PDA

View Full Version : Ab's Sunwagon Camper

AB
30th October 2011, 08:12 PM
Well I'm finally home. Just did an 8 hour round trip to pick this up and I'm buggered!!!

I'm like a kid at Christmas time with this new addition and I'm very happy with it.

The guy has spent a lot of time and effort converting this Windsor pop top into an offroad machine and the quality of workmanship can be noticed!

Anyways, I'm exhausted....lol...Here's some pics below. I couldn't put it all the way up under the carport. The canvas got wet when he was showing me the camper so I have to air it out tonight but you get the picture.

I love the inside....He has put LED's everywhere, new fridge and more customized 12V gadgets then you can imagine!

I love the CD player and speakers in the roof too...lol

The tyres are the same stud pattern as Patrol's and the spare tyre was actually off his old GU so thumbs up!

Here are the details and specs as the seller explained. I have been looking for something like this for over 5 years now and the timing wasn't right for me but I just had to take this opportunity when it came up!

Our much-loved Camper Van is a very solid, comfortable and functional item, and has been part of family holidays for a long time. 1984 Windsor Sunwagon, with full off-road conversion. 4/6 berth, with U-shaped seating area, solid wind-up roof (with screened opening vent), canvas upper sides, zip-open flyscreened windows. Galley includes sink, Electrolux 3 way fridge (replacement item), Chef 2 burner stove with griller & oven. This has always been stored in a shed when not in use. It tows very easily, and is lower than the roof of the 4WD. The body is 2M wide.

Off-road conversion: increased road clearance and strengthened chassis, heavy duty axle with independent suspension, very heavy duty springs. Heavy hubs & bearings, 14 inch electric brake drums, 15 inch wheels (as on Nissan Patrol, Holden Jackeroo etc) with Bridgestone Dueller H/T tyres and. Draw bar strengthened with additional bracing. Coupling replaced with ring & pintle; however the original standard tow ball coupling is included and can be readily refitted.

Extra’s: Canopies to both ends. Awning. LED interior lights, external light, door & step lights. CD/AM/FM radio. 4 - 12V DC power outlets. Roof bars. Fire extinguisher
This is much-loved, but is a used item; there are marks & scratches. These are cosmetic only with no structural concern. Known are:
1. Dented aluminium exterior panel at rear, beneath number plate
2. Stone dents behind car wheels at front
3. Minor damage to a flyscreen (repairable)
4. Marks on lining panel (cosmetic only).
5. Moth holes in cushion cover over table for use as bed – due to long term storage (never used)

NissanGQ4.2
30th October 2011, 08:21 PM
nice mate, I need 2 get myself one of those, If u don't mind me asking how much did you pick it up for?

AB
30th October 2011, 08:36 PM
nice mate, I need 2 get myself one of those, If u don't mind me asking how much did you pick it up for?

He started the Ebay auction at $2500....Because I'm an Ebay idiot I saw it within half an hour from the start. I emailed him asking if he had a buy it now price in mind, etc.

He emailed back saying $2800 and It's yours...I couldn't believe he said that...lol.

I'm so happy with it, I'm going to fix that other trailer up now and hopefully get a $1000 for that if I do a quality repair on it and get some funds back...lol

AB
30th October 2011, 08:37 PM
There's a bit of red dust here and there. It's done a few km's this thing in the outback but he did take good care of it.

Woof
30th October 2011, 08:39 PM
Very nice mate, great pick up.

Silver
30th October 2011, 08:39 PM
Very impressed AB, you are going to have a lot of memories built around that rig I reckon.

AB
30th October 2011, 08:42 PM
Very impressed AB, you are going to have a lot of memories built around that rig I reckon.

I'll never sell this thing mate. It's the perfect addition for my young family now....Perfect for the easter trips and occasional big family 4wd trips.

wildgu6
30th October 2011, 08:45 PM
nice one Andy, looks like a ripper mate, camping in style now... with a few $$$ back from the trailer, it's a steal mate. Good work

AB
30th October 2011, 08:45 PM
I was also surprised how well the ring and pintle hitch work's actually...Obviously it clinks around but it travels well and reverses pretty solid too.

Old school army style....lol

GUtsy ute
30th October 2011, 09:01 PM
Well done AB,
You'll never regret grabbing that bargain, years of fun to come enjoying the outdoors with the family.
It's a carbon copy of our old camper that the kids absolutely loved, doing Frazer Island and lots of other
places.
Been well looked after too, I'm glad your dream came true!

Silver
30th October 2011, 09:05 PM
I hope you all like my favorite meal...

Tuna chunks deep fried with peanut butter and mixed in a blender with milk, anchovies with a sprinkle of keep dreaming lads!!!!

Be alright with the right amount of rum added :-)

Silver
30th October 2011, 09:15 PM
I was also surprised how well the ring and pintle hitch work's actually...Obviously it clinks around but it travels well and reverses pretty solid too.

Old school army style....lol

Telstra too, never seen one in action up close though.

How long before you are under there with wire brush and paint :-) Not that it needs it, but, new toy and all that

AB
30th October 2011, 09:16 PM
So you bundling the family into it tonight mate? Dinner and scary stories in the van tonight? LOL!

It's too cold outside for the family....Bunch of wooses mate!!!

