PDA

View Full Version : Ringing sound coming from gearbox or xfer case

Cameronero
18th April 2012, 12:40 PM
Hoping someone might be able to shed some light on this for me.

Have an 84 MK Shorty. Approx 400,000km on the clock... Hey, she's almost as old as i am :)

Anyway, guy i bought it off told me that there had been work done to the gearbox, and explained thats why it makes a fairly good whining sound above about 70kmh. Sounds a bit like a straight-cut final drive gear or something like that to me... Apart from that, box seems fine, nice and tight (except a bit touchy to get into 3rd), no other funny noises, until recently.

Recently noticed during highway travel, that i can hear an almost ringing sound coming from somewhere under the car. Sounds like driveline to me. The ringing only seems to be when cruising. If car is under acceleration, or de-acceleration, it seems to disappear. Only noticable when coasting with no load either way on the driveline.

FYI, its a 5-Speed box. In either case i'm looking to get my hands on a second hand gbox (or get my current box fixed/rebuilt), as the missus wont travel long distance in the beast due to the constant whining sound, and i must admit, after a couple of hours of it, the ears start to hurt. I wanna see if anyone knows what this ringing sound is though, so i can figure if theres other work i need to do to it. Its just very hard to pinpoint it, as the sound only presents on the highway over about 70-80kmh (same as the whining sound... Maybe theres something to that).

Anyway, any insights would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Lyle

Robo
19th April 2012, 01:44 PM
this 1 sounds a bit tricky.
Had crook diff bearings once that presented noise at 80 kph and gone ,well drowned buy rd noise at 100kph.
and varied in intensity as you pointed out.