PDA

View Full Version : How to catch the big Murray Cod

AB
19th April 2012, 07:29 PM
Just a little trick that I learnt many moons ago that works a treat!

Go get yourself a Bardi grub cheese mould and melt some Mozzarella cheese in them, wait to set and you got one of the best baits around for catching the big one.

Go find a nice hole in the Murray and enjoy!!!

Feel free to post up any other tricks you know.

http://www.northerncampingfishing.com.au/image/cache/cheese1-500x500.jpg

Heat small amount of mozzarella cheese for approximately 30 seconds in the microwave, stir cheese the spread open mould and pour in cheese. Use a blunt object to assist pushing cheese into each end of the mould, then place mould in fridge for 5 to 10 minutes. (Note:- Aniseed etc. can be added to melted cheese for extra scent if required.) Once cheese has set & cooled, spread open mould and extract cheese grub, cut off any excess cheese. Cheese grubs are extremely flexible at room temp. Store in fridge or freezer until ready for use. When fishing keep cheese grubs in esky until use. Then allow grub to heat up until flexible. The Cheese Grub can then be treaded on to most hook pattern without breaking.

the ferret
19th April 2012, 07:32 PM
Believe it or not, a quick spray with CRC on the bait works a treat, don't ask me why.
Cheers, the ferret.

Bob
19th April 2012, 07:34 PM
just a little trick that i learnt many moons ago that works a treat!

Go get yourself a bardi grub cheese mould and melt some mozzarella cheese in them, wait to set and you got one of the best baits around for catching the big one.

Go find a nice hole in the murray and enjoy!!!

Feel free to post up any other tricks you now.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/

add some aniseed to make it more attractive.

Have checked with the authorities and it is quite legal

Maxhead
Works a treat on trout as well. We used to put in a bit of garlic or aniseed oil in the cheese when melting and its dynamite....LOLOLOLOLL
then of course you eat the bait when you finished fishing...hahahah

AB
I was going to say that too...beat me to it...lol...Not sure why either mate but they love it!!!....Almost like a small burly type entice.

dan&tamspatrol
what on earth made you spray that on bait

dan&tamspatrol
19th April 2012, 07:35 PM
that was meant for the ferret

the evil twin
19th April 2012, 07:37 PM
what on earth made you spray that on bait

Stops the hooks rusting away waiting for a bite... it takes me so long to catch a fish I don't want him to get tetnus from a rusty hook. :devilred:

For teh saltwater if the Sand Lice are around soaking your bait in kerosene keeps the lice away and doesn't bother the fish.

growler2058
19th April 2012, 07:38 PM
WD40 and the like are fish oil based that may have something to do with its fish luvin it

dan&tamspatrol
19th April 2012, 07:41 PM
WD40 and the like are fish oil based that may have something to do with its fish luvin it
yea fair enough

Sir Roofy
19th April 2012, 07:47 PM
just a little trick that i learnt many moons ago that works a treat!

Go get yourself a bardi grub cheese mould and melt some mozzarella cheese in them, wait to set and you got one of the best baits around for catching the big one.

Go find a nice hole in the murray and enjoy!!!

heat small amount of mozzarella cheese for approximately 30 seconds in the microwave, stir cheese the spread open mould and pour in cheese. Use a blunt object to assist pushing cheese into each end of the mould, then place mould in fridge for 5 to 10 minutes. (note:- aniseed etc. Can be added to melted cheese for extra scent if required.) once cheese has set & cooled, spread open mould and extract cheese grub, cut off any excess cheese. Cheese grubs are extremely flexible at room temp. Store in fridge or freezer until ready for use. When fishing keep cheese grubs in esky until use. Then allow grub to heat up until flexible. The cheese grub can then be treaded on to most hook pattern without breaking.

ok sounds good where did you get it from ,the mould that is

AB
19th April 2012, 07:49 PM
There's a fishing store in healesville that has them. I would think most finishing stores should have them mate.

