PDA

View Full Version : p40 engine info

Dave.79
17th April 2012, 02:18 AM
would like to hear from any 1 that owns or has owned a patrol with the mighty petrol 4.0

Finly Owner
17th April 2012, 11:39 PM
would like to hear from any 1 that owns or has owned a patrol with the mighty petrol 4.0
I haven't but I hear they are awesome and rare.

Tim

Dave.79
18th April 2012, 10:04 PM
Yeah they are mate the only other 1 ive seen running was in an old forklift!

MQ MAD
19th April 2012, 02:33 PM
The P40 sixes their in the G60s arent they ???

Dave.79
19th April 2012, 09:38 PM
yeah thats rite mq ...

Finly Owner
20th April 2012, 11:17 PM
The P40 sixes their in the G60s arent they ???

yeah thats rite mq ...

They were also released in Some MQ's, but very rare.

Tim

Crankshaft
3rd June 2012, 09:36 AM
I have a G60 with the P40 engine and it is one of the better 4wd engines that I have driven. It will pull away from 100 rpm and can be idled over a rock at that speed. almost imposible to stall and awesome internal inertia for poping up that rock face.
I had to fit a holden carby for the steep stuff as the original Nissan kept overfueling with the nose well up. the holden does as well but not as much. The combo of the small bore and long stroke gives usefull torque at bugger all revs, Put a chalk mark on the flywheel and play with the idle screw and you can count the revs by eye. (doesn't charge the battery much at those revs though)
As mentioned elsewhere I now have a couple of MK's with the L28 engines and am strugling to get usefull low torque and subsequently keep stalling them. The LPG engine needs 1000 rpm to get going wheras with the P40 starting off at idle throttle and 400 rpm was a doddle.
IMHO the L28 was a very poor choice for the MQ/MK . The L28 is just too undersquare. --Nice engine , loves to rev, great for the skyline, but wrong for the MK. A revamped P40 would have been much better. I am contemplating a transplant.

MQ MAD
3rd June 2012, 11:01 AM
I have a G60 with the P40 engine and it is one of the better 4wd engines that I have driven. It will pull away from 100 rpm and can be idled over a rock at that speed. almost imposible to stall and awesome internal inertia for poping up that rock face.
I had to fit a holden carby for the steep stuff as the original Nissan kept overfueling with the nose well up. the holden does as well but not as much. The combo of the small bore and long stroke gives usefull torque at bugger all revs, Put a chalk mark on the flywheel and play with the idle screw and you can count the revs by eye. (doesn't charge the battery much at those revs though)
As mentioned elsewhere I now have a couple of MK's with the L28 engines and am strugling to get usefull low torque and subsequently keep stalling them. The LPG engine needs 1000 rpm to get going wheras with the P40 starting off at idle throttle and 400 rpm was a doddle.
IMHO the L28 was a very poor choice for the MQ/MK . The L28 is just too undersquare. --Nice engine , loves to rev, great for the skyline, but wrong for the MK. A revamped P40 would have been much better. I am contemplating a transplant.

The L28 MQ/MKs dont have anywhere near the torque of the turbo diesel , and the P40s have more torque again
But the L28 will out rev both,and do it all day
Ive got both the turbo diesel and the L28 and on the same rather steep river bed, the little L28 has to scream to pullout, but the diesel is just over idle

GQ TANK
12th June 2012, 11:13 PM
Extrac:-

The P40 is the least common engine, although it is known to be a power-house (compared with the L28). It is a refined version of the engine found in the older 60 series Patrol. The P40 is a 4.0 litre straight 6, fueled by a 2-barrel carburetter.

It produced 114 HP / 85 kW power @ 3600rpm (DIN) and 200 ft-lb / 270 N·m torque @ 2000rpm (DIN).

The p40 in the 60 series is not the same motor as the P40 in the MQ

I belive the mining industry pushed nissan for a bigger motor as they where not happy with the L28.

I have read a post about someone from NZ efi his P40 Using a meagsquirt setup) - big increase in power.

My rb30 (carby) is rated at 100kw with 220 Nm and it goes a lot better the my old L28

CAPTAIN
14th March 2013, 09:57 PM
just bought a ute mk p40? how rare is that???

MQ MAD
23rd March 2013, 12:02 PM
just bought a ute mk p40? how rare is that???

Rare ,in the sence, but doesn't make it worth more,unfortunately
The diesel MQ/Mk utes are worth more and will sell quicker every time, same for same ect