PDA

View Full Version : Seting up for Family style camping

Biscuits
19th April 2012, 05:24 PM
Setting up from scratch, as I haven't been camping since I was a kid. used to love it, and am hoping that my kids will too.

So far I have bought

2x 60L Ice chests
1x 3 room tent
2x Coleman rechargable lamps
2x 4kg Gas bottles
1x gas lantern and post
1x travelers gas bbq
1x lil gas stove thingy and kettle
1x camp table & chairs
4x folding chairs
1x gazebo (coleman event 14)
2x Sleeping bags for the kids
1x double sleeping bag for the missus & I
1 x airbed for the missus & I
1x Cast Iron frying pan
Plates knives forks cups etc.

Apart from a tomahawk and mallet is there anything else that comes to mind to assist with setting up camping comfortably

AB
19th April 2012, 05:32 PM
I know they are not cheap but get a cast iron camp oven. Nothing better than preparing roast and veg in the afternoon with the family throw throw some coals on it job done.

Fishing rods

Board games

25 litre plastic water jerry can with tap <---Must have!

growler2058
19th April 2012, 05:40 PM
Im with AB ya gotta have a camp oven!!

And maybe a craptastic 2000

Yabbie pots (opera house types if allowed where you are)

Rechargeable bug zapper

Pump for your air mattress theyre a prick to blow up manually

MaYBE MOZZIE nets/fly nets on hats (see loveday meetup thread) nothin worse than a fly getting in your mouth while your takin a bush poop

Quality bug brepellant I had bushmans over easter but the flies were licking it off me gotta get the 80% DEET one

Dirt devil
6th May 2012, 07:36 PM
Mate, the best bits of camp gear I ever got for the family was 1) a torch each
2) a porta potti
3) their own chair each, make sure they are as good as yours.
With these few items it gives them their inderpendance, a place to sit thats theirs and comfort for the girls when nature calls.
Kids and women will never be happy digging a hole in the bush.

cheers Dirt devil.

The BigFella
6th May 2012, 09:14 PM
Sounds like a plan, depends on the age of your kids but we found giving the kids each jobs and responsibilities made for a more harmonious camping trip.
Our daughter was in charge of the shower water, and the son was in charge of the fire wood! Boy's love fires!
Try and keep it as simple as you can.
I agree with the other blokes, gotta have a camp oven!
Make sure you cure it properly and your camp tucker will be awesome!
Good luck,,,,,,

Trolatron
11th May 2012, 06:00 PM
We take a square plastic container to do the washing up in and it holds the kettle utensils frying pan etc.

Marshmellows are a must for us too.

Oh and rope for clothes line etc.....can never have to much rope..

oncedisturbed
11th May 2012, 11:07 PM
FIRST AID KIT is a must at all times, even more so with munchkins :)

For the new-age camper with kids, it does help to have a portable dvd player etc with you to help settle the little one down. I am from the old school camping but when I started talking my son out camping. Jobs to do is good like gathering firewood (kindling etc) is a good way to introduce them to the outdoors. Give the kids a torch / headlamp each for them to use / look after. For the real little one's, a playpen with some toys, mat etc - now I found this to be rather odd and went "WTF!!!" when I went out with friends but after seeing it in action I must admit it is a great idea.

I will add to this as I remember what else

4x4rookie
25th May 2012, 10:40 AM
nothing beats a stew or roast with veggies done in the camp oven. lots of great ideas here and i absolutely agree with giving young ones responsibilities. My to boys (5 and 7) love collecting fire wood. They will spend hours looking for the best stick to put marsh mellows on also, lol.

a pop up shower tent keeps the missus happy when nature calls. helps keep the flies away to. a happy family makes for a well enjoyable trip into the bush.

MEGOMONSTER
25th May 2012, 12:03 PM
A chainsaw is the best thing I've bought, was using an axe for ages and started to find real hard to get timber. Now I get enough timber in two hours to last two weeks

richardl
6th July 2012, 07:16 AM
We always take a fry pan and griddle with a stand also has a hook for the billy. I think its made by Hill-Billy. Cant beat egg and bacon in the morning!!

threedogs
6th July 2012, 07:57 AM
A good light to light your camp site at night minimum 700 lumens, solar panel might be worth a look. Buy a battery box with outlets and put in a 100ah battery ,its cheaper than buying one already done. Good set of knives in a roll up pouch. this is my forte, always have campers coming over to check all our gadgets out. We want for nothing at camp. PM for details. X2 on the camp oven, make sure things have a dual purpose like plastic containers can be used for the dishes etc.

