PDA

View Full Version : rope compatible winch?

megatexture
18th April 2012, 09:11 PM
I was reading some info about a winch the other day can’t remember where sorry but anyways they were saying that this particular winch was compatible with rope due to the brake location and something to do with the drum. i assumed that all winches were compatible with rope. Anyone know if this is the case? If so whats the go?

Thanks in advance

Finly Owner
18th April 2012, 09:20 PM
As far as I understand all winches can use rope.

Tim

megatexture
18th April 2012, 09:25 PM
yea im thinking it was some advertising $#!t this was the first id ever herd it .. ill have to find it..

MudRunnerTD
18th April 2012, 10:01 PM
Low mount winches have the brake built into the drum and as such the drum can get really hot with extended use. When loading rope it is recommended that you use a sheath to protect the first wrap of rope around the drum.

I believe that one of the TigerzII winches has altered the drum brake setup to reduce the heat buildup.

A high mount winch does not have this problem.

megatexture
18th April 2012, 10:10 PM
yea i thought it may have been a heat related issue, cheers.
ive got the rope just need to whack it on and wait for fairlead off ebay

TORQ4x4
19th April 2012, 09:14 PM
Yeah guys, most winches with drum brakes aren't great for synthetic rope due to the heat which is generated on the drum. That said, some of the newer one's are starting to do things to keep the drums cool. If you're going to put rope on a drum brake winch, be extra careful using it for extended periods to avoid heating it up.

We sell the Avenger MAKO TDS winches which have an external brake and are good for cable or rope. We also sell the MAKO KDS range which is a more compact winch for those smaller bull bars. The KDS range has a drum brake and we only sell it with cable.

Finly Owner
20th April 2012, 11:21 PM
Yeah guys, most winches with drum brakes aren't great for synthetic rope due to the heat which is generated on the drum. That said, some of the newer one's are starting to do things to keep the drums cool. If you're going to put rope on a drum brake winch, be extra careful using it for extended periods to avoid heating it up.

We sell the Avenger MAKO TDS winches which have an external brake and are good for cable or rope. We also sell the MAKO KDS range which is a more compact winch for those smaller bull bars. The KDS range has a drum brake and we only sell it with cable.

G'day guys. Thanks for the info. Hope you pull a big field for the comp.

Tim

the evil twin
20th April 2012, 11:38 PM
Yep, all to do with heat and whether the drum also houses the brake like the Warn 9000 for example. Doesn't apply to high mounts or low mounts with external brakes.

Steel cable has two advantages, it is an excellent conductor of heat and also has airgaps between the turns of cable on the drum. The manuf uses this to draw heat away from the drum and brake.

Rope packs flat and virtually airtight so it seals the heat generated by the brake and the temp sky rockets.

I've had to resurrect a few now where the bottom layer's of rope have totally melted and look like plastic dinner plates wrapped around the drum

04OFF
21st April 2012, 09:46 AM
Another thing to be aware of is, most "common" winches are not actually designed to be used winching "out", this direction works against the internal brake , and so will generate huge amounts of unnecessary drum heat quickly, make sure you try and only "free spool out" ,particularly if you have rope installed.

gec
21st April 2012, 11:32 AM
Just buy a Premier winch, external brake, highly over engineered and cheaper than warn, I have had mine for 5 years and it has never let me down yet.

megatexture
23rd April 2012, 12:38 AM
yea got winch already just replaceing a old kinked up wire that i dont feel confident useing anymore.