I'm sitting out there now consuming some beverages wishing I was up on the Murray right now mate...LMAO

AB
30th October 2011, 09:17 PM
Telstra too, never seen one in action up close though.

How long before you are under there with wire brush and paint :-) Not that it needs it, but, new toy and all that

That's on the list mate, as much as I can't be bothered as I just did all this with the other trailer but for peace of mind it will be done in under a month...lol

Woof
30th October 2011, 11:26 PM
If it was mine I would be sleeping in it tonight AB...lol

growler2058
30th October 2011, 11:39 PM
Oh mate ur gotta happy with that absolute bargain pick up

Clunk
31st October 2011, 12:57 AM
that's a bloomin beeeeeeauty mate, what a great little score............. I'm trying to talk the missus into a camper trailer but she's not having a bar of it yet!!!!!! hahahahahahaha

Maxhead
31st October 2011, 06:37 AM
Hahaha, you must be stoked mate. bargain!

macca
31st October 2011, 07:25 AM
Mate you knew what you had found, we could tell by the suspence, we just had to wait untill all could be revealed.
Once it was safely in your yard the full story could be told, sounds like you stole it.
Just dont know how your concience could let you sleep in it after the price you paid.. :Yahoo!:
Good onya, great to see your pleased with your new camper.
Macca

AB
31st October 2011, 08:05 AM
Mate you knew what you had found, we could tell by the suspence, we just had to wait untill all could be revealed.
Once it was safely in your yard the full story could be told, sounds like you stole it.
Just dont know how your concience could let you sleep in it after the price you paid.. :Yahoo!:
Good onya, great to see your pleased with your new camper.
Macca

lol...It was still on Ebay for Auction as the guy wasn't going to cancel it until the deal was done...Fair enough too!

I would have hated for someone to see it and offer the guy more money.

In fact It's still on Ebay right now.

Bob
31st October 2011, 08:11 AM
lol...It was still on Ebay for Auction as the guy wasn't going to cancel it until the deal was done...Fair enough too!

I would have hated for someone to see it and offer the guy more money.

In fact It's still on Ebay right now.

Are you going to bring it on the Craigs Hut trip ????

Sir Roofy
31st October 2011, 10:09 AM
Well done andy camping in style now mate and what
a bargin as well

nowoolies
31st October 2011, 10:18 AM
well done Andy bl00dy ripper
you gotta be happy with that
so when you taking it out for a run

AB
31st October 2011, 03:31 PM
well done Andy bl00dy ripper
you gotta be happy with that
so when you taking it out for a run

I'll take it up to Craigs Hut on the 20th of November for It's first run so we'll see how it goes!

Robo
19th April 2012, 04:53 PM
that's funny looks a bit like the stolen 1 from my neighbours yard.

got ya
lol.
I'm a bastard at times

Robo
19th April 2012, 04:56 PM
Like the new section should do very well.
Another good idea.

AB
19th April 2012, 05:06 PM
that's funny looks a bit like the stolen 1 from my neighbours yard.

got ya
lol.
I'm a bastard at times

Thought you were being serious at the start...lol

megatexture
19th April 2012, 05:28 PM
that looks sweet so the kids sleep on a matress under it ? add some bigger rubber so they dont hit there heads so often!

AB
19th April 2012, 05:36 PM
Ive already ripped that large water tank off going through a river crossing at Easter...lol.....That didn't last too long!!!

megatexture
19th April 2012, 05:56 PM
should swap the tyres and rims/offset for compatible ones for your rig so you have 2 spares. thats what ive done touch wood not needed em yet!.

AB
19th April 2012, 06:55 PM
should swap the tyres and rims/offset for compatible ones for your rig so you have 2 spares. thats what ive done touch wood not needed em yet!.

100% need to do that. Mudrunner noticed that too when he saw it. I have almost rolled the camper on some steep bumpy climbs. I have a full set of Desert Duelers that will go on nicely.

megatexture
19th April 2012, 07:02 PM
can you do an axle leaf swap over for more clearance?. looks like you have independent with stub axles not sure if you will be able to with that set up from the pics.

AB
19th April 2012, 07:05 PM
Funny you say that. I checked it last night for that and It's a no go...

However, now that the water tank is gone and there is no axle so to speak the clearance is not far off the Patrol....Worse case scenario I don't mind dragging it through if I have to...lol

megatexture
19th April 2012, 08:21 PM
yea im the other way around my camper has more clearance then my gu it sucks.
wont you be putting a water tank back under there?

AB
20th April 2012, 09:15 AM
yea im the other way around my camper has more clearance then my gu it sucks.
wont you be putting a water tank back under there?

I'm not sure what to do now. That water tank was good, held a lot of water but it sat way too low. Most of my trips are only 5 days at most so 2 x 25 litre jerry cans of water and a few 2 litre bottles is normally more than enough as most of our destinations have clean rivers but if I was going to get back into long touring again I would need to consider putting another tank back in.

I was about to cut the frame off underneath that held the tank in place but I might just leave it for a while.

I'm also planning on making a slide out kitchen from the left hand side of the door. We never use the facilities inside, always just cook on the fire or portable gas stove so the kitchen sink inside is pretty useless for us. A slide out kitchen sink, bench and cupboards would be handy!

See example...