PDA

View Full Version : MK to be, or not to be but it is a question

nismine01
18th April 2012, 05:09 PM
Seems I've always been looking for more performance, cheap, there's never been the money to do a top job, never been able to put a vehicle on a dyno and trace what works and what doesn't. I remember in the early to mid sixties trying to get more out of my old FE Holden, a variable main jet, seldom used road, a bit of a turn on the jet, back in and time how long to get to 60. Stop, more fuel, no not as good, back off again.

Totally impractical, but I was trying it my way, the only way I could find/afford at the time. Move forward to the 90's, fitting gas to cars, still no solid way to test them but a little more sophisticated by now. Drive out of town to the hill, it's a 60 zone then to the point marked 80KPH, fourth gear, constant 60 till the 80 sign then flat chat and like the old days, see what speed by the time a certain point was reached. Over to gas and approach the hill again, with the accepted 10% power loss on gas I could check performance very basically, more/less gas till I had the best performance over my test track, sometimes I got better performance on gas than on petrol.

Rough and ready perhaps but when these are the conditions you have to work with you do the best you can. It was a big improvement over my early attempts, still I didn't have a hill then, didn't think of looking for one. I figure now, all else failing, that the hill is still the best I can do, given that it can be approached as required, accelerated on and has distinguishable points that can be referenced.

Now it's 2012, still looking for performance, now it's a Patrol, an old SD33T engined MK Patrol LWB, I've decided that I don't need performance over 2500revs, that is plenty fast enough on the road, it's also the point that I change gears when I'm in a hurry driving around in the city traffic. I'm looking at making up a better inlet manifold, perhaps a slightly smaller turbo, port and polish, larger free flowing exhaust, increased turbo pressure and fuel increased to suit and an intercooler.

I'd like to put gas on but that is cost prohibitive at the moment.

Thoughts through my head, do I improve the exhaust manifold, I believe the further the gas has to flow to the turbo the greater the lag , but headers, short branches before they reach the main pipe, what about a three port branch (1st part of the header) to a small turbo, two sets, small, rapid spool up, low rev power to 2500RPM is what we're looking for. I've read various forums, no-one seems to think like me, maybe I am the really odd one. But I don't know where to go with these thoughts or ideas, sometimes I just feel like screaming.

So, who has done what to their, or someone else’s SD33T. Anybody got realistic good ideas to share? I believe I can do the bulk of the work but I shy away from repeating mistakes that have already been made, “he who fails to learn from history is doomed to repeat it” .

I have lots of dreams for my trol, the minister for finance wont cough up for a later model, this MK is hard to ride in extra, HD suspension fitted, to over come that I'm thinking minimum leaves and air bags, a rear bench seat that wont move, thinking take it out and put in a draw system, false floor right through, just make sure I can still lay my seat back though. Still when the minister for war (same person) finds out what the mods cost she may wish I'd upgraded, wont tell her that the same mods would have had to be done on the new one.

Any'ow, that's enough rambling for now, I'm enjoying the forum and hope I can share as much as I gain, Ta guys.
:devilred:

“he who fails to learn from history is doomed to repeat it”

Finly Owner
18th April 2012, 11:18 PM
Well, where do I start?

Wht size tyres are you running? Too big will decrease power noticeably with theSD33T, I know! Increase boost, definately. And something was suggested about waste gate I think,to me. Bigger breathing exhaust, yes.

I am thinking similar thoughts for inside rear with Finly. Gas/Diesel I believe too costly.

MK is great work horse, off roader, not a pace car.

Once you fit all those drawers and fill them, you will want the Strong leafs, as the lesser leafs will cause body roll and lack of stability off road. Air bagsare more trouble than they worth, as you cannot replace them out in the sticks, unlike shockies.