Finly Owner
6th July 2012, 10:33 PM
Rid, First Aid kit, Stingoes, and don't forget the dunny paper!

Tim

threedogs
7th July 2012, 07:54 AM
X2 on the dunny paper on one trip someone forgot theirs, the going price was $1 a sheet, a box or container for everything, then you'll have no loose items,Kids could have their own.

Finly Owner
7th July 2012, 08:54 PM
X2 on the dunny paper on one trip someone forgot theirs, the going price was $1 a sheet, a box or container for everything, then you'll have no loose items,Kids could have their own.
Love watching the boldging eyes as you walk past the queue in the dunnies, as they stand there not going in because there's no paper. So you walk in with yours under arm, do what you have to, and walk back out with your roll tucked back under your arm.

I mean after all it has to last me all wekend!

Tim

threedogs
7th July 2012, 08:57 PM
You could get a higher price, mate years ago tore off the bottom of his shirt as he had no change, LMFAO big time, was a good Miller shirt to

Rusco
3rd August 2012, 09:48 PM
Must have a cast iron campfire jaffel maker. The best.

The BigFella
4th August 2012, 03:36 AM
after reading all the advice in here old mate's gunna need a unimog to carry everything to the camp site,,,,,,,,,,,

rkinsey
4th August 2012, 08:48 AM
Get yourself a large Tarp to go over the whole lot.

I have a 24 ft x 24 ft tarp that goes over both of our tents and has enough room to cover hte Dining area and kitchen. You will need to get quite a few tent poles and guy ropes (I made my own) and dont forget to get "Spreader bars" so you can hold up the middle of the tarp.

This will not only provide protection for all of your gear from the rain but also from getting damp from dew and provides shade when it is hot.

I also carry a few small 6ft x 5 ft tarps to put between the tent poles to form wind breaks. Helps to keep the gas burners from going out in the kitchen.

LED lamps are the go as well. We bought a "Quad lantern" which you can detatch the four sections and use as torches. Great value http://www.budgetcamping.com.au/shop_proddetails.asp?prodID=559

Cheers,

Rob

2TROLLFAM
4th August 2012, 02:48 PM
And if the 'girls' want a private poop spot when you're miles from a loo the extra tarps come in handy for making a toilet room ....

Steve4wdin
8th August 2012, 08:56 PM
The one thing every one has missed.A SHOVEL. That is your best friend when camping. Oh and x3 toilet paper

zd30elgrande
16th October 2012, 04:28 PM
It's a bit of an investment :-
A dreampot or thermopot.
http://www.dreampot.com.au/

It makes travelling easier especially with kids (I know because I have six).
When we travel long distances we will cook breaky and make a stew, pack up and drive all day. At the next camp stop, I set up while the missus serves out hot stew.
We also use our dreampot at home a lot instead of using a slow cooker. With the cost of electricity it just makes good sense to use thermal store energy to cook your meals.

threedogs
16th October 2012, 04:47 PM
Now I have i new buddy called Elgrande, brought a Dreampot years ago at Melb 4x4 show. maybe 5 years ago.
Still haven't used it. Already tasted roasts and other food from them just not mine.

MEGOMONSTER
16th October 2012, 08:42 PM
Mmmmmmm dream, pot

Jack taps here...........

mudski
17th October 2012, 06:33 PM
For those, like me who don't have a chainsaw. Get yourself a bow saw. Everyone who has used mine is amazed at how quick you can slice through a 12inch piece of wood. Chainsaw is obviously better but a bow saw is cheap as chips and do the job real good. But for kids, stuff the dvd player and t.v. No electronics when we go. Play in the river or on their bikes and they do this all day. I'm kind of spewin' I gave my cast iron camp oven to my brother in law years ago when I wasn't camping. Must get myself another... The wife wanted to get a porta dunny. I told her if she wants one, she can clean it, I'll crap in the bush...

2TROLLFAM
18th October 2012, 01:29 AM
The wife wanted to get a porta dunny. I told her if she wants one, she can clean it, I'll crap in the bush...

I was given a good tip - put a bin liner in it & throw it every use ... Yet to buy a loo & try it but sounds like a sensible idea

Sent from Sharen's iPhone using Tapatalk ....