Anaconda might, Complete Angler stores would surely have them I would think.

the ferret
19th April 2012, 07:56 PM
Ah well, for the non believers, I have a mate in Vic, he uses CRC most of the time.
Yep, made from fish oil!!
When noone else is catching any he does.
I have even tried it here in the west for Dhu fish, it works.
But don't just take my word for it, try it!!
Cheers, the ferret

megatexture
23rd April 2012, 12:53 AM
you can always use a tennis ball size chunk of sodium and wrap it in a towel nice and tight that way it sinks a bit before water soaks in and sets it off
:blowup:
if ones there you can pick up the plate size fillets with a net ready to cook if they arnt already!:bananarock:

megatexture
23rd April 2012, 01:03 AM
you can always use a tennis ball size chunk of sodium and wrap it in a towel nice and tight that way it sinks a bit before water soaks in and sets it off
:blowup:
if ones there you can pick up the plate size fillets with a net ready to cook if they arnt already!

paulasandmark
28th April 2012, 02:09 PM
thanks for the tip on the crc hubby feeds the fish... So will get him to try this

oil can harry
16th May 2012, 10:18 AM
Believe it or not, a quick spray with CRC on the bait works a treat, don't ask me why.
Cheers, the ferret.
CRC to some extent and WD 40 moreso are made with fish oil as an ingredient. We use them here to spray on our lures when we fish at nite in the Everglades.

stevogq
30th October 2012, 06:15 PM
crc-wd40 is illegal on fishing comps aswell as vic fisheries and salmon roe is illegal but apparently are like flys on S#$T they attract so many fish its immposibble to change your bait when your other rod is going off.

threedogs
30th October 2012, 06:48 PM
Ab all I can say is he "caught you". Just put a piece of tasty or mottzarella on a 1.0 or bigger
and if any cod is in the area you'll get him.,,,,,,, really Bardi moulds
Scent gets them or vibration, WD40 works too

threedogs
30th October 2012, 08:03 PM
You can also melt the cheese onto those blue Chux wipes.
when cheese hardens cut into strips, now you have a bait
the smaller fish wont pinch, still laughing Bardi grub moulds
bet the inventer is on the Gold Coast with an umbrella in his drink lol

MEGOMONSTER
30th October 2012, 08:35 PM
You can also melt the cheese onto those blue Chux wipes.
when cheese hardens cut into strips, now you have a bait
lol

Agree, the MOST effective way to Cod. Although I use yellow Chux wipes fragrance free.
My other secret weapon for Cod is Ingham's Breast Chippees.
A box of bait for 4 bucks. The crumbs dissolve in the water leaving burley and a white bardi looking chicken strip. Just remember its a secret. Oh and you should take them out and dry in the sun, makes them crisp up a bit to stay on hook longer. And if things are slow, I go cocktail, piece of chippee(half), piece of cheese(small) and scrub worm(big).

Publicly speaking to a private audience.

threedogs
30th October 2012, 08:37 PM
Mego did you have a giggle over the Bardi moulds???

MEGOMONSTER
30th October 2012, 08:52 PM
Yes I read this thread months ago, just didn't want to stir him up yet, I was too new to the forum.

MEGOMONSTER
30th October 2012, 08:55 PM
You must admit that they would work a treat but the laughter comes from the fact they will eat the cheese doesn't matter what it looks like, even with Chux super wipes and wd40 on it. To anyone else they would find that hilarious and call us duck heads.

threedogs
30th October 2012, 09:01 PM
I hear you I've seen some weird stuff , but a chunk of cheese if things are slow, or two shrimp.
Pic is for Ferret

AB
30th October 2012, 09:19 PM
Mego did you have a giggle over the Bardi moulds???

Don't take the post so serious 3D....It was just to spark up the new section.

MEGOMONSTER
30th October 2012, 09:30 PM
Don't take the post so serious 3D....It was just to spark up the new section.