Tim

iansmqshotyy
18th April 2012, 11:27 PM
is it bad im thinking of eventually ditching the sd 33 in favor of a vh 45 v8? rather than turbo it, a half cut is only about 2500 for the infinity (:

Finly Owner
18th April 2012, 11:28 PM
is it bad im thinking of eventually ditching the sd 33 in favor of a vh 45 v8? rather than turbo it, a half cut is only about 2500 for the infinity (:
whatever makes you happy Ian.

Tim

nismine01
18th April 2012, 11:53 PM
Wash yore mouth out boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nismine01
19th April 2012, 12:01 AM
Yeah, big tyres, 16X8 alloys of a GQ/U and large tyres on them, I borrowed a set off a mates car and did some testing, could I start off up my drive way OK yes could I start off on the flat in second gear without slipping the clutch yes so I went for it. (was going to give my age away then, about to say Uniroyal tyres) They are Bridgestone Desert Duelers. I'm not complaining about the performance, just think I can do better with it and was wondering who had done what?

Cheers

Mike

Silver
19th April 2012, 12:39 AM
G'day Tim,

I put rear air bags into Silver with a bit of help from Robbity Bob over the road. I agree 100% that it is a lot easier to change shocks than get coils out.

I have never done it, but it seems to me that it would be easier to replace airbags coupled up with leaves, than ones trapped in coils?

That said, I think you make a good point that the rear drawers/whatever may well increase the load to the point where the ride on existing springs is more driver and passenger friendly :-)

Nismine01, spring packs with less leaves should be more supple and thus give more articulation for off road, and as Finly points out above, more body roll. Air bags, at least the ones that go inside coils (I don't know about the ones for leaves) require some air pressure at all times - 5 psi in the case of Silvers Mr Airbags ones. this also takes away some articulation/wheel travel.

Are your rear leaves already of the type that has a curved spring pack that sits above some more leaves that are heavier, and come into action only with heavy loads? My old MQ had those. Apparently they are more noisy than the packs without. Dunno- it's what I was used to, and hard to pick above all the other noises :-)

Re the turbo plumbing plans you have - it may be that you are ahead of the pack in your thinking. Looking forward to the results.

nismine01
19th April 2012, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the contact, I'll get a photo of the springs in the morning. I'll highlight the EXTRA leaf, it's about the width of two standard leaves. As an ex (retired) motor mechanic I'm confident that I can keep the old girl going and I do like the idea of having the suspension supple and the vehicle easy to ride in for extended periods. Commuting Adelaide to Port Lincoln (8 hours) monthly over the last couple of years it's getting to the stage where my partner doesn't want to ride in it because it is so harsh. I believe the air bag route is the way to go, I will be able to replace it in the sticks if I carry a spare, to me the pay off is worth the cost of carrying a spare air bag.

Cheers

Mike

Finly Owner
20th April 2012, 11:59 PM
G'day Tim,

I put rear air bags into Silver with a bit of help from Robbity Bob over the road. I agree 100% that it is a lot easier to change shocks than get coils out.

I have never done it, but it seems to me that it would be easier to replace airbags coupled up with leaves, than ones trapped in coils?

That said, I think you make a good point that the rear drawers/whatever may well increase the load to the point where the ride on existing springs is more driver and passenger friendly :-)

Nismine01, spring packs with less leaves should be more supple and thus give more articulation for off road, and as Finly points out above, more body roll. Air bags, at least the ones that go inside coils (I don't know about the ones for leaves) require some air pressure at all times - 5 psi in the case of Silvers Mr Airbags ones. this also takes away some articulation/wheel travel.

Are your rear leaves already of the type that has a curved spring pack that sits above some more leaves that are heavier, and come into action only with heavy loads? My old MQ had those. Apparently they are more noisy than the packs without. Dunno- it's what I was used to, and hard to pick above all the other noises :-)

Re the turbo plumbing plans you have - it may be that you are ahead of the pack in your thinking. Looking forward to the results.I can't comment on turbo set ups as I have very limited understanding of them, so I hush up and listen.

Tim