The BigFella
18th October 2012, 05:56 AM
there are environmentally friendly loo bags that break down over time. We use these in our Jimmy's Thunder Box if camped in a group.
If not, its shovel and dig time,,,,,,,,
Better than the old plastic bag hanging around for thousands of years in landfill.

mudski
18th October 2012, 09:04 PM
Don't even use a bag. Dig the hole deep enough for the weekends dumpings, tie a rope with a handle on it to a tree so you have something to hold onto, you don't want be backing one out and back into the hole. When your done, chuck a little dirt over you bizzo and its ready for the next person.

2TROLLFAM
18th October 2012, 09:06 PM
Don't even use a bag. Dig the hole deep enough for the weekends dumpings, tie a rope with a handle on it to a tree so you have something to hold onto, you don't want be backing one out and back into the hole. When your done, chuck a little dirt over you bizzo and its ready for the next person.

Sounds good to me!!! LOL

Sent from Sharen's iPhone using Tapatalk ....

mudski
18th October 2012, 09:13 PM
Well the way I see it the less gear you take to set up, the more time you have for fun. I'm a simplist. Is that even a word? Simpleton then, earlier this year I spent three days up in the high country and all I took, was my fridge, my bow saw, swag, grog and food. Not even a chair or a torch. Bloody loved it.

The BigFella
19th October 2012, 06:53 AM
cant agree more with you on that point, If I go camping on my own or with my son we only take the swags, fridge, food beverages and a hot plate for the camp fire.

but for the times when we go with families and there are a few little kids and woman present, we have found the environmental loo bags a great.
They are scented and sanitised, so they help leave the site clean and disease free.
Who hasnt set up camp in the bush to find a foul odour lurking through the camp site late on a hot afternoon?

Havent even started on the "white flags" scattered through the bush in some camping spots!

mudski
19th October 2012, 03:54 PM
Havent even started on the "white flags" scattered through the bush in some camping spots!

White flag or Japanese flag?:1092: Yeah some people are lazy. Not hard to take a shovel and dig a shallow grave for your unwanteds.

threedogs
19th October 2012, 04:03 PM
X 2 just lazy people, more ammo for the powers that be to close areas. I've heard the Cape and Simmo are shocking.
How freakin hard can it be. I hate rolling up on the Murray then my mates and I spend and hour cleaning the previous PIGS
rubbish up . some people just dont care.Can't be education I've heard of bush edicate. We suspect locals where we go just too obvious
what they leave behind

MEGOMONSTER
19th October 2012, 05:36 PM
I probably shouldn't do it, but I go around to neighbour campers and tell em I'm doing a rubbish run, have they got any bags of rubbish to throw out. I normally have an over flowing boat load of rubbish and drive out to the tip or travellers bin located in certain spots.

Yeeleh, my car won't start. Woop woop woop woop.

The BigFella
20th October 2012, 07:38 AM
nothing wrong with that MEGO, helps keep the whole camp ground clean and functional, should be more of it I recon,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

threedogs
20th October 2012, 08:16 AM
It's all down to EDUCATION again, but then once a pig always a pig.
too bad can't name and shame these idiots, you can tell they don't do this
all the time. Makes you wonder what their place looks like. ugh

The BigFella
20th October 2012, 09:03 AM
"once a pig always a pig" how true TD,,,,,,

threedogs
20th October 2012, 10:09 AM
Getting back to the thread slightly, those zip up cupboards are handy to keep bags of spuds ,veggies, etc, off the table and away from flies and mice.
speaking of mice make sure all food and packets are secure in boxes over night. pop up rubbish bins are handy too, just drop in bin liner.

The BigFella
20th October 2012, 10:20 AM
and dont forget the night stalkers that indulge in your food stuff after dark has fallen, were talking possums, goanna's, koala's, even roo's can and will forage through your scraps if left unattended or not secured properly.

MEGOMONSTER
20th October 2012, 04:18 PM
I had a problem one year with a massive herd, about 50 to 70/80 heads if Cattle come down through our little section of camp(6 families that year) and literally pulled out tent tie down ropes from various tents and shelters, dragged the dunny tent about 20 metres, piss and shit under our eating shelter, down to the water for a drink. Knocking over four rods in to the water, lucky no damage. Kids were petrified screaming, crying and we couldn't do a thing, just watch and laugh. Lucky we know the owner if the property adjacent to our camping grounds and rang him to see if his cattle are still in the paddock and of course they weren't. As for all other creatures, haven't had much problems at all to date.

