
Eaten a good few fresh water lobsters (obviously before they were illegal to touch!!) and Crayfish and crabs pale in comparison compared to them. But I'd imagine a yabby would be similar, being fresh water.....

tappin it

AB
19th April 2012, 08:37 PM
Yabbies are good eating. I know someone who pickles them too and done right they taste even better!

taslucas
19th April 2012, 08:56 PM
Yabbies are good eating. I know someone who pickles them too and done right they taste even better!

Wow that sounds different!

tappin it

growler2058
19th April 2012, 08:59 PM
I know someone who chucks em live onto coals so ya can hear them scream and they taste yuuuuummmmmmooooooooooooooooooooo

macca86
19th April 2012, 09:21 PM
Blue and red claw love the honey dew and rock melon we used that while in rocky with full nets coming back up was nice

Winnie
19th April 2012, 09:31 PM
Never heard of using soap, will have to try it!
When we drop yabby nets in the Morwell River we always end up with eels.

growler2058
19th April 2012, 09:47 PM
Soap over Easter Caught ship loads more than sausage

Tappin N Crappin

taslucas
19th April 2012, 10:07 PM
Soap over Easter Caught ship loads more than sausage

Tappin N Crappin

I guess you don't have to wash them lol

tappin it

Silver
19th April 2012, 11:13 PM
don't leave traps baited with soap in for too long - I did that in a bore drain out near Bourke, and when cooked up the yabbies tasted of Sunlight Soap - and on that basis I reckon they were eating it.

Macka is spot on with redclaw bait. you can also put cat food pellets into 300ml orange juice bottles and cable tie them into the traps - drill a few holes in the bottle, of course :-) Others use par boiled spuds, lucerne cubes, and pillies.

Check the regs for what kind of traps are legal in your area. I don't think the one in AB's picture above would be legal in QLD. Up here there is a specific si2e for the inner end of the tunnel, and it has to be rigid - usually with a steel ring. Meant to keep turtles out, apparently.

Taslucas, a mate has those yabbies on dry land around a spring at his place in Healesville in Victoria. I also saw a fascinating doco about them on TV - ok, I'm easily amused, but truly, it was interesting.

taslucas
20th April 2012, 10:02 PM
Taslucas, a mate has those yabbies on dry land around a spring at his place in Healesville in Victoria. I also saw a fascinating doco about them on TV - ok, I'm easily amused, but truly, it was interesting.

Does he eat them? It's near impossible to catch one....I've never even seen one out of it's hole around home. I think they're fairly small anyway?

tappin it

the ferret
20th April 2012, 10:26 PM
Most of the Yabbies I've seen in victoria are about 3 to 5 inches long and are a greeny colour, very yummy
here in the west, we call them jilgies, they grow upto about 9 inches and are a very dark blue almost black.
We also have the Marron, looks just like a jilgie but grows to over a foot, very similar to your redclaw.
Mate, these are better than any cray.
http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt164/ferret/Marron20in20trap.jpg

Silver
20th April 2012, 10:35 PM
Does he eat them? It's near impossible to catch one....I've never even seen one out of it's hole around home. I think they're fairly small anyway?

tappin it

G'day Taslucas, I think we are talking about the 'land yabbies' linked here

http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/fisheries/education-and-training/fish-species/freshwater-fish-of-victoria-yabbies

taslucas
20th April 2012, 10:42 PM
Yum they look like good eating ferret!

And thanks for the link silver the land yabbies that are mentioned right at the end are definitely the ones around home.....chimney building and really small. sneaky little nocturnal buggers, no wonder I haven't ever seen one.

tappin it

the ferret
20th April 2012, 11:15 PM
Yum they look like good eating ferret!

And thanks for the link silver the land yabbies that are mentioned right at the end are definitely the ones around home.....chimney building and really small. sneaky little nocturnal buggers, no wonder I haven't ever seen one.

tappin it
These are even better, they are in fresh water in the NW of WA, this is the Cherabin, plenty in Lake Kunanurra.
I gotta tell ya they are yum!!
http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt164/ferret/cherabin.jpg
TOP FERRET BAIT TOO!!

macca86
21st April 2012, 09:47 AM
Now I want crays and I'm in brisbane now. where does one go to get these yummy treats. Under rated by so many like most fresh water fish. I would much rather a good yellow belly or eel tail catfish over bream any day

Silver
21st April 2012, 01:11 PM
Hey Macca, Nth Pine dam has shore accessible red claws - and you can fish for snub nose gar, and other freshwater suspects - the only issue can be a bit of company and the need to guard against sharefarmers.

I haven't been looking for ages, but Ausfish is not a bad Qld fishing forum and would have info on whether they are still active - I think they would be.

They are in a lot of the dams around here, and if that is all you are fishing for, you don't need a stocked impoundment permit.

megatexture
23rd April 2012, 12:31 AM
we would use a kewi fruit bag or onion bag and tie a rope to it and put in off milk chunks and leave it a hr and pull up heaps of red claws at tinnaroo dam

wouldnot
16th March 2013, 05:02 PM
I had a yabbie in a tank. It never tried getting rid of meat, it ate it.

NP99
17th March 2013, 01:12 AM
Hey Macca, Nth Pine dam has shore accessible red claws - and you can fish for snub nose gar, and other freshwater suspects - the only issue can be a bit of company and the need to guard against sharefarmers.

I haven't been looking for ages, but Ausfish is not a bad Qld fishing forum and would have info on whether they are still active - I think they would be.

They are in a lot of the dams around here, and if that is all you are fishing for, you don't need a stocked impoundment permit.

I think the no need for SIP only applies to redclaw

gaddy
17th March 2013, 09:36 PM
Had our first go at getting a feed of yabbies this weekend at summer set dam had a ball we ended up with about 200 between us , the kids loved it , had them wit garlic butter , also done with chilli and garlic , and some boiled , will be doing this again very soon . Great tucker and feed 23 people for lunch sat and sun ,

Steve