Well it worked. Sparks flying.

threedogs
30th October 2012, 09:34 PM
Alls good Ab timing spot on too with Cod opening soon. My Kiwi mate would buy every gimmick ,fad you name it
and after 8 years he's been coming with us, he's still to land a keeper.
I'm never serious

the ferret
30th October 2012, 09:45 PM
I hear you I've seen some weird stuff , but a chunk of cheese if things are slow, or two shrimp.
Pic is for Ferret

Flash as mate, mind you nothing has happened here SINCE 1897, LOL.
Cheers, the ferret.

the ferret
30th October 2012, 11:01 PM
I still reckon a spray of CRC on ya bait is a winner for the Murray Cod.
We use it on our bait here in the West for the Dhu fish.
Cheers, the ferret.

DX grunt
31st October 2012, 01:06 AM
I still reckon a spray of CRC on ya bait is a winner for the Murray Cod.
We use it on our bait here in the West for the Dhu fish.

Do we? lol

janderson
4th November 2012, 08:10 PM
Just a little trick that I learnt many moons ago that works a treat!

Go get yourself a Bardi grub cheese mould and melt some Mozzarella cheese in them, wait to set and you got one of the best baits around for catching the big one.

Go find a nice hole in the Murray and enjoy!!!

Heat small amount of mozzarella cheese for approximately 30 seconds in the microwave, stir cheese the spread open mould and pour in cheese. Use a blunt object to assist pushing cheese into each end of the mould, then place mould in fridge for 5 to 10 minutes. (Note:- Aniseed etc. can be added to melted cheese for extra scent if required.) Once cheese has set & cooled, spread open mould and extract cheese grub, cut off any excess cheese. Cheese grubs are extremely flexible at room temp. Store in fridge or freezer until ready for use. When fishing keep cheese grubs in esky until use. Then allow grub to heat up until flexible. The Cheese Grub can then be treaded on to most hook pattern without breaking.

You can also pour the melted cheese over a piece of chucks. Then just tear off what you need. The cod doesn’t go for the cheese, it’s the shrimps.

threedogs
4th November 2012, 08:19 PM
Yeah heard that and the clicking noise they make when fighting for cheese attracts TBO {the big one}
One day, One day or just put 3-4 on a hook,

MEGOMONSTER
24th November 2012, 06:52 AM
For those wanting to fish the Murray river to catch the illusive Murray cod must remember that the Trout Cod is protected and returned to the water unharmed. 22857

Never argue with an idiot, cos he'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience. Y2K

Blownlc
22nd January 2013, 06:44 PM
Your right there megomonster, however I'm pretty sure that this only applies between the Yarrawonga weir and the Tocumwal bridge. They say they're endangered, but I catch 2 trout cod to 1 of everything else.

I have also noticed that they prefer the deeper water, towards the middle of the river (depending on which way its is bending),

mudski
23rd January 2013, 06:26 PM
Why is aniseed illegal? We used to use it all the time. Back in the day when I had no kids and time to actually go fishing?

Bob
23rd January 2013, 06:41 PM
Why is aniseed illegal? We used to use it all the time. Back in the day when I had no kids and time to actually go fishing?

Aniseed is not illegal I have checked with Dept of Fisheries

threedogs
23rd January 2013, 07:28 PM
Black jelly beans or Fishermans friend have caught fish over the years

taslucas
23rd January 2013, 08:14 PM
Aniseed is not illegal I have checked with Dept of Fisheries

Yeah I've heard it was illegal but that was just word of mouth. I heard people used to wipe it on their fly fishing lines but if the fisheries catch you doing it know you get in trouble. Like I said it's only hear-say and I've never checked the law. Could it be different down here?

FanTapstic!

luke28
9th July 2013, 10:36 PM
Really crc or wd40 and chicken chippies and here I am using meal worms and tassie devils gonna have to try this

Sent from my IQ255 using Motorculture mobile app