Bro, My car won't start.

threedogs
20th October 2012, 04:22 PM
And whats with the port bottle too, swear black and blue I go to bed with half bottle left but no
some lowlife thieving mongrel, oh hang on alls good remembered I stayed up a bit longer to ponder life. LOL

MEGOMONSTER
20th October 2012, 04:31 PM
My and my mate always have a "Bouston Legal" night where we get two bottles of cognac, two glasses( yes glass comes out), two giant cigars and still there all night drinking and smoking cigars, enjoying the serenity before the rest if the groups come as we go early to set up every thing.

Bro, My car won't start.

threedogs
20th October 2012, 04:37 PM
My BFF drinks light beer Don't ask me why, anyway he's usually last to bed ,but problem is he uses up all the wood
leaving nothing for the cuppa in the morning, I'm an early riser too. Like the Boston Legal thing too
First up quick clean up,check lines, re bait, crack can, sometimes not in that order

MEGOMONSTER
21st October 2012, 11:18 PM
Preparing now for melb cup long weekend going up next weekend to set up camp site all tents, amenities and caravan.
Gonna be a long day/ night cos normally we have four bloke go up and do it all but thus time just two of us. We do it cos we luv it.

Publicly speaking to a private audience.

Waza
3rd December 2012, 07:30 PM
Tennis ball, cricket bat & footy !

DX grunt
3rd December 2012, 10:10 PM
Botchi balls. lol

GQ TANK
11th December 2012, 10:43 PM
Shade cloth for under the tent and eating shelter.

Helps keep the area clean, kids can walk on it without shoes, protects the tents, peg though and if you are on sand - sand will fall though the holes

Also cloths line

Bugjuice
30th January 2013, 12:26 PM
Best invention ever is the head torch. Should at least one in the camp for cooking/cleaning/whatever.

Biscuits
23rd November 2014, 06:15 PM
Thanks for all of the tips and advice, it has made our trips away so much easier and pleasurable experiances. Now... the unimog was starting to look more and more attractive, but SHMBO put her foot down, so we ended up with a camper trailer :) Ticked all the option boxes, so no need to set it up, just add a few small things to make it a bit more comfy (read that as a queen sized latex mattress with 2 inches of memory foam... and soon to have an air conditioner too hahahahaha)

Biscuits
23rd November 2014, 06:16 PM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EVAPORATIVE-PORTABLE-FAN-COOLER-RECHARGEABLE-12V-CARAVAN-CAMPING-CAMP-AIR-NEW-/400801038145?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item5d519a7f41

threedogs
23rd November 2014, 06:18 PM
looks good did you split that log to boil the kettle swedish stylelol

Biscuits
23rd November 2014, 06:30 PM
Yeh, I had seen it a million times of facebook, and thought it would be a good chuckle for the kids to see that the oldman can do some cool stuff from facebook... almost worked but in the end it was still lame cos... Dad did it

threedogs
23rd November 2014, 06:34 PM
cool I like it,, I've only seen that style for starting fires.
Phfft what would kids know anyway great effort, the challenge
is now out there for quirky fire side stuff

Biscuits
23rd November 2014, 06:48 PM
I had an awesome spit roast set up too in this spot, but it started raining 20 minutes after i set it up :(
I will end up trying to make a smaller version of this soon too

threedogs
23rd November 2014, 07:04 PM
you have way tooooo much time on your hands, and they talk about me.lol
Love the paddle spit but I like my Auspit

Biscuits
23rd November 2014, 07:06 PM
What else are you spose to do while camping when the kids are quiet, the fish are not biting and the missus has a head ache?

threedogs
23rd November 2014, 07:09 PM
Why not,,,,,break out the cordless saw and drill and get into it , love it bloody Gold

Cuppa
24th November 2014, 09:44 PM
Of course the best stuff to have is the stuff YOU need, determined from personal experience. There is heaps of stuff in the camping shops which looks like a great idea but ends up not living up to expectations. I put airbeds into that category! Don’t try to by up an exhaustive list of stuff beforehand or you’ll end up wasting your hard earned on ‘white elephants’.

P4trol
24th November 2014, 10:18 PM
Cuppa' right. 'camping' is such a broad term. For some it is sleeping in a bivvy bag straight on the ground. For others, it's being able to see the bush from the 5 star motel. We all have comfort levels, which often change depending on the expectations of our better half.

An analogy that not everyone will get, is to compare your camping plans to a baby birthing plan. (for those wondering about a birthing plan: usually for first time mums. Often it goes like this: I'll give birth in this position, with this candle burning, this cd on, etc etc. It's all pie in the sky theory until you actually do it. When it comes time for it, that position is too uncomfortable, the candle stinks, and "turn that stupid music off!" GIVE ME THE GAS!!) But I digress.

Often we romantisize camping, and make irrational plans. The best way is to make a few educated judgements, and test them out with a short trip. Come back, analyse the success or failure. Ditch stuff, modify, get more stuff if necessary. (for example I went for a month long trip. At the end, I decided I didn't need the gas bottle, as I mostly used gas cans and fire. I also need to build a shelf to sit the water container on when stopped)

Lots of short shakedown trips. Practice makes perfect.

4bye4
24th November 2014, 10:33 PM
Cuppa' right. 'camping' is such a broad term. For some it is sleeping in a bivvy bag straight on the ground. For others, it's being able to see the bush from the 5 star motel. We all have comfort levels, which often change depending on the expectations of our better half.
Thoroughly agree. Missus and me in our 60's and still in a tent because we still can. When it gets too hard we will get a van or something. Until then tents and bar b cues rule.

RubberDuckieGQ
24th November 2014, 11:20 PM
I love our new awning.. it was listed multiple times in the "most useless camping equipment you ever bought" thread, and granted we've only had the chance to use it once so far - but we had shade, and it kept everything dry when it rained at night, and it was much easier/quicker than setting up a tarp :)

Bigcol
25th November 2014, 09:57 AM
we have a rule......... when we are camping / glamping
anything can come - but it has a little sticker dot on it
when it gets used, the sticker comes off
after every 2nd trip, anything with a sticker on it is turfed - not to be taken again.........

I have culled a shed load of things that way

also, sorry, but I have not used my Cast Iron ovens in about 15yrs - well, since the kids grew up
too much weight for never getting used
I have my Weber, 1 x pot, 1 x frying pan and 1 skillet

Bob
25th November 2014, 10:04 AM
After years of :-
Sleeping on the Ground
Then Self inflating Mattress
Then Camp Stretcher
Then Camping Trailer
Then Camper Van
and now
Caravan.
Ah the comfort for my old bones

Bigcol
25th November 2014, 10:48 AM
true enough, Bob
I think most people (most 4by4) transition
from swag
to tent
to camper
to popup
to caravan

not everyone I know - but thats the route I ended up......
some stop at tent, some stop at camper
either either, as long as you get out there and enjoy this great land, how you do it is not the problem

threedogs
25th November 2014, 02:15 PM
I always take too much stuff, but again I never want for anything at camp and dont like borrowing.
ATM I'm down sizing everything so I can travel as light as possible and not tow my camper.
eg are smaller tucker box and smaller battery box equal more room and less weight,
I like the sticker idea , but I couldnt throw away a camp oven just because I dont use it anymore.
It has too many memories of some great ppl I've met and camped,fished and travelled with and places visited
and the meals cooked
Probable why I have over 7 camp ovens, lol Ha Ha

Cuppa
25th November 2014, 04:58 PM
true enough, Bob
I think most people (most 4by4) transition
from swag
to tent
to camper
to popup
to caravan

not everyone I know - but thats the route I ended up......
some stop at tent, some stop at camper
either either, as long as you get out there and enjoy this great land, how you do it is not the problem

My camping evolution:

Various tents, to kombi campervan, to swag, to bus/motorhome, to rooftop tent & now to camper trailer. I suspect that a caravan is not something I’ll ever consider, but who knows what I’ll think after towing the Tvan around the country. Maybe I’m destined to follow in Bob’s shoes.........or maybe we’ll go back to a hitch free life & get another bus /motorhome . I just hope that our health & funds allow us to keep on travelling & camping for as long as we want to.

What has become increasingly important over the years, above all else is a comfy permanently made up bed & minimising the amount of ’stuff’ which has to be moved to access something else.

Bigcol
25th November 2014, 10:03 PM
I always take too much stuff, but again I never want for anything at camp and dont like borrowing.
ATM I'm down sizing everything so I can travel as light as possible and not tow my camper.
eg are smaller tucker box and smaller battery box equal more room and less weight,
I like the sticker idea , but I couldnt throw away a camp oven just because I dont use it anymore.
It has too many memories of some great ppl I've met and camped,fished and travelled with and places visited
and the meals cooked
Probable why I have over 7 camp ovens, lol Ha Ha

hahahahahahaha
and I have 5 of them.........
never use them anymore.... but
never get rid of